Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old May 4th, 2005, 08:56 PM
banned user

You know your dog is spoiled when.....

Raj has a single bed in the living room, which sits on the floor between my desk and the couch.
My Mom had come over to visit, and was sitting on the couch, chatting with me. I was sitting at my desk.
Raj was on the bed, between us, scrunched waaaaay over to one side against the wall . As my Mom and I talked, Raj would groan, get out of bed, stand staring at me, groan/grumble again, then squeeeeeeze back onto the far side of the bed.
We kept chatting. Raj kept groaning, standing, staring at me, groaning and returning to the very far side of the bed in that horribly squooshed position.
As my Mom is talking, I casually look to see what Raj's problem is. I notice that there is a little clump of sand in the middle of her bed. Like half a teaspoon's worth. Probably came in on the bottom of her feet. THAT is what Raj is groaning about, THAT is what she keeps staring at me to fix, and THAT is why this huge animal is squishing herself against the wall and complaining!
Oh geez. I realize then that I have been way too meticulous about keeping her bedsheets clean and smoothed out, as well as keeping RAJ meticulously clean! I should have seen this coming when she started refusing to sit or lie down outside without a blanket laid down for her.
Anyway, I started giggling, Mom asked what that was about, and I told her what I'd realized Raj's complaint was. Mom said "no way". I said "watch". The next time Raj groaned, got out of bed and stood to stare at me, I went over and swiped the sand off. She jumped right into the middle of the bed, like she usually does, stretched out, and went to sleep.

Ok, that's my confession. Now what are yours? How spoiled are your pets?

Last edited by Cactus Flower; May 4th, 2005 at 08:59 PM.
Old May 4th, 2005, 09:03 PM

lol lol lol
With our dogs it's toys under the sofa. There will be like 25 toys all over and Jemma will make little grumbly howls to have the ONE toy under the sofa. And then they drop it back under the sofa two minutes later and start all over again. Sometimes Jemma makes the little grumblies just to have a chat. It drives me nuts because I'm crawling around looking under stuff and she keeps grumbling...
Old May 4th, 2005, 09:42 PM

Talking Spoiled pets

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who spoils her pets!! LOL
I have a Lab/Shepherd named Velvet, who weighs 96 lbs, and she isn't fat, just a big dog. A purebred Lab named Jet, and a tortoise shell cat named Samantha (Sammy).
One of their favourite spoilings, is to sit when I'm eating my breakfast, patiently waiting for a bite of toast. Never fails.
Also, usually wherever the car goes, they go too, and they get so-o-o-o-o
excited when I get my car keys.
Velvet I raised from an 8 month old puppy, Jet I rescued from imprisonment in an old foundation after his owners moved to Calgary and just left him behind. Sammy I got from one of our local animal shelters.
I live alone, and my animals are like children. And great company.
Old May 4th, 2005, 09:44 PM
banned user

Great story!!! :love: I love the fact that she grumbles to get what she wants!

Well the only one who is spoiled is my Sneaky. Cats are not allowed to sleep in our room... the hair is awful, plus I don't get any sleep. Well at night she'll hear us go to the bedroom and fly out from where ever she was hiding and rub her head against anything that is standing still. All through the hallway she'll rub her head against the wall leading to our room... I see her face and tell her to go downstairs to bed and she turns around and flips her tail up and talks to me like she's telling me where to go!
I normally give in
Old May 5th, 2005, 07:58 AM
Senior Contributor

I could not even begin to tell you all the little quirks and demands of my cats...waaay too many They have both me and my husband on THEIR timetable and if we stray from their habits and wants,they will let us know.
This is partly because we have no other"kids"living here anymore and I am home all day and partly because we love them sooo much,so it's not being spoiled,just being loved,like all animals should be :love:
Old May 5th, 2005, 08:40 AM

There is a chair right behind the table where I sit to do homework. Belle likes to sit there and chew something while I study. She constantly drops it and does the grumble thing so I will pick it up! If I do it will be about 2 mins and its on the floor again and she is grumbling! After the one time I pick it up I lovingly help her off the chair to get it for herself.
Old May 5th, 2005, 09:00 AM
Senior Contributor

