Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 3rd, 2012, 08:12 AM
Senior Contributor

Are you saying they eat charcoal to soothe sick tummy?
Old January 3rd, 2012, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by growler~GateKeeper View Post
Just a thought here - activated charcoal (bit different from bbq charcoal but still...) eases stomach cramps & stops vomiting even severe cases. Dogs with confirmed or suspected poisoning when taken to the vet are usually given activated charcoal to absorb the toxins & remove it via poop.
Yeah, they give it to people too for alcohol poisoning, and things. The charcoal Roxy eats is not BBQ charcoal, it is the leftover charred bits from the firewood. She has been obsessive about eating anytime she can find it. If we had a fire one night she would be in there all day th next day eating all the charcoal that was left.
Peewee - Jan '06 - 6.5 lb Chi (adopted May '09)
--------------------
Roxy - Feb '05 to May '20 AmStaff (adopted Jul '11)
Myka - Nov '98 to Jan '10 - APBT X
Lacy - Sep '92 to Jul '03 - Sheltie
Old January 3rd, 2012, 11:11 AM
Senior Contributor

Same, i have to clean out the fire pit right away too.
Old January 3rd, 2012, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty11 View Post
Are you saying they eat charcoal to soothe sick tummy?
It's quite possible . Same reason why dogs/cats eat grass - it soothes their tummy/digestive tract, makes them vomit hairballs etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
Yeah, they give it to people too for alcohol poisoning, and things. The charcoal Roxy eats is not BBQ charcoal, it is the leftover charred bits from the firewood. She has been obsessive about eating anytime she can find it. If we had a fire one night she would be in there all day th next day eating all the charcoal that was left.
That basically is activated charcoal then, the firewood being burned brings it to a high enough temperature to oxidize it:

Quote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Activated_carbon
Activated carbon (aka activated charcoal) is carbon produced from carbonaceous source materials like nutshells, peat, wood, coir, lignite, coal and petroleum pitch. It can be produced by one of the following processes:

Carbonization: Material with carbon content is pyrolyzed at temperatures in the range 600–900 °C, in absence of oxygen (usually in inert atmosphere with gases like argon or nitrogen)
Activation/Oxidation: Raw material or carbonized material is exposed to oxidizing atmospheres (carbon dioxide, oxygen, or steam) at temperatures above 250 °C, usually in the temperature range of 600–1200 °C.
Of course some dogs just like to chew wood/sticks so maybe they both just like the taste

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old January 4th, 2012, 08:13 PM

Quote:
That basically is activated charcoal then
Yes, I did wonder about the soothing affect when Roxy first starting eating the charcoal when we had a bonfire in early October. She was rather quite irritated with the skin condition at that time.

I took Roxy off the fish oil again. She seems to be very itchy and has raised bumps on parts of her body. Yesterday was the last day she got the fish oil. It could be a coincidence with who knows what at this point. This testing I'm doing isn't exactly science! If there is a future in which I find a solution for Roxy's skin irritations I will try the fish oil again. If it bothers her then I will find a different way to supplement Omega 3 to her diet.

I also started switching her over to the Acana Lamb & Apple, her first meal with it was lastnight (she's fed twice a day).
--------------------

Last edited by Myka; January 5th, 2012 at 01:12 PM.
Old January 4th, 2012, 10:25 PM
Senior Contributor

I tried salmon oil and didn't like the results myself.
Old January 4th, 2012, 10:32 PM

Wild Salmon Oil made a huge difference in Peewee and Myka's general health and coat. I think it is quite an important supplement, especially for allergies and health conditions. Omega 3 is a natural anti-inflammatory. I take it too.
--------------------
Old January 5th, 2012, 12:21 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Just a thought here - activated charcoal (bit different from bbq charcoal but still...) eases stomach cramps & stops vomiting even severe cases.
Old January 5th, 2012, 01:56 PM

I found this from 2007, so provided this information is still up to date I guess I know how long to test each new food. I only have Roxy on the Iams food for 5 weeks, so that was probably not enough. Too late now I guess, she's already into the new Acana food. I will be sure to keep her on the Acana for a minimum of 8 weeks before making a decision unless of course she gets considerably worse! I don't know why they call it Acana Lamb & Apple, should be Lamb & Oats imo.

