Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old September 10th, 2010, 01:28 AM

Pet stores with return policies?

I am wondering if any pet stores in Toronto (or surrounding area) have a return policy, specifically for kittens?

My situation is as follows (you can skip if you don't care about the details):
I recently bought a condo. This condo has a rule that does not allow new owners to bring in pets (to my understanding, at least, owners who pre-date the rule being introduced can not only keep their current pets, but get new ones as well). Had I known about this from the start, I would not have bought this condo, but I only found out about it very late in the process (after making an offer, having it accepted, and paying a deposit). In fact I was very seriously contemplating walking away from the deal completely.

I found a loophole which should technically allow me to legitly (ie. complying with condo rules) have a pet, and my lawyer agrees that it should work, but there is no guarantee that it will. My understanding is (not 100% sure at this point yet) that this loophole requires me to have the pet before it gets approved by the condo.. which presents a problem: what happens if they don't approve (there is a reasonable possibility of this - the loophole does go against the spirit of the rule)?

Ideally, then I would want to be able to return the pet to the pet store (as heartbreaking as that would be..). The other alternative I have that would allow me to have a pet is bringing one "covertly" in violation of condo rules. If it ever gets discovered, however, I would be forced to either fight the rule in court or get rid of my pet (which would be much more traumatic, given I'd have had it for months/years at that point and have a much stronger bond..)

Any constructive advice appreciated.
Old September 10th, 2010, 06:30 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Buying a puppy/kitten from a pet store has it's own set of rules. The rules are all on the side of the store. These pets come from puppy/kitten mills, bybs, and people who are irresponsible enough not to fix their pets. They either sell to (millers and bybs) or give the store these precious bundles because they know there's a sucker born every minute.
http://www.samsmiles.org/petstore.html
http://virtualimpax.com/a_dog_for_th..._pet_store.htm
Return policy - there is none in most cases. Especially for a kitten. Cats are pretty much throwaways these days.
If you knew you were buying a condo why would you buy a pet before purchasing? Just my thoughts. Most condos have very strict rules about pets, kids, etc. Now that you have the little one it is going to be your responsibility to find a good home for the baby. And please do not offer it "for free". That connotation carries it's own horror stories.
Good luck on your condo purchase.

** As an add on - you said you thought people who already had pets could keep their pets and even get new ones. To me that smacks of discrimination. How can they say to one set of owners "yes, you can have pets" and to another set "no you can't"? It boogles the mind.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!

Last edited by 14+kitties; September 10th, 2010 at 08:15 AM.
Old September 10th, 2010, 06:50 AM
Senior Contributor

Personally, I cannot even fathom on why you would go to a petstore to 'purchase' a pet. There is enough literature out there now on what these petstores represent and what those who purchase pets are contributing to.

If you have to take a gamble...then don't gamble at all as you are dealing with a living creature that lives and breaths and relies on someone to take care of him/her for the rest of their lives. If there are obstacles then why put an animal through all of this?

I transport animals from shelters to rescues and the fear on their faces is enough to make you cry. They have no idea that what we are doing is to save thier lives. Now - taking an animal from anywhere, putting him/her into your car, bringing him/her home, showing the animal love and devotion and then having to give them up and go through this routine once again is just not 'nice' to put it mildly.
Old September 10th, 2010, 07:49 AM
Senior Contributor

IMO,you bought the kitten at a pet-store,yes,a huge mistake,but the deed is done.
Now,if I were you I would definitely bring the kitten to the new condo.
Chances are nobody will ever find out you have a cat,since she/he will be an indoor cat(I assume).
Bringing a kitten back to the "store"would not only be devestating to you,but more than likely a death-sentence for her/him.
So,please take a chance and keep him/her,you owe the little one that.my
Old September 10th, 2010, 08:10 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I would do as chico stated, take the kitten with you. It's not like they can evict you, you own the place. If they then take you to court, and I doubt they would over a kitty due to legal costs, I would fight it.

Geesh, condo regulations are really infringing on personal rights, it you ask me .

