Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old August 8th, 2004, 04:24 AM

Exclamation my dog bites and chews on rocks

i have a rottwiler that is 13weeks old
and he bites everyone and everything.
how do i get him to stop biting people?

Also he chews on rocks alot and
i was wondering if i can stop him from doin that
Old August 8th, 2004, 09:18 AM
Senior Contributor

You need to establish your dominance now, he needs to know who's boss. When he goes to bite someone say NO firmly and clap to get his attention. If he stops PRAISE he like crazy. If he doesn't stop I would move your arm/leg whatever out of his reach and do not egknowledge him until he stops - then PRAISE him!! That should be a good start.
As for the rocks, does he have proper chew toys, nyla bones, marrow bones - no rawhide! The chewing rocks thing he should grow out of! Please post us some pics! I would love to see your fur baby!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by psl_023
i have a rottwiler that is 13weeks old
and he bites everyone and everything.
how do i get him to stop biting people?

Also he chews on rocks alot and
i was wondering if i can stop him from doin that
Old August 8th, 2004, 02:45 PM

I have a rottie that is almost 10 weeks old, and hes a real handful!!

I had adopted him from a guy that could no longer care for him….little did I know what I had gotten myself into. After taken him to the vet it became apparent that he had an infection on his abdomen due to unsanitary conditions, abnormally long nails indicating kennel confinement for long durations and lastly, he is food/toy possessive.

He eats wastes, mud, rocks, leaves, paper, cigarette butts, ect. (Basically anything that could be swallowed) which blows my mind because he eats regularly.
He bites like crazy… his mouth is always open ready to snap at anything near by.
Other than licking peoples feet, he doesn’t give any kisses at all…. Like when someone comes to pet him, hell bite them instead of giving a lick. I cant keep him anywhere close to my face because hell bite- (which he has causing me, my bro, and a friend of mine to bleed)

I have tried:
* NO (He will stop once u say it but then once u begin to praise him he starts to bite again…so it’s just an on going no, good boy, no, good boy, no, good boy.)
* Ouch (It worked…for the first 5 ouches.. now he could care less)
* Withdrawal (He’ll bite at you as you try to get up and/or snap at your feet as you walk away, then hell go play with his toys )
* Watergun with “NO” (Doesn’t faze him at all…. And I’m left with a wet dog)

I haven’t tried the pennies in a can thing….and im searching for a reputable obedience class. (suggestions are appreciated)

Sammiec – My pup has a plethora of toys
Psl_023 – Even though were both dealing with problems it feels good to know im not the only one with a rowdy rott.
Old August 8th, 2004, 03:12 PM

OK, I know this may sound stupid, but it might be worth a try.

Instead of saying "No", I've been told to say "Ah-ah" - but it's said really fast and kind of through your nose (very difficult to convey over the internet! ). Like, try making the sound of the "wrong" buzzer on a game show, and then break it up into 2 very fast syllables.

Apparently, this is closer to the sound the mommy dog makes when correcting her pups. It usually gets a better response than "No". Use this sound in conjunction with another deterent. Some people on this forum have admitted to holding their pup's muzzle shut (not forcefully!!). I, personally, use the "large mouth bass" technique. Since my fingers are already in the dog's mouth, I just use them to my advantage. I hold her lower jaw with my thumb under her tongue and my other fingers under her chin - just like you would pick up a large mouth bass! Again, I don't apply any force - no need! She hates having my thumb under her tongue!Might be worth a try.
Old August 8th, 2004, 03:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Puppies bite!

A good thing would be to get these puppies into puppie classes ASAP.

Here are a bunch of very helpful links about everything "puppy" including mouthing and biting:

Puppy Stuff
Old August 8th, 2004, 04:10 PM

Hi LR. Yup, you said it - puppies bite! It's our job to teach them what they should and should not be chewing on (Phoebe's mouthing was minimal, and only lasted a couple of weeks - phew! I sure did luck out there!).

Obedience classes are very important (Phoebe starts hers this Thursday ). Of course, we also have to continually practice what we learn in the classes, or the tips and techniques we learn from this very informative forum!

I checked out your link, but instead of bringing me to the individual articles (I tried looking at the one on mouthing), it brought me to an add about Silicon Valley something-or-other. Did you have the same problem with the links??
Old August 8th, 2004, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Writing4Fun
I checked out your link, but instead of bringing me to the individual articles (I tried looking at the one on mouthing), it brought me to an add about Silicon Valley something-or-other. Did you have the same problem with the links??
It takes you to the home page from where that article was taken.

