Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old October 27th, 2009, 12:13 PM
Senior Contributor

Awwhhh, I love how big his ears look on him too! Too cute. Have you thought about puppy socialization classes for him, or how are you going to go about that?

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old October 27th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Animals Are My Life <3

Oh he's got the biggest ears! LOL! Looking at the pics of his siblings, he's the smallest one. I know he will grown into his ears, lol

We take him everywhere with us. He needs to get used to all sorts of places, smells, sounds, feelings, etc. He loves people and dogs (a large black lab pup wanted to say hello yesterday, but I asked his people to keep him back as Byron was a bit of stimulated with everything). Plus, all my family have dogs and kids, so that will be a great way to get him socialized. We will be starting puppy classes in March (he's too young right now, and then the trainer doesn't do it during winter, as the building isn't heated). Until then I have a group of dog owners willing to help socialize (trainers who are offered to help me for free). I am being inundated with kindness and generosity, seriously, I am so very blessed!
Old October 27th, 2009, 03:54 PM
Animals Are My Life <3

We just got back from a walk We went to the Salvation Army to get some bread, walked past a busy intersection, a construction site, 3 groups of rowdy kids, 5 houses with barking dogs, another busy intersection, another group of kids, a noisy bus (complete with the beeping and whinning of the wheelchair acess being used) and a flock of Canadian Geese. Byron took it all in stride, only stopping once when a group of kids walked by (he wasn't looking at them, they were loud and he just kept looking at me, I praised him and he continued to walk). I made him a SDiT vest and a lot of people were very interested in learning more about him I need to adjust it so it fits better though. He is now sleeping in his crate (on his own accord) Great day so far
Old October 27th, 2009, 04:18 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Oh look at him, he's so cute! I have never seen a lab that colour before, I didn't know they came in colours other than yellow, black and chocolate.
The little cutie-pie is a mismark. That's what purebred labs who appear from time to time in other than the standard colours of black, yellow or chocolate are called. It is a disqualification in the conformation show ring but has no bearing on health, performance or personality and mismarks are just as good dogs and pets as any Lab. I could see the tan marks over his eyes in the OP. It might be why he was donated, as the breeder cannot show him in conformation and he should not be bred from. Here is some information on mismarks in Labs and photos of some stunning looking dogs. I get a real kick out of the little yellow with the musical note on his side: http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/mismarks.html

I suggest you ask the breeder about the food you intend to switch to and get an agenda for switching. It is usually a good idea to let puppy settle in for several weeks before switching the food.

Oh, you are in for such a good time. He is adorable and I love Byron for a name.

You went for a walk? Are his vaccinations completed? Is he safe to be out already?
Old October 27th, 2009, 04:29 PM
Animals Are My Life <3

Yuppers, mismark Today someone asked if he was a Dobe mix, so I explained what mismarked means, they were quite impressed Anyways, the walk we took is very infrequented by dog walkers (because of the intersections and construction, and there is a dog park 3 blocks away). The breeder did say it was ok, provided we don't go to dog-frequented places until after his second set of shots (friday). The food that he is on is Kirkland Chicken and Rice, so that is what we will keep him on for a bit. She recommended adult food (lower protien) to prevent him from growing too quickly, so we will continue with that.
Old October 27th, 2009, 05:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
She recommended adult food (lower protien) to prevent him from growing too quickly,
Yes, that's what our breeder (Lab) recommends too. Large breed puppy food is not as full of the high growth (calcium mainly) component as it was when we got our first puppy from her so this time around I asked if she had changed her mind on puppy food. She said large breed puppy food is now so similar to the adult food anyway that she doesn't see the point of feeding it when it is more expensive and her experience on adult food is so good.
Old October 27th, 2009, 06:40 PM
Animals Are My Life <3

Oh thats good I had worried about puppy food, simply because I've seen how bad puppy food can be (from working at the SPCA, pups always had the runs when fed puppy food).