And from now on, please don't buy from a pet store , it enables kitty and puppy millers to continue their business

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old September 10th, 2010, 08:18 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
I would do as chico stated, take the kitten with you. It's not like they can evict you, you own the place. If they then take you to court, and I doubt they would over a kitty due to legal costs, I would fight it.

Geesh, condo regulations are really infringing on personal rights, it you ask me .

And from now on, please don't buy from a pet store , it enables kitty and puppy millers to continue their business
I guess I did not read properly...my bad. Did not know that the kitten was already purchased.

Yes I agree with the others under this circumstance. Hope everything works out for you.
Old September 10th, 2010, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bauer View Post
I am wondering if any pet stores in Toronto (or surrounding area) have a return policy, specifically for kittens?

My situation is as follows (you can skip if you don't care about the details):
I recently bought a condo. This condo has a rule that does not allow new owners to bring in pets (to my understanding, at least, owners who pre-date the rule being introduced can not only keep their current pets, but get new ones as well). Had I known about this from the start, I would not have bought this condo, but I only found out about it very late in the process (after making an offer, having it accepted, and paying a deposit). In fact I was very seriously contemplating walking away from the deal completely.

I found a loophole which should technically allow me to legitly (ie. complying with condo rules) have a pet, and my lawyer agrees that it should work, but there is no guarantee that it will. My understanding is (not 100% sure at this point yet) that this loophole requires me to have the pet before it gets approved by the condo.. which presents a problem: what happens if they don't approve (there is a reasonable possibility of this - the loophole does go against the spirit of the rule)?

Ideally, then I would want to be able to return the pet to the pet store (as heartbreaking as that would be..). The other alternative I have that would allow me to have a pet is bringing one "covertly" in violation of condo rules. If it ever gets discovered, however, I would be forced to either fight the rule in court or get rid of my pet (which would be much more traumatic, given I'd have had it for months/years at that point and have a much stronger bond..)

Any constructive advice appreciated.
Actually I am not so sure if the OP actually has a kitten yet.

Regardless, though, I think the rules at this condo are BS. I have heard where they will allow individuals who owned the pets before the rule came in to keep their animal(s), but that they also are not allowed any new ones. Once their current animals pass on, they can not "replace" them so to speak. What a silly rule this condo board has...

If you have not purchased the kitten yet, I would not risk it. I certainly would not purchase one from a pet store, for the same reasons the others stated.

If you have purchased the kitten, I would think you probably will not get caught, since it is your condo and they should have no need to ever enter your unit. However, SO lives in a condo and I know they have such silly rules... technically it is your property but it is much like renting with the rules they can still enforce. Please have the kitten spayed or neutered.

Good luck.

"Many of the Earth's habitats, animals, plants, insects, and even micro-organisms that we know as rare may not be known at all by future generations. We have the capability, and the responsibility. We must act before it is too late." - Dalai Lama
Old September 10th, 2010, 10:35 AM

In Ontario, they are not supposed to be able to deny you an apartment because you have a pet, how can they deny you the right to have a pet in a condo you own? YOu should ask your lawyer if the condo regulations are contradicted by the provincial laws.
Sunshine~ Golden retriever X white german sheperd (Dad's dog)~October 24, 2008-
Old September 10th, 2010, 10:44 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
In Ontario, they are not supposed to be able to deny you an apartment because you have a pet, how can they deny you the right to have a pet in a condo you own? YOu should ask your lawyer if the condo regulations are contradicted by the provincial laws.
Good point .

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old September 10th, 2010, 11:17 AM

true landlords are not allowed to refuse you but buying a condo is a different story and dont follow the same rules it is upto the condo board
Old September 10th, 2010, 12:54 PM
Senior Contributor

I don't believe the OP has the kitten yet. That said, I would certainly not purchase one from a pet store. I really doubt you would find one that would take it back once it's past it's "cute kitty" stage anyhow. I also don't know how you could buy a kitten and then just give it back if the board says no. If you are determined to get one I'd go ahead with the legal challenge first. Be the one who can make it better for everyone.