The other night I went to bed, and Daisy was leaning against the couch Cheryl was on. She kept looking up at Cheryl and whining and grumbling. Cheryl couldn't figure out what was going on, and when Daisy looked up the stairs, Cheryl said, "Well, go ahead!" Daisy took off and came up to bed. Apparently, she wanted Cheryl to go to bed!
If I'm leaving the house, as soon as I slip my shoes on, Daisy is right there. (I swear, sometimes we have to call her two or three times to get her attention, but she can hear a shoe slip on from 200 paces!) I honestly try to avoid looking her in the eyes if I don't want to take her. If I do look at her, I'll say, "Sorry, pup!". She'll slowly stop wagging her tail, and just stare at me right in the eyes. I swear she makes them bigger, and even gets her ears to droop a bit! There's been times where I've left the house, then came back in to get her because I feel guilty! Cheryl just laughs, and says she's afraid of us having a daughter, because I'll be wrapped around her finger.
Old May 5th, 2005, 09:53 AM

Our Boyz will sit on the bench at the front window and we will toss toys at them and they try to catch them ... if they miss or the toy falls off the bench they won't get off the bench to get it ... they just sit there and wait for us to pick up the toy and give it to them or toss it for them again!!
Old May 5th, 2005, 10:12 AM
Senior Contributor

As sad as it is, James and I are spoiling my sisters cats during their stay with us.... Morgan already has us wrapped around her paw..... She does this thing where she follows you meowing if she wants something. So we follow her to see what it is. Well, she always has to walk around the ENTIRE house, before she gets to what she really wants. 90% of the time she just looks into her food dish (still full) then goes over to Spooks pail, where we keep his bags of food in and meows again. For some reason, she just has to have the weight management formula...... It is eaither the food or she just wants you to follow her. When it is that. She just ends up laying down, and going to sleep....
Old May 5th, 2005, 10:38 AM
And Zoodle's Mom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwinn
The other night I went to bed, and Daisy was leaning against the couch Cheryl was on. She kept looking up at Cheryl and whining and grumbling. Cheryl couldn't figure out what was going on, and when Daisy looked up the stairs, Cheryl said, "Well, go ahead!" Daisy took off and came up to bed. Apparently, she wanted Cheryl to go to bed!
:king: Copper does the same thingif I stay up later than normal! He'll sit in front of me and whine (by this time, he's half asleep!). So I have to get up off the couch and walk him into the bedroom and help him on the bed!!! He'll put his front paws up and I have to lift his bum up on the bed!! He'll lay in bed and start to whine, so I'll go check up on him and he appears fine. I'll leave the room and he'll continue to whine so then I know he wants me to go to bed too! And when I go to bed he's fine!

Other ways my boy is spoiled.........I could probably write a book!!! Here's a few:
1)When he's outside, he always gets a blanket to lay on. Whether he's laying on the deck or in the grass or on the picnic table - he gets a blanket! And when it's a cooler day, and he wants to stay out, I wrap him up in his blankey!! At work, since we don't have a couch here , Copper has a rug to lay on. On the rug is a blanket, a sleeping bag, and another blanket on top! If he wants to lay out in the shop or in the sun outside, the pile of blankets go with him!
2)In the Jeep, it's filled with yet more blankets and foam padding!
3)At home, he never lays on the floor unless he gets too hot laying on the couch! It's his decision!
4)If he's on the loveseat with me, I let him sprawl out or lay in which ever position he likes. If it's really uncomfortable for me, I usually go in the floor!!!
5)I give my fiance heck if he bugs my dog or kicks him off the couch!
6)I never leave home without him!

ok, i'll stop here! He's prob treated better than the royal family!
Old May 5th, 2005, 10:43 AM
Senior Contributor

Sam will only drink water from the brita in the fridge,

if my husband give him tap water he turns his nose and comes and begs me for water

I dont blame him I dislike tap water too

Eleni
"I used to look at [my dog] Smokey and think, 'If you were a little smarter you could tell me what you were thinking,' and he'd look at me like he was saying, 'If you were a little smarter, I wouldn't have to.'" - Fred Jungclaus
Old May 5th, 2005, 10:49 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleni
Sam will only drink water from the brita in the fridge,

if my husband give him tap water he turns his nose and comes and begs me for water

I dont blame him I dislike tap water too

Eleni

Too cute.

