Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Kitten health

Old April 10th, 2006, 03:22 PM

Red face The cost of Spaying and decawling a cat

A bit of a wierd question I suppose.

I might be given a kitten in the next fews weeks. (A cat at my fiances work is pregnant). I've never had a cat before, just dogs. I don't know if the cost is the same. We live in Ontario. Does anyone know roughly what the cost of spaying and de-cawling a cat is? And any other tidbits would be very much appreciated!!! (I've already decided I want a female cat). lol

Old April 10th, 2006, 03:33 PM
PeachesnSimon'sMamma

Congrats on your soon to be new arrival and even more so on wanting to get her spayed. There are others on this board that live in the Toronto area and could probably give you good references for various vets, though I have to ask, why declawing? Technically it's the amputation of an entire portion of a cat's toe and considered rather cruel and barbaric? Again, congrats and I hope you rethink the declawing part of your pet experience

~Those who KNOW better are responsible to TEACH better~

Jenn, Simon and Peaches
12/14/03
Old April 10th, 2006, 03:59 PM
Senior Contributor

Chibey,you'll love having a kitten in the house,I am not sure how much spaying is where you are,but here it runs from $150-$200.
Please,please do not declaw your kitten,it's cruel and causes the kitten a lot of pain and she might even turn in to a biter,since she has no claws to defend herself.It's not only a question of pulling the claws,the bones are sawed off,it's like you losing the first part of your finger.
Most of us here who have cats,are 200% against mutilating cats:sad:
There are always certain disadvantages with having a cat or dog(not to me)puppies might pee on the floor,chew slippers,cats might scratch the furniture,but there are ways to prevent this from happening.
Cat-trees,scratch-boards are all you need and keeping your cats nails nice and trimmed.
I've had cats all my life,I would NEVER consider de-clawing,so please reconsider,your kitten will thank you for it!!
Another thing,this kitten will expect you to care for her for the next,up to 20 yrs..
Old April 10th, 2006, 04:36 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I agree with chico please please I beg you do not declaw your cat.
If you knew what was involved you would shudder. It is not simply the removal of the nail it's removal of the tip of the joint. It's painful and horribly cruel. Many vets will not even do this procedure anymore. GEt some great scratching posts for your cat and many toys or a cat tree.

Also if your cat ever 'needed' to defend itself it couldn't and would suffer. It just seemed to be the 'thing' to do to declaw and now people are of the wiser.

I do hope you reconsider please it's just cruel and inhumane!
Old April 10th, 2006, 05:59 PM
Senior Contributor

Declawing is not a manicure. It involves amputating the ends of the cats toes, through bone and nerve and muscle.

It is banned in most countries as it is considered a totally unnecessary cruelty done merely for human convenience.

http://declaw.lisaviolet.com/
Old April 10th, 2006, 06:57 PM
cat slave

odd how you want to know the price of spaying ANd declawing...as if they were closely related.

Declawing is not necessary. You could just take the time every 2 weeks and cut your cat's nails and then there would be no scratching issue.

Are you worried she might attack or ruin any furniture?
If that is so, then why get it? You're trying to save a life and then amputate her fingers.

Please reconsider declawing, or don't get the cat.
Old April 10th, 2006, 07:18 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

The rough cost to spay and declaw all four is about $250 plus tax. Why not look at adopting a young cat that is already declawed instead of getting another little one declawed? Just a thought.
Old April 10th, 2006, 07:35 PM
Senior Contributor

BMDlover,it is probably twice that in Toronto,but I hope the OP reconsiders,just thinking of it makes me shudder:sad:
Old April 10th, 2006, 08:52 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
odd how you want to know the price of spaying ANd declawing...as if they were closely related.
When we brought our kitty kids to be spayed and neutered the vet asked if we wanted to have them declawed while she had them under. Kill 2 birds with one stone, I guess. We thought it was strange that she would even ask, as though it was a very normal thing to do. Of course we said NO WAY.

Chibey,DON'T DO IT.

Meowy Meowers - Angus n' Finn - 5 yrs old
Barky Barker - Skylar - 4 yrs old??
Old April 10th, 2006, 10:31 PM
Meaghan Edwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMDLuver
The rough cost to spay and declaw all four is about $250 plus tax. Why not look at adopting a young cat that is already declawed instead of getting another little one declawed? Just a thought.
That is an excellent suggestion. There are tons of cats at the THS and I can bet a lot of them have had both operations done.

