Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Senior dogs

Old July 14th, 2014, 09:36 PM

Testosterone and neutering

Is there any way, or need to boost, assist, or balance a castrated, cancer-free canine's immune and endocrine system for lack of testes, and therefore, testosterone. They are at higher risks of cancers, thyroid and bone problems. Canine cancer's do not feed on testosterone as humans. I am expert on prostate cancer in humans and dangers of testosterone replacement, use of dhea etc. Anything that can help a senior, castrated, testosterone-free dog that can be done? No work from a plethora of vets, or pet forums. Thanks! Concerned pet owner. Ps have not seen anything yet in research.
Old July 15th, 2014, 07:40 AM
Senior Contributor

A neutered dog will not be completely free of testosterone as small amounts as produced in the adrenal glands. However probably not enough or we wouldn't have all the ailments in neutered dogs, suspected to be linked to deficient testosterone, that we do.

Yes, of course there are supplements to restore testosterone. Most often in my readings they are used to treat male urninary incontinence. However I have not seen it used to restore the health giving attributes of testosterone as a preventative or as a treatment in any article.

There is a big list of articles you might want to check out here:

http://www.lab-retriever.net/board/d...cle-links.html

But I have read every one and not seen your question addressed. The closest I have seen is using vasectomy to remove breeding capability but keep the testosterone. Plus, note that there is not one single health ailment that does not also present in intact dogs, just that the numbers are higher for some in altered dogs.

DHEA is controversial and I have seen nothing about its use in dogs. If you've found information on DHEA use in dogs I'd like to see a link please.

Is there a particular medical problem in an older male neutered dog that prompts your thread here?
Old July 16th, 2014, 05:27 PM
Senior Contributor

I looked for similar information when my boy was here, and didn't come up with anything that I could pass along. Definitely interested in what you find.
Old August 2nd, 2014, 12:43 PM

Yes, castration was done because of prostatitis, BPH due to ecoli and another bacteria. The male was 8 and a half.