I aggree with tap water, city water anyways. I grew up on well water, and when James and I moved to a big city, we couldn't stand the water. We are now so picky, we have tto buy Deer Park water for ourselves and Judith. We won't make her bottles unless it is with the Deer Park brand.....
Old May 5th, 2005, 10:49 AM
Senior Contributor

Your guys stories are all so cute! Our pets deserved to be spolied. Well I guess one of the things I can think of (could be here all day telling you stories) when Meater was sleeping in the bed with us and he would be in the way we would want him to move. We would tell him to move or point and pat the bed where we wanted him he would look at me like mom I would love to but I am so tired. LOL So Justin has to pick him up to move him and Meater will look at him like thanks dad. Rotten dogs!

Proud mommy to...
Meat Loaf (Brittany Spaniel) 13 months
CryBaby (5 years old)living with grandpa now
Chino (Doberman mix) 7 months old
2 new kittens (8 weeks old) Felix and Gizmo
Old May 5th, 2005, 10:52 AM

Wink Spoiled cats

We have three cats that r spoiled non-stop throughout the day and night.
We have a 9 yr old tabby tiger-stripped who sits up on the furniture next to us wherever we r in the house and just watches us contently. (He's sitting on the table right now watching me on the computer.)
We also have a large white cat who will jump up on me whenever I'm in my chair and sprawl out on top of me and goes to sleep.
They r not allowed in our bedroom at night when we r asleep but during the day there's always one or two of them sleeping on the bed all day long. *L*

We love our cats very, very much and they r 100% a part of our family. *S*

Old May 5th, 2005, 11:03 AM
banned user

LOL these are excellent confessions! Whew, now I feel better. I know I'm not the only one who is way off the charts when it comes to spoiling.

Quote:
she'll hear us go to the bedroom and fly out from where ever she was hiding and rub her head against anything that is standing still. All through the hallway she'll rub her head against the wall leading to our room...
This cracked me up! I could see it!

Quote:
She constantly drops it and does the grumble thing so I will pick it up! If I do it will be about 2 mins and its on the floor again and she is grumbling!
LOL!! Reminds me of babies with their "drop the bottle and see how many times Mom will pick it up" trick.

Quote:
When he's outside, he always gets a blanket to lay on. Whether he's laying on the deck or in the grass or on the picnic table - he gets a blanket! And when it's a cooler day, and he wants to stay out, I wrap him up in his blankey!! At work, since we don't have a couch here , Copper has a rug to lay on. On the rug is a blanket, a sleeping bag, and another blanket on top! If he wants to lay out in the shop or in the sun outside, the pile of blankets go with him!
That's Raj! And she has a bed in MY Jeep, too! Padded carpet, plus a beanbag-style bed, plus blankets. And no way is she getting on the ground without a blanket. She has lots of warm sweaters for the cold weather .

ALL of these stories are great! Keep them coming!

Last edited by Cactus Flower; May 5th, 2005 at 11:06 AM.
Old May 5th, 2005, 11:25 AM

These stories are great! Now I don't feel so guilty for my pets being spoiled.

My beagle will not go to bed without her treat. When you tell her it is time for bed, she will sit by the shelf we have the treats on and will wag her tail, look up at us and then the treats. Only after she gets one does she go to bed!

When I lived with my parents, she used to sleep in my bedroom with me and unfortunately would hog my bed, so to make both of us more comfortable, I allowed her to sleep next to my bed in an overstuffed leather chair with a very comfy blanket. She loved it there. If I even tried to sit on it during the day she would sit on the floor in front of me staring at me. Once I got up, she would jump on the chair and lie down as if to say "this is my chair stay off" So I would never sit on "her" chair! But, she would always sneak onto my bed and I never had the heart to say no to her.