Oh, I have to remember to not give Roxy any of the chicken treats I have! I will have to buy some lamb treats with no fish in them...or just use kibble. Yeah, there's an idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Lee View Post
The protein complexes stay in the pet's system for 6-8 weeks. Therefore a minumum of 8 and usually of 12 weeks is needed on the food in order to assess response. It is important that during that time, nothing else if fed to the pet. Ask your vet as to which food they recommend if you are interested (there are both commercial and home cooked diets available).
Btw, here is the ingredient list for the Acana Lamb & Apple:

New Zealand lamb meal, steamed oats, peas, sunflower oil, de-boned New Zealand
lamb, red delicious apples, natural lamb flavor, flaxseed, alfalfa leaf, pumpkin, turnip
greens, cranberries, saskatoon berries, organic sea vegetables (kelp, bladderwrack,
dulse), burdock root, marshmallow root, juniper berries, fenugreek, sweet fennel,
angelica root, sea buckthorn, chicory root, stinging nettle, red raspberry leaf, milk
thistle, peppermint leaf, marigold flowers, chamomile flowers, Lactobacillus
acidophilus, Enterococcus faecium.

Vitamins (vit. A, vit. D3, vit. E, niacin, riboflavin, lysine, thiamine mononitrate, vit. B12,
pyridoxine, folic acid, biotin). Minerals (iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, manganese
proteinate, cobalt proteinate, copper proteinate).
--------------------

Last edited by Myka; January 5th, 2012 at 02:15 PM.
Old January 6th, 2012, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
I found this from 2007, so provided this information is still up to date I guess I know how long to test each new food. I only have Roxy on the Iams food for 5 weeks, so that was probably not enough. Too late now I guess, she's already into the new Acana food.
Since her feet got a bit worse this time being on it, IMO it was the right time to switch her to something completely different Usually if the pet gets worse or absolutely no improvement is shown during the trial period it's better to try something else than wait out the guidelines.

& Acana Lamb & Apple clears up all Roxy's issues

Old January 6th, 2012, 11:38 PM

That's true I suppose! Thanks for the well wishes too, I really do hope it is the answer for Roxy's sake!

Roxy's still has quite a lot of bumps today (hives?). I figured she would be getting a bit better by now with the fish cut out for 3 days now. Time will tell.
--------------------
Old January 10th, 2012, 11:31 AM

So Roxy has been off the Salmon oil for a week now (last day she had oil was Jan 3), and yesterday was the first day she was fully switched over to the Acana Lamb & Apple. Sadly, her skin condition looks terrible right now. Maybe she's still flushing the Salmon oil out of her system...? Dr Lee suggests it could take 6+ weeks to completely flush each protein source from the system, but I wonder how long it takes to see a marked improvement...?

Oh the battle continues!
--------------------
Old January 10th, 2012, 11:41 PM

Yeah, Roxy is covered in the bumps (hives?) like in the very first post on page 1. I'm going to give it one more day, and I'm going to put her back on the Iams cold turkey (without mixing). What the heck could it possibly be? Maybe she's allerguc to quality?
--------------------
Old January 11th, 2012, 01:58 AM

What ingredients are the same in both the Acana & the Orijen flavours you were using that is not in the Iams?

There must be something (other than quality ) that she's reacting to........ maybe it's a grain/wheat or a vegetable/fruit or some other vitamin/mineral additive - they're not necessarily always reacting to a protein

Nothing else has changed while you changed her food? ie new soap / new blanket / old soap but just washed her blanket etc

Old January 11th, 2012, 10:30 AM

Yeah, see that's the tough part! Trouble is she's not "cured" on Iams, just a lot better. If she was "cured" on Iams I would leave her on it and just supplement. The Acana Lamb & Apple is much different ingredient-wise than either the Orijen, Acana Wild Prairie, or Iams. Roxy seems to have the quickest, strongest reaction to the Acana Lamb & Apple. I know once allergens are in a dog's system they will flare up much quicker than the original onset though, so that could be the reason for the quick reaction. She is as bad now as she was when I took her to the vet when we suspected Mange. It took her three and half months to get that bad, and this time it took 10 days.

As far as environmental goes, the blankets are washed once every 1-2 weeks with the same soap. The dogs are both bathed every 2 weeks with a "frequent use" dog shampoo. Every second bath Roxy gets the vet shampoo called Hexadene. If Roxy's feet get really inflamed I will wash them with a mild Hibitane solution every second evening just before bed which seems to help quite a lot.

The rash started on about the 3rd day that I owned Roxy. I was given a small amount of Iams and a gallon bucket of the homemade food she was on. Since I wasn't given much Iams I started switching her to Orijen within 5 days or so, and she got fish oil . I am not 100% sure the rash started after I started introducing the Orijen or not. At first I thought the spots were bug bites, so I didn't pay a whole lot of attention to them.

I just fed her half Iams and half Acana Lamb & Apple. I will do the same tonight, then back to straight Iams tomorrow.
--------------------
Old January 11th, 2012, 10:43 AM

Here are the ingredients lists for all the foods if you guys could please help me analyze.

