Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old March 30th, 2010, 06:25 AM
Senior Contributor

"dead" dog lives, what is your opinion?

this was in this mornings ottawa sun, I read the article where it killed the pup at the end of January....I just don't know what to think.

http://www.ottawasun.com/news/ottawa.../13394871.html

A pitbull that was supposed to have been euthanized is still alive and now its owner is being dragged into court by the city’s bylaw department seeking a judge’s order to put the dog down for good.

The city wants the dog euthanized after it allegedly ripped apart Bam, a five-month-old border collie/lab mix, on Jan. 28 in Barrhaven.

“We’re basically taking him to court under the Dog Owners’ Liability Act and we’re going to try and prove the dog is vicious,” said Craig Calder, a program manager with bylaw enforcement. “Of course the city’s intention, if we’re successful with that — which I think we will be — (is) we’re going to ask for the destruction of the animal.”

Bi Pham was walking Bam along Chapman Mills Dr. the evening of Jan. 28 when a pitbull ran up to his puppy and clamped down on him. When the skirmish was over, Bam was practically torn apart, with a portion of his brain exposed, said Pham’s fiancee Kieu Tran.

They rushed him to an animal hospital but it was too late.

Brooks Pitre-Lanys and his pitbull disappeared after the incident, but they were eventually found.

Bylaw officials told Pitre-Lanys they were going to seek a destruction order, but the owner said the dog had already been put down. He was then issued a $610 fine and had a muzzle order issued while the city waited for veterinarian bills.

The bylaw department received a call Tuesday the dog was back in the Chapman Mills Dr. area and by Thursday were in court with Pitre-Lanys for an initial appearance.

Pitre-Lanys is planning to fight the allegations.

The dog is allowed to be with Pitre-Lanys while the case is before the courts but there are various restrictions, including putting a muzzle on the dog while outdoors.

“I’m furious to find out that this dog is still alive and still in my neighbourhood,” said Tran in an e-mail. “This obviously shows that this owner doesn’t give a damn about what his dog did and he has no remorse whatsoever.”

Tran said she’s going to push for harsher punishment for what she calls an “irresponsible and inconsiderate” dog owner.

“I just can’t believe he had the nerve to lie about destroying his dog. I can’t believe how some people can be like that,” she said.

Calder said it’s uncommon for the city to seek a destruction on the first offence, but based on the severity of the attack officials deemed it necessary.

The owner is to appear in court May 20 at 100 Constellation Cres.

kenneth.jackson@sunmedia.ca
Old March 30th, 2010, 06:43 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

*sigh* how sad.

I believe if the dog is vicious and can't be rehabilitated, it should be put down.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old March 30th, 2010, 07:25 AM

It's not so much that the dog can't be rehabilitated, its that it won't be rehabilitated. Someone owning a potentially aggressive dog should be very vigilant their dog doesn't get loose. Considering this guy didn't even follow a court order to destroy the dog, and didn't appeal the sentence he obviously doesn't care all that much.

Last edited by cell; March 30th, 2010 at 01:12 PM.
Old March 30th, 2010, 08:46 AM
Senior Contributor

I am not a believer in keeping dogs that kill other dogs. When it comes to pitbulls, amstaffs - one must know the breed very well to understand the limitations, pre-cautions, and I truly believe that anyone owning certain breeds should be forced to follow obedience courses (big dreams right?).

Sorry - but in this instance I believe that the dog should be put down. The owner obviously is not capable of handling such a dog. Is it the dog's fault? Perhaps not, but the 'wiring' is wrong and the human is irresponsible that led to the death of another animal that was loved and cherished.

My answer may be very unpopular and so be it. There is no room for errors, mistakes or an 'ooops'. Sorry is just not enough.