If you do decide to have a kitten instead, please consider the alternatives to declawing. Here's just a few links:

http://amby.com/cat_site/declaw.html
http://cats.about.com/od/declawing/
http://www.peoriahs.org/declawing.html
http://www.petstation.com/declaw.html

Many more links can be found via Google with "alternatives to declawing" and "declawing alternatives" as the keywords.

Last edited by Mom_Of_Two_Dogs; April 10th, 2006 at 10:33 PM.
Old April 11th, 2006, 07:21 AM
Senior Contributor

Unfortunately"kill 2 birds with one stone",is the norm for many vets today.
It is a pure money-maker,no benefit to the cat,only pain:sad:
Sometimes I question why some people choose to be vets
Old August 20th, 2010, 10:42 AM

Hey hun, remember just because someone thinks it's wrong doesn't mean it is. We all have our beliefs, perspectives and schedules. If it were illegal, it wouldn't be happening. I'm not saying go right ahead and do it.. you never know, your cat might hardly scratch. Really odd thing, my first cat, half siamese and tabby, has never scratched up any furniture at all; opposed to my newer russian blue cat, if i leave him alone in the house he'll tear everything apart like chords and sofa, etc. He's the menace so I got his claws removed (just the front ones) because I had to. You're not a bad person if you do, just make sure it's necessary, but anyway I'm not here to change your mind.. if it's set then go be you!

But I do ask that if it is a kitten then... don't just get it declawed right away.. wait to see it's personality like I said, my first cat is more the cute ****s on the floor kinda cat LOL and my younger one is the affectionate scratcher. Just remember your cat might not even have a scratching problem, so it might be an unecessary action to take!
Old August 20th, 2010, 10:46 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautiful_lie View Post
Hey hun, remember just because someone thinks it's wrong doesn't mean it is. We all have our beliefs, perspectives and schedules. If it were illegal,
well I got news for you , it is illegal now in a few countries , and , many vets here in Canada and the US , refuse to do it. So that should tell you something.

oh and , that thread , is 4 years old , the OP is long gone.
Old August 20th, 2010, 10:49 AM
-

http://www.declawing.com/list.html

The following is a list of countries in which declawing cats is either illegal
or considered extremely inhumane and only performed under
extreme circumstances.

England
Scotland
Wales
Italy
France
Germany
Austria
Switzerland
Norway
Sweden
Netherlands
Northern Ireland
Ireland
Denmark
Finland
Slovenia
Portugal
Belgium
Spain
Brazil
Australia
New Zealand
Old August 20th, 2010, 10:52 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

If a cat is taught from the beginning not to scratch furniture and their claws are kept trimmed then there should not ever be an issue about them scratching. If they are not easily teachable there are tons of websites available to teach you how to teach them. But I guess instead of taking the time to teach your cat not to scratch it's much easier to take away their claws.
Just as a warning - declawing will not stop them from still using the furniture arms to "scratch". Just because you took away the claws does not mean you took away the ingrained instinct to scratch. After time this action will wear on your furniture as well and cause damage.
Canada and the US are the only two countries holding out on not banning this horrendous practice. What does that tell you except that we are waaaayyy behind the times. Both in vet practices and animal cruelty.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old August 20th, 2010, 11:12 AM
Senior Contributor

Please keep in mind that declawing has caused some emotional issues which lead to behavioural issues. Biting is one complaint made by 'clients' after their cats have been declawed.

Just food for thought.
Old August 20th, 2010, 11:18 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Hey hun, remember just because someone thinks it's wrong doesn't mean it is. We all have our beliefs, perspectives and schedules. If it were illegal, it wouldn't be happening. I'm not saying go right ahead and do it.. you never know, your cat might hardly scratch. Really odd thing, my first cat, half siamese and tabby, has never scratched up any furniture at all; opposed to my newer russian blue cat, if i leave him alone in the house he'll tear everything apart like chords and sofa, etc. He's the menace so I got his claws removed (just the front ones) because I had to. You're not a bad person if you do, just make sure it's necessary, but anyway I'm not here to change your mind.. if it's set then go be you!