We are going to eat dinner then another toddle around the block (just for piddles and to wear him out a bit more). Last walk is usually around 10 pm or so, then bedtime after that. He is so good about going into his kennel! Whenever he's tired, he goes in there to sleep. He also takes his chew toys in there (the fleece ones), keeps him occupied until he is tuckered out
Old October 27th, 2009, 07:14 PM
Senior Contributor

Wow, he is learning so fast...and what a darling I love his markings I too had never heard of mismarkings so I learned soemthing new today. Thanks. Happy walkies.
Old October 28th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Animals Are My Life <3

Thank you Patti! I was quite shocked to learn about mismarkings and all the kinds that can occur

We had a great night. Byron slept from 11 until 6:30 without fussing at all! He got a couple of bits of apple and a special chew toy when we went to bed, and he asked to go potty. Then we slept another hour and a half, then it was time to get up, potty and eat

Now he is trying to play with the cats, who are having none of it, lol. Later we will be going to get some new toys for him

He is also learning "leave it" - he will let go of a toy when I ask him to, although his attention quickly goes back to the toy, lol. He sometimes bites our feet or hands, but we yelp and when he lets go (which is right away as he looks at us all serious), we give him a chew toy. Then he toddles off to play with his toy, lol

I have to buy batteries today, so I will get some new photos of him (and him in his vest). I will post later
Old October 28th, 2009, 01:36 PM
-

He is soooo cute and I love the name Byron.
Old October 29th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Animals Are My Life <3

Good morning everyone Hope all is well! It's day 4 with Byron, and things are now much more structured for us. I was getting flustered with potty training (as I've never had to do it before), then it dawned on me to partition the kitchen, so he has his dishes, crate and blanket in there, with papers to potty on. He spends about an hour in there in the morning, so he remembers where to potty. Now he goes into the when he needs to, and we only have about 1 misplaced potty on the carpet I have to get him house trained enough quickly, as the stairs are proving a bit difficult for me right now (my back and hips locked up, and I couldn't move for 8 hours yesterday). When Gary is with me it is easier, as he can hold Byron while I balance myself, etc. He's been helping his brother at night (working), so it's a bit tough alone. However, it is going great! I didn't take him for a longish walk yesterday, and noticed how much extra energy he had, lol. So today Gary and I will go for a good walk. I bought him a harness (a step in harness), new collar (doesn't make his neck itch, woot) and several toys and chews. He loves the large rawhide bone (the big ones), instead of chewing on the couch or coffee table (wood), he is redirected with a toy or bone and he is doing great! He knows sit and shake paw (he has to sit before he gets any food, treats, toys, etc). I make him shake paw before a treat (sit, shake paw). He is learning Kiss, which is him putting his nose up and I kiss it Prevents him from getting too excited and nipping. I also finally got batteries, so once I get the camera working I will post pics to share (He looks so cute in his Service Dog in Training Vest!)
Old October 30th, 2009, 01:41 AM
Live well, laugh often

Awww, he is super adorable . Good luck with all the training .

Here is a blog from someone who trained their service dog with some great information .
http://www.dragonflyllama.com/%20DOGS/%20Dog1/Blog.html

and here is a DVD set on clicker training your own assistance dog that could also prove useful.
http://www.dogwise.com/ItemDetails.cfm?ID=DTH203
Old October 30th, 2009, 01:56 AM
Animals Are My Life <3

Thanks Teri! Those links are awesome
Old October 30th, 2009, 02:12 AM
Live well, laugh often

Great, I hope they will help .
Old October 30th, 2009, 02:23 AM
Animals Are My Life <3

Oh they will! That blog is wonderful!!
Old October 30th, 2009, 02:44 AM
Live well, laugh often

I actually quite like the website. There are some great general training articles as well as the blog stuff .
Old November 1st, 2009, 12:45 PM
Animals Are My Life <3

New Pics from about 30 mins ago

Old November 1st, 2009, 01:30 PM
Senior Contributor

There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old November 1st, 2009, 02:43 PM
Senior Contributor

What an adorable little man you have!! I love his vest!!!

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old November 2nd, 2009, 02:14 AM
-

Super Cute

You must get lots of comments from people you encounter.
Old November 2nd, 2009, 11:10 AM
Animals Are My Life <3

Thanks everyone He certainly is an awesome boy! Whenever we do go out, everyone is ooooing and aaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwing over him, lol! Many are surprised to hear he is Lab (and purebred), so I explain what mismarking is and they think it's very cool, lol!