Anyways, from the page ur on, click on “behaviour” from the top part of the menu, then “dog behaviour” from the right side of the menu (under the pic of the lil terrier) and presto! (under the problem column.) ….its opened with acrobat.

Thanks for the links!! I have yet to read the articles, I gotta wait til Zeus passes out..

(ill try to get some pictures soon)
Old August 9th, 2004, 09:17 AM
Senior Contributor

Definitley get him into obedience classes and I would phone a behaviourist and speak to them this is not a huge problem as a puppy it can be curbed but you do not want any kind of aggression in a large dog. This is bad for you and the dog and perpetuates the perception people have of large vicious dogs which is usually the exact opposite of the dogs demeanor. But you must stop it now and work on the food/toy aggression as well. I always give my dog something either his food or a toy and take it away, wait then give it back. I can stick my hand in my Mastiffs mouth and he wont even put his teeth on my hand. This is what you want to be able to do you should have no fear of your dog you are the one in charge. Good luck
Old August 9th, 2004, 02:21 PM

Do not let your dog chew on rocks. This could cause a tooth problem and big bucks! My vet had a lab in his office the other day with 2 broken teeth. HUGE bill for the owners.

Heather and her 3 Golden Girls
Old August 9th, 2004, 04:17 PM

Mastiff lover -I don’t think anyone wants a vicious dog.

I’m continuously taking items away from him, giving it back. I do it with his toys and even with his meals – just to show him that im not taking it away and he does have his own rights.
His aggression is not a problem in the house….but he’ll do it in the backyard with little tidbits he finds…and even did it once in the vets office!

__________________________________________________ _______________

Currently I have 4 books at home about pups/rotties… tried everything in the books…I’ve read article after article…..and now I’ve decided to give “Puppy People” a call and get him into classes.
Level 1 = “This four week program is designed to give your pup the best starting during this important developmental period. We will teach you how to get rid of puppy habits like jumping, nipping and housesoiling as well as ensuring that your dog is confident around other dogs and children...“
( It sure sounds nice…….But I can anticipate being passed on like a hot potato )
Old August 9th, 2004, 06:06 PM
Senior Contributor

We're not talking about vicious dogs here - we are talking about a neglected 10 week old puppy who was no doubt taken from siblings and mom too early!

Get him into puppy classes ASAP. There he will learn proper interaction with other puppies and with people, and YOU will learn how to deal with the mouthiness.
Old August 10th, 2004, 09:41 PM

Lucky Rescue:
Yes, Zeus may have been taken away from his family too early. Was that MY fault? But please, tell me what I should do now.....Should I come drop him off at your rescue? Would that make you happy? Then should I go pick up a new pup? OR should I continue what I'm doing right now by trying to deal with his situation????????

Realize that I did NOT want a puppy with these kinds of problems.
Realize that I was NOT the source of his problems.
Realize that I DID and DO intend on getting him into classes.
Realize that to enroll the pup he must have gotten his 2nd round of shots. (Which will be in 3 weeks - if your curious as to why so late, ill gladly explain)
And lastly....
Realize that I'm on here trying to seek some assistance.

Oh and I sure hope your not implying that I'M neglecting my pup.

. . . o O ( It's so ironic to get such a negative vibe from someone that works in rescue )
Old August 10th, 2004, 10:15 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I really don't understand people sometimes
Old August 10th, 2004, 10:46 PM
Senior Contributor

We need a new forum for "Just Rants"! No answers, no advice, nothing that these people will get upset over - cause they obviously don't want any. At least, maybe we could avoid that one and not have to deal with them in the regular forums. They just want a place to spout!
Old August 10th, 2004, 10:47 PM

psl_023: How is your puppy doing? We haven't heard from you in a while...

Lady_D: I understand your frustration, but I don't think getting defensive and sarcastic will help matters. I haven't been on this board for very long, but I have noticed that, despite what they may think of a poster or their comments, everyone on this board has the puppy's best interest at heart and will do all they can to help. I'll let LuckyRescue respond to your comments herself, but I personally didn't read her post as an attack on you (you were the one who rescued the pup from his bad situation, remember? )

Where about are you located? Maybe someone can suggest an obedience class that can help you deal specifically with his issues (once his shots are utd, of course )...
Old August 10th, 2004, 11:45 PM
banned user

Yikes! Lady D, where did that come from?