But I do ask that if it is a kitten then... don't just get it declawed right away.. wait to see it's personality like I said, my first cat is more the cute ****s on the floor kinda cat LOL and my younger one is the affectionate scratcher. Just remember your cat might not even have a scratching problem, so it might be an unecessary action to take!
Cat's scratch by instinct, if you don't want your furniture scratched, then don't get a cat .

Tell me how a vet knows whether a cat is in pain? Does the vet have special communication skill . Just because it is legal, doesn't mean it is right.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old August 20th, 2010, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Hey hun, remember just because someone thinks it's wrong doesn't mean it is. (Perhaps not, but if MANY, MANY countries, organizations, and individuals deem something to be an issue; should it not be taken into consideration why that many people would be against it? There must be a reason) We all have our beliefs, perspectives and schedules. If it were illegal, it wouldn't be happening. Sorry, but are you serious? How many things are ILLEGAL and still happen i.e. it is illegal to murder someone, rape someone, posess certain drugs etc. and yet it still happens does NOT make it right) I'm not saying go right ahead and do it.. (Well, not directly but essentially you are) you never know, your cat might hardly scratch. Really odd thing, my first cat, half siamese and tabby, has never scratched up any furniture at all; opposed to my newer russian blue cat, if i leave him alone in the house he'll tear everything apart like chords and sofa, etc. He's the menace so I got his claws removed (just the front ones) because I had to. No, you didn't have to, but it made things more conveinant to you) You're not a bad person if you do, just make sure it's necessary, (Ex. "necessary" as in there is an EXTREME and medical reason for having them removed) but anyway I'm not here to change your mind.. if it's set then go be you!

I don't know much about cats, declawing, and scratching, but some of your points make no sense to me. To me any "cosmetic surgery" on our companions is completely unnecessary. I would advise anyone considering to have these done on their pets, to volunteer at a vet clinic and try to witness one such surgery if possible and see if they still want to go ahead with it after.

Please be careful what you advice you give to others and because this is the internet and words may be taken out of context, please make sure you are 110% clear what you meant.

This original thread is years old. Let's put it to rest.

"Many of the Earth's habitats, animals, plants, insects, and even micro-organisms that we know as rare may not be known at all by future generations. We have the capability, and the responsibility. We must act before it is too late." - Dalai Lama
Old March 4th, 2012, 08:00 PM

They are your companiions, don't let humans shame you

If you want to declaw your cats, that is YOUR choice. I have heard much BS about the unhappiness of cats that are declawed. Perhaps it had more to do with their human companions, than the declawing. Now, not all the cats in my life were declawed, but the ones that were, were never "bitter", never hissed, and most lived well into their late teens. with one living long past the age of 20. I fed them the best I could afford, I never declawed their back feet; those are the ones they actually defend themselves with; so if it declawing a cat, means it will be rescued from a cage, and years of being locked up in noisy kennels, do it, if you must. Don't let ANYONE make you feel like you love your cat any less for declawing them. Just please make sure you intend to keep them indoors. Oh, and btw, indoor cats tend to live longer as well. And please don't bother declawing the back paws. It gives them traction to jump and a fighting chance, as they fight with their back claws. I liken these rabid anti declaw guilters to rabid vegans and members of PETA, who use women as sex objects to get their stupid messages across, and so I tune them out completely. All my cats lived well beyond the average age. All were happy and loving, and while I hope the next I adopt is already declawed, like with surgeries that are painful for humans, there's a thing called pain medications and most vets will supply you with enough to get them through the first weeks of pain.

It's up to you and you alone. Don't allow anyone to shame you.
Old March 4th, 2012, 09:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyCatsRLoved View Post
All were happy and loving,
Speaks more about their character than yours.

Quote:
there's a thing called pain medications
Whatever helps you sleep at night......