Iams ProActive Health Adult Small & Toy Breed. Reaction: Mild
Chicken, Chicken By-Product Meal, Corn Meal, Ground Whole Grain Sorghum, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Chicken Flavor, Dried Beet Pulp, Potassium Chloride, Dried Egg Product, Brewers Dried Yeast, Salt, Sodium Hexametaphosphate, Flax Meal, Caramel, Choline Chloride, Fructooligosaccharides, Minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Potassium Iodide, Cobalt Carbonate), Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Acetate, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Thiamine Mononitrate (source of vitamin B1), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Niacin, Riboflavin Supplement (source of vitamin B2), Inositol, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of vitamin B6), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid), Calcium Carbonate, DL-Methionine, L-Lysine Monohydrochloride, Rosemary Extract.

Acana Wild Prairie. Reaction: Medium-high
Chicken meal, russet potato, boneless chicken, boneless walleye, whitefish meal, peas, chicken fat (naturally preserved with vitamin E), sun-cured Alfalfa, chicken liver, boneless Lake Whitefish, whole eggs, salmon oil, sweet potato, pumpkin, spinach, turnip greens, tomatoes, carrots, apples, organic kelp, cranberries, blueberries, juniper berries, black currants, chicory root, licorice root, angelica root, fenugreek, marigold flowers, sweet fennel, peppermint leaf, chamomile flowers, lavender flowers, summer savory, rosemary, vitamin A, vitamin D3, vitamin E, niacin, zinc proteinate, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, vitamin B5, iron proteinate, vitamin B6, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12, selenium, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product.

Orijen Adult. Reaction: Medium-high
Fresh boneless chicken*, chicken meal, fresh boneless salmon*, turkey meal, herring meal, russet potato, peas, sweet potato, fresh boneless turkey*, fresh whole eggs*, fresh chicken liver*, fresh boneless lake whitefish*, fresh boneless walleye*, sun-cured alfalfa, pea fiber, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), organic kelp, pumpkin, chicory root, carrots, spinach, turnip greens, apples, cranberries, blueberries, licorice root, angelica root, fenugreek, marigold flowers, sweet fennel, peppermint leaf, chamomile, dandelion, summer savory, rosemary, vitamin A, vitamin D3, vitamin E, niacin, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, d-calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12, zinc proteinate, iron proteinate, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, selenium yeast, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Enterococcus faecium.

Acana Lamb & Apple (hypo-allergenic). Reaction: High
New Zealand lamb meal, steamed oats, peas, sunflower oil, de-boned New Zealand lamb, red delicious apples, natural lamb flavor, flaxseed, alfalfa leaf, pumpkin, turnip greens, cranberries, saskatoon berries, organic sea vegetables (kelp, bladderwrack, dulse), burdock root, marshmallow root, juniper berries, fenugreek, sweet fennel, angelica root, sea buckthorn, chicory root, stinging nettle, red raspberry leaf, milk thistle, peppermint leaf, marigold flowers, chamomile flowers, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Enterococcus faecium.

Vitamins (vit. A, vit. D3, vit. E, niacin, riboflavin, lysine, thiamine mononitrate, vit. B12, pyridoxine, folic acid, biotin). Minerals (iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, manganese proteinate, cobalt proteinate, copper proteinate).
--------------------
Old January 11th, 2012, 10:44 AM

I am 95% sure she's reacting to the Wild Salmon oil when I have added that to her food, even when I added it to Iams. I am pretty sure there is something else though. Since she has a reaction to fish, she could have been reacting to the high levels of fish in the Orijen and the Acana Wild Prairie. It is possible she wasn't reacting to anything else in those two foods.

Or...it could be something besides food!

Right now, Roxy's feet are worse than they have ever been. Before it was always just her front feet, but now the back feet are just as bad. Very red between the toes, crusty in some places at the edges of the redness, and she is uncomfortable when I spread her toes to look. The tops of her feet look fine. Her ears look really good right now. The fur around her mouth and eyes is still halfway bald. She is still wanting to eat her own poop (just older turds, not fresh ones).
--------------------

Last edited by Myka; January 11th, 2012 at 10:57 AM.
Old January 13th, 2012, 04:08 AM

Were any skin scrapings tested for excessive yeast?

The Orijen & Acana Wild Prairie both have fish/fish product in them but the Lamb & Apple doesn't - fish still sounds like it maybe one cause though

Couple of things to check to start & none of them jump out and look like a potential allergen.......

Each of the last 3 have apples the iams doesn't - any reaction if given raw/cooked apple?

Each of the last 3 have kelp the iams doesn't - any reaction if given powered kelp?

Same with pumpkin - any reaction to pure pumpkin (not the pie filling)?

Same with peas - any reaction if given either raw or cooked peas?

Same with alfalfa - any reaction if given alfalfa?

Same with turnip greens - any reaction if given turnip/turnip greens?

Same with cranberry, juniper berry, blueberry, black currant, raspberry, saskatoon berry - any reaction to anything in the berry family?