Hopefully we just caught you on a sensitive day (we've all had them), and you didn't mean to snap at LuckyRescue, who was trying to help you. I'm sure you'll see that the next time you come to post, and make the appropriate corrections.
Old August 11th, 2004, 02:13 AM

Lady D is having a nightmarish time with her puppy, and if she hasn't been on this site much, she may not realize that Lucky Rescue is busy helping as many people as possible and does not waste words. I think if I was new to this board and was having a particularly frustrating day, I may have taken offense too. (especially to "YOU" in big capital letters) As someone said (Cactus Flower maybe?), we've all had these days.

Lady D, don't be afraid to come back! There is a lot of great help here, and support too!!! Lucky Rescue, Luba and others may seem harsh at times, but their help is priceless, and their hearts are 100% in the right place.
Old August 11th, 2004, 06:56 AM
Senior Contributor

Yes,LadyD,don't give up on this pup,without you,he probably will not stand a chance in life.
We know you are not responsible for his maltreatment and with your planned puppy-training I am sure you'll end up with a wonderful Rottie,he's confused and being a puppy.
You must care about Rotties to have made the descision to take him,they are wonderful dogs,as you'll eventually find out,it just takes time and a lot of patience.Whatever happened to him before you,will take time to erase,just love him and help him find out what a wonderful life he can have with you.
Old August 11th, 2004, 09:26 AM
Senior Contributor

I did not mean for you to take offence to anything I said but people have very closed minds when it comes to certain breeds I know this from experience. I also know that most of these vicious breeds are not vicious it is about the owners and not the dog. I just meant that you need to make sure that he knows that you are the alpha and will not put up with bad behaviour. We realize that it is not your fault, you are doing the right thing asking questions and trying to curb these problems. It is much easier when they are small then when they weigh as much as you. Good luck and I am sure that puppy classes will help a lot and also time as he bonds more with you since he was obviously taken from his mom to early.
Old August 15th, 2004, 09:50 PM
Chocolate

i'm sorry, it's late and therefore i've barely skimmed thru these postes (my appologies once again) but all i wanted to add was that Chocolate used to chew on rocks.

when he did it, he looked at me, waiting for my reaction. i learned to stop acknowledging this behaviour. soon enough he grew tired of it, and stopped.

maybe that's something to look into

for the record, HAHA, it was hylarious watching a dog attempt to gently chew a rock/pebble. he often spit them out,
Old September 9th, 2004, 06:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Just saw this. Did I say something wrong?? Looking at my posts, I see only that I offered advice.

Quote:
Was that MY fault?
Did I say that???? Sheesh!
Old September 9th, 2004, 07:02 PM

Oh, I remember this thread. Lucky Rescue, I don't really think you said anything wrong at all and you were obviously just offering advice. I think that someone who was feeling overly sensitive and stressed out could possibly be hurt by the word "YOU" in big capital letters (I know I've been hurt by things people have written when it was 100% unwarranted -- I call it my over-sensitivity which has some positive sides too, but definitely a problem at times!) It's just the nature of this kind of board -- we've seen it time and time again where someone misinterpreted the tone of a reply, and as I said, I've done it myself.
Old September 9th, 2004, 07:09 PM

I can only add to this that the biggest reason for anyone to take their dog to training/obedience classes is to learn themselves. I adopted a 10 month old "mouther". She's a Duck Toller (retreiver) and that was a hard thing to get over. She chewed, she peed, she pulled on the leash, she ran away. You can't just address one issue though. Training is a whole way of life. When the owner has been trained as to how to treat a lower member of their pack, the dog trains on everything much easier. Run, don't walk to the nearest/best class you can get to.
Old September 10th, 2004, 11:41 AM

Exclamation Water guns bad

NEVER USE A WATER GUN, my mother did that with our rotti and the dog hates guns for ever more if you have kids or are planing to while you have your dog dont use the water gun. i got bit because i had a water gun in my hand. Its not the dogs fult, what ever you use to disiplin your dog make sure its not a kids toy please.
Old September 10th, 2004, 11:50 AM
banned user

Excellent point, Shiela!
Old September 10th, 2004, 09:48 PM
Chocolate

i'll disagree to the water gun point.

it depends on the breed of dog as well as temperament.

Periodically, I have used a water spray on Chocolate. he quickly learned the principle of this gadge. he detered his behaviour away from the stimulus and started to focus on the water spray. he would try to catch the water in his mouth as i sprayed him. if i stopped, he would walk away.

he never Ever instigated a jump/attack at me or whoever was spraying him.

then again, it also depends on how vigorously u spray that thing at a dog.