On a side note: regardless of breed, mix, small, medium or large..my answer remains the same.
Old March 30th, 2010, 09:53 AM
Senior Contributor

A responsible owner shouldn't have a problem with that, Benmax. I live in sheep country here so dogs must be kept under control. Around the time we came here a Samoyed and a Border Collie went on a rampage and mauled 50 sheep, with all of them ultimately dying. The neighbor shot the dogs. So, because he would have been nervous about a doggy person shifting in next door, I made a point of telling him that if he ever saw one of my dogs near his sheep, he could shoot it too. That's how certain I was it would never happen. If one of mine mauled (and killed), a dog I would take it for euthanasia myself, ditto if it attacked a child. I know others don't share my views, for instance a Kelpie savaged a pet ewe I once had and the owner , an Agricultural College student, just sneaked it back home to save its life, and what for, it wasn't going to be a reliable sheepdog after that. If he'd watched that ewe suffer over the following week he may have changed his mind. I saved her, much to my own surprise.
Old March 30th, 2010, 10:00 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
I am not a believer in keeping dogs that kill other dogs. When it comes to pitbulls, amstaffs - one must know the breed very well to understand the limitations, pre-cautions, and I truly believe that anyone owning certain breeds should be forced to follow obedience courses (big dreams right?).

Sorry - but in this instance I believe that the dog should be put down. The owner obviously is not capable of handling such a dog. Is it the dog's fault? Perhaps not, but the 'wiring' is wrong and the human is irresponsible that led to the death of another animal that was loved and cherished.

My answer may be very unpopular and so be it. There is no room for errors, mistakes or an 'ooops'. Sorry is just not enough.

On a side note: regardless of breed, mix, small, medium or large..my answer remains the same.
Don't assume that the "wiring" is wrong. A true pit bull is supposed to be dog aggressive. I have met very few dogs who had faulty "wiring" but have met a ton of dogs who don't behave well because their owners either don't care to take the time to train or are completely clueless.

No, this dog is not at fault - his owner is. However, the laws allows for the euthanzia of the dog - not the owner.
Old March 30th, 2010, 10:10 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by LavenderRott View Post
Don't assume that the "wiring" is wrong. A true pit bull is supposed to be dog aggressive.
Thank you for pointing that out LavenderRott. I know many people on this board refuse to believe this. But it is true.

I was at an "event" this week end. Someone had a pitbull , the owner was telling me how great his dog was , trained him for a whole year bla bla bla.... and what this dog do ? He went at another dog that got near him. No provocation from the other dog.

I know , some pits are good dogs , but most of them are dog aggressive , what you like it or not. It's within the breed , just like pyrenees will guard their family.

Now if one dog , whatever his breed , attacks and kills another dog , yes , of course , he must be put down.
Old March 30th, 2010, 10:56 AM
Senior Contributor

[QUOTE=LavenderRott;902827]Don't assume that the "wiring" is wrong. A true pit bull is supposed to be dog aggressive.QUOTE]

You know LavenderRott, I was trying to appease. and save myself the bashing. I have been taking pits from Ontario to Quebec, but only those that I considered 'ambassadors'. Others I had to refuse.

You are absolutely right. I just did not have the guts to say it.
Old March 30th, 2010, 06:10 PM
Senior Contributor

"dead" dog lives,

I wish I could say that I have met atleast 1 pit that could be trusted around other pets, hasn't happened and its always the macho - look at me & my powerful dog type - who end up with them. Any dog who savagely attacks, kills or maimes another dog or cat should be pts.
Old March 30th, 2010, 06:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Being dog aggressive does not make a dog a bad dog! All it means is that the owner needs to be responsible and vigilant.
Old March 30th, 2010, 06:37 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.pettet View Post
I wish I could say that I have met atleast 1 pit that could be trusted around other pets, hasn't happened and its always the macho - look at me & my powerful dog type - who end up with them. Any dog who savagely attacks, kills or maimes another dog or cat should be pts.
Just recently a 67 year old woman down here was badly mauled by a pit, or a cross, belonging to her son. He'd left the dog with her to mind. It nearly completely severed her arm, damaged the other arm and she had bites to the face. Her daughter (or granddaughter? Can't remember.) alerted neighbors who rescued the woman. I just hope that he wasn't one of those "look at me & my powerful dog type" people, I actually feel for the poor man as I know it'd be the last thing he'd want, to see his mum so badly injured. The Police put the dog down.
Old March 31st, 2010, 04:27 AM
Senior Contributor

In todays paper it goes on to say the man has 2 weeks to leave his condo (rented) with his dog, in the contract is a clause stating if the dog damages property, injures another animal or person they will be asked to leave or get rid of the animal.