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old March 4th, 2012, 11:07 PM
Willing cat servant

If you amputate your kids fingers up to the first phalanx that doesn't mean you love then any less I guess . If you amputate your cat's fingers/claws the difference is that they won't complain because they can't and you won't go to jail.
Declawing is an amputation not just the removal of the claw.
But the arguments about declawing are NOT BS and that's why many vets around the world DO NOT practice it.
Maybe some people do it because they're not well informed but that doesn't mean you didn't do wrong.
And don't worry peeps I'm not planing to continue on arguing I just had to say that

Last edited by hazelrunpack; March 5th, 2012 at 02:04 AM.
Old March 5th, 2012, 07:45 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
If you want to declaw your cats, that is YOUR choice. I have heard much BS about the unhappiness of cats that are declawed. Perhaps it had more to do with their human companions, than the declawing. Now, not all the cats in my life were declawed, but the ones that were, were never "bitter", never hissed, and most lived well into their late teens. with one living long past the age of 20. I fed them the best I could afford, I never declawed their back feet; those are the ones they actually defend themselves with; so if it declawing a cat, means it will be rescued from a cage, and years of being locked up in noisy kennels, do it, if you must. Don't let ANYONE make you feel like you love your cat any less for declawing them. Just please make sure you intend to keep them indoors. Oh, and btw, indoor cats tend to live longer as well. And please don't bother declawing the back paws. It gives them traction to jump and a fighting chance, as they fight with their back claws. I liken these rabid anti declaw guilters to rabid vegans and members of PETA, who use women as sex objects to get their stupid messages across, and so I tune them out completely. All my cats lived well beyond the average age. All were happy and loving, and while I hope the next I adopt is already declawed, like with surgeries that are painful for humans, there's a thing called pain medications and most vets will supply you with enough to get them through the first weeks of pain.

It's up to you and you alone. Don't allow anyone to shame you.
Just out of curiosity, how many amputee's have you spoken to? I have talked to two, both who have talked about how the phantom pain has ruined their lives. How did their doctors know they were in pain? Because they were able to talk. Cats can't talk. They can't tell you that they are in pain. Their instinct is to hide pain as much as they can as a weak cat is is a dead cat out in the wild.

There is a reason why the European community has banned declawing, it's too bad Canada's gov't still lives back in the dark ages.

Your last sentence speaks loudly ...

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/phantom-pain/DS00444

Definition
By Mayo Clinic staff
Phantom pain is pain that feels like it's coming from a body part that's no longer there. Doctors once believed this post-amputation phenomenon was a psychological problem, but experts now recognize that these real sensations originate in the spinal cord and brain.

Although phantom pain occurs most often in people who've had an arm or leg removed, the disorder may also occur after surgeries to remove other body parts, such as the breast, penis, eye or tongue.

For some people, phantom pain gets better over time without treatment. For others, managing phantom pain can be challenging. You and your doctor can work together to treat phantom pain effectively with medication or other therapies.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old March 5th, 2012, 11:30 AM
Senior Contributor

I was going to respond to"MyCatsAreLoved"because her reasoning made me feel ill,but notice you have all done so very clearly,thank's
Old March 5th, 2012, 02:55 PM
Senior Contributor

WOW.
I currently have 2 cats begging to be adopted in a shelter that were declawed and since this surgery, they are abandoned due to behavioural issues (which the people said were fine BEFORE the surgery.
Unfortunately (in this case) these cats are at a no kill shelter. After seeing one in particular there for 2 years, I just wonder if it more humane to euthanize.

I say as a rule, NEVER pass on bad advice.
My
Old March 5th, 2012, 05:08 PM
Senior Contributor

I politely agree.......

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old March 11th, 2012, 10:45 PM

de-clawing

I am really looking forward to the day the Canadian government will make de-clawing illegal, until then, we can only try to educate people about the pain it causes the cats and the adverse effects it has on them...

sandyrivers
Elphin April 21st 2008 m -cat
Stibule(Gino,Airell,Katla,Rasta)June 6th 2009 f- cat
Gino Ferrero April 8th 2010 m -cat
Airell Awenn Awnfenn Ep Berrth April 8th 2010 f- cat
Katla Chilam Balam April 8th 2010 f- cat
Rasta Farian Marley April 9th 2010 m- cat
Chipcat-Filou found June 12th 2011 (Ocicat 6months old) f-cat
Jane the Snow Cat rescued Dec27th 2012 f- cat
Old September 7th, 2012, 09:09 AM

I am not one for declawing - trust me, eventually the cat will not claw, its not worth it!!

But if you are in canada which I assume you are since this is a .ca, you can go to SPCA Clinics, which are not for profit and get your kittie spayed, and vaccinated for cheap. There is one in New Market and one in Barrie. I cannot reccomend the Barrie Clinic highly enough, they are simply wonderful!