Quote:
He'll put his front paws up and I have to lift his bum up on the bed!!
Misty does this too!

When I was younger we had a dog who loved to sleep on a particular chair at our cottage. Nobody could sit on it because if she caught you she would stare at you. We resorted to telling guests that it was our dog's chair and to choose another seat!

I think this goes to prove just how well trained our pets have us!
Old May 5th, 2005, 01:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilith_rizel
For some reason, she just has to have the weight management formula...... It is eaither the food or she just wants you to follow her.
Maybe she's self-conscious?
Old May 5th, 2005, 01:53 PM
banned user

Too Funny!

I'm laughing as I read those answers, they are so funny and yet so true as I do many of the same things with my boys

Jordie will not sit on the ground without a blanket or he really prefers his bench with the soft pillow on it. Blaze shares it this year with him so no room for people, don't ever think about asking them to get down so I can sit that would never happen.

I admit my boys do pretty much anything they want in my house,( with in reason ) they can go anywhere sleep where they like which is with me most of the time. Jordie must be feed his supper with a fork to start him eating, people think I'm sick when it comes to my pets but truely I don't know how else to treat my animals. I just love them so much, they deserve to be happy in their own home. :king:
Old May 5th, 2005, 03:03 PM
Kitty Consort

ROFL! These stories of pet indulgence are too funny! SO glad to know I'm not the only one who is guilty as charged.

Just a few of many:
- making the bed" later".. so as not to disturb a comfy cat's slumber.
- 'sharing" my pillow every night with kitty Miranda, who insists on sleeping right above my head. She always winds up with the "lions share" of it.
- hand-feeding the dog kibbbles when Percy balks at his food. Somehow it tastes better this way....

Really enoyed reading these! We all need a little pampering in our lives, and to pamper our loved ones too.
Who better and more deserving?
Old May 5th, 2005, 03:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Schwinn, Moragn is only 8 pounds, and she isn't a tiny kitty either. I am wondering if it tastes better than the regular adult formula that I switched her too. And it seems as if Spooks enjoys Morgan's food better too..... I think it is actually jealousy....... I have been having to feed Spooks in the laundry room, so he doesn't get fatter off the regular formula...... I don't need him to weigh more than he does now (17 pounds now, gained 1 pound the past month)
Old May 5th, 2005, 03:27 PM
Senior Contributor

"Making the bed later",I can relate to that,how could I possibly wake up Vinnie when he is sooo comfy in our KING SIZE bed,the problem is later does not happen and then I forget
My three have their supper at 5:30pm,they will not eat in the same room,Rocky is on a desk by the window,Vinnie on the kitchen-counter,Chico in my den,when the food gets all over the edges of the dish I have to scrape it down into a pile in the middle of the dish or they won't eat.
Also,on a nice day like today,we were outside for a few hours and when it's time to go in,they obediently run inside,lining up for treats and then they'll snooze.
Rocky will sit and look at the waterdish until I change the water for him,I swear sometimes we comunicate with our minds,who needs words?
I am also known to sit on the floor watching TV,while Rocky gets to lay on the most comfortable chair in the house,Chico and Vinnie both lay on the sofa,opposite ends from each other,Chico does not like Vinnie too close Mom's on the floor....

Last edited by chico2; May 5th, 2005 at 03:30 PM.
Old May 5th, 2005, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2
I am also known to sit on the floor watching TV,while Rocky gets to lay on the most comfortable chair in the house,Chico and Vinnie both lay on the sofa,opposite ends from each other,Chico does not like Vinnie too close Mom's on the floor....
Oh Chico, we can so relate that ...
Attached Images

Old May 5th, 2005, 03:48 PM
owned by Tucker

You know when your dogs spoilt when you go shopping and come home with 5 treats for him and none for yourself or your kids. My kids say they have been replaiced
Old May 5th, 2005, 03:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Rita,that's a great picture.... and so very true..but,heck the floor is ok and you have the cats at an easy cuddle distance..
Old May 5th, 2005, 04:08 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

The most spoiled...