Since we're not sure it's not environmental.......

Each of the last 3 have flower/herb that normally wouldn't cause a reaction but if it's actually environmental they might.......

Any reaction when exposed to marigold flowers/plants, chamomile flowers/plant, dandelion flowers/plant,

Old January 13th, 2012, 08:55 AM
Senior Contributor

Why don't you try the test I did on Marty. It's a blood test about 75 bucks to test for histamines.....which means if its positive there is an allergy happening.....if it's negative then it's something else. Now Marty tested negative both times and make sure there is no steroid creams, sprays or pills prior to the test. It's a good idea to do it while she is reacting so bad right now.
Old January 13th, 2012, 10:33 AM

Thanks for all the input Growler! Roxy had skin scrapings done on October 22nd the vet didn't find any parasites, nor any fungi, abnormal bacteria, or yeast. I was looking at peas and kelp too mainly. I have to get her back onto the Iams and not so flared up before I start testing again. This is such a slow process. It will probably be 3-4 weeks on the Iams before I will test an ingredient.

Marty, I had no idea such a test existed. That is brilliant. I will call my vet to ask about it, thanks!

Here are some pics of her toes at the worst...I have been cleaning them with a mild Hibitane solution in the evenings so they are much better now. Notice in the first one the creamy stuff in between her toes. It looks like degradation of the skin (infection starting?). This is mostly gone now I have been cleaning. Pics are from the 11th just before I cleaned them the first time.

--------------------
Old January 14th, 2012, 04:43 PM

So I talked to my Vet and there is no blood test available "here" that tests for histamines. I tried the University Vet, but they are only open for emergencies on the weekend. My Vet mentioned the allergy testing blood test for ~$800, but it can't be done locally. There is a place 6 hours away that does it. She didn't mention if we could send blood there or whether the dog actually has to be there. I didn't ask much about it, not interested right now.

My Vet really wants me to try one of the Prescription diets (gee I saw that one coming). When questioned about meat content, she (receptionist) said that dogs are omnivores and really can live perfectly healthy lives as vegetarians if need be. She also said that Hill's and MediCal measure all their meats in dry form so the meat content is more accurate. I'm thinkin Chicken Meal is Chicken Meal, no? And Chicken is Chicken? Pretty sure I can tell by reading the label which meats are weighed dry and which are weighed wet. Either way, OMG there is like no freaking meat in those diets. Number one ingredient on the z/d (hydrolyzed protein anti-allergen diet) is STARCH! Wtf?

Yeah, so...back to the Iams which surprisingly looks like way better food than the Hill's!
--------------------
Old January 14th, 2012, 05:01 PM
Senior Contributor

You can have the blood drawn and sent to someplace like Spectrum Labs or varl for a blood allergy tests. Some vets don't like them, but they were incredibly helpful for both my dogs.

I don't think you're going to figure this out unless you go on a homeprepared trial. It could very well be the chicken, even though seems better on the Iams. Until you have control over the ingredients, it's all a shot in the dark.
Old January 14th, 2012, 05:21 PM
Senior Contributor

I did home cooking for about three months, it was ground beef, quinoa, spinach, sweet potatoes, green peas. That's all she had. No change unfortunately, but it's worth a try.
Old January 14th, 2012, 10:32 PM

I'm going to put Roxy back on Iams for 6 weeks or so, then I will try her on California Naturals. Not sure whether to try the Lamb or the Chicken. If that doesn't work I will consider doing a home-cooked recipe. Due to Roxy's size, I'm not too keen on preparing such large volumes of homemade food.

Marty, where did you get the histamine blood test for $75? This is obviously different than the $800 allergy testing. It would be nice to know for sure that it is an allergy. If this is something else like auto-immune or yeast it would be best to not waste time messing around with food! I'm not ready to spend $800 on the full allergy testing.
--------------------
Old January 15th, 2012, 02:16 AM
Senior Contributor

Allergy testing is different. I got a test done to see if there were histamines present.
Old January 15th, 2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty11 View Post
Allergy testing is different. I got a test done to see if there were histamines present.
Yes I understand. Where did you get this done? Was it in-house at your local vet or did they send it somewhere? I'm wondering if there is somewhere I can send it myself (preferrably in Canada).
--------------------
Old January 15th, 2012, 12:45 PM
Senior Contributor

I'll check with my vet to see what it's called, it was sent to a local lab in Ontario.
Old January 16th, 2012, 01:13 AM

Ok, thanks so much Marty!
--------------------
Old January 16th, 2012, 11:22 AM
Senior Contributor

"Canine Allergy Screen"
Old January 16th, 2012, 11:25 AM

Ok thank you, I will hunt around and see if I can find a lab nearby.
--------------------