I would have to say that my mom's rottie was the most spoiled. Koda loved to lay on the coffee table (an older, heavy, wooden one) and if someone dared to actually put something on the table, she would stare at the offending object, then at you, then at the object....til you moved it. That table was so scratched up that after Koda passed my mom threw it away.

My last newf, Lacey, also got the biggest portion of the couch. If you left something laying on her end of the couch, she would take mine and would not move!

The new pup, Hazel, hasn't been with us long enough to be totally spoiled (just give her time ) but she has already figured out that if she goes outside, she gets a treat when she comes back in. She just hasn't correlated the 'going potty' portion of being outside with the treat yet. She thinks that if she goes outside, she automatically gets a treat when she comes back in. She will sit by the counter where her treats are and just stare at you. It is really cute. We also made her a bed in our bedroom and have to put a wet towel on it every night (she loves to sleep on something wet - I think it must be a newfie thing because our last one did it to) and she has to have a nightlight turned on because she is apparently afraid of the dark. She also gets a toy every time I have to go to Walmart - and I'm sure it won't take her long to realize that when mom comes home with grocery sacks, there is something in there for her! One of my co-workers overheard me talking about the wet towel thing and asked me if I realized that this 'was just a dog'. I said that this isn't just a dog, it's my baby and wouldn't she want to make her baby comfortable??? She just shook her head and walked away - maybe when I bring Hazel to visit I'll make sure she has to pee and go to that woman's office first!
Old May 5th, 2005, 04:39 PM
Kitty Consort

Love the photo, Rita! : Very cute pic of all!

You know your pets are spoiled when they eat better than you do.

-When the quality tinned food for them is twice the price of the cheap no-name tuna that your are buying for yourself.

- When it takes longer to study, select and purchase a few food articles in the pet store than it does to buy a weekly shopping order at the supermarket.
Old May 6th, 2005, 04:31 PM
Senior Contributor

oh raj, i can understand that, there is nothing worse than that little grain of sand in the bed when one is trying to sleep, sheesh, poor little darlin, sorta like the princess and the pea

that is a great photo, looks like every one is in the right place in your house

funny how beds feature so often in our spoils, there are some comfy pets out there. charlie gets on the bed if hubby is away and she gets his pillow (dont tell him that ). yesterday i dropped him off on the early train and came back to bed, she came straight in and sat waiting, in secounds she is up on his side and we snuggled down for a few more hours sleep.

ah and for a dog bed- well she has a normal dog bed, she uses occassionally. but her real dog bed is the $5000 itialian leather couch, she really likes it and its very thinck so she does not tear it. she looks just ohhh soooo cute lying there.

she hates raw meat, so it must be seared and sealed on both sides, preferably served with a sml pile of delicatly blanched vegetables, she has the same requirement for her once weekly fillet of fish. :queen:

one other spoil- the teddies and dollies. she has a huge collection of soft teddies and dollies and she does not like anyone to touch them. if you pick them up she will snatch them out of your hand and put them back next to her day bed (yes she has a day bed, and several night beds, hey shes a lady :queen: ), it becomes a game. my mother actually knits them for her, i have made her one also.

i have always said if reincarnation is real, i would like to come back as my own dog!!!!!
Old May 6th, 2005, 04:44 PM
banned user

Quote:
i have always said if reincarnation is real, i would like to come back as my own dog!!!!!
LOL LOL LOL!!!!!!!!!!

And no wonder!
"Seared on both sides, with blanched vegetables, if you will............And excuse me, waiter? Could I get a refill on my spring water, please?"
Old May 6th, 2005, 07:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Your husband's dinner menu consists of your dog's favourite (and healthy for puppy) foods. Even though quantity fed to pup is kept to a minimum, a taste is a taste!