Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old August 27th, 2008, 08:25 AM

i need help with dog training

I have two miniature schnauzers and the younger one (1 year old) will not stop peeing in the house in the middle of the night no matter how many times I take her out. The older one (2 years old) waits until we get up in the morning. I have already had to replace carpets with wood flooring and I have had her fixed but that still doesn't stop her. Any suggestions????
Old August 27th, 2008, 05:48 PM

is she crate trained? when i first adopted Leo, my 5 year old dog, he did the same thing - peeing (and pooing) at night. i started crating him when i went to bed and it did the trick, and once he got used to being alone during the night, he was allowed to stay out of his crate at night and now he's fine - no pee or poo.

i think Leo was peeing because he was upset or nervous because he was left all alone during the night (i don't let him sleep in our bedroom - he's too big and clumsy). Maybe your doggie is just nervous while alone at night? Leo's crate is his 'safe spot' and helps him calm down when he's upset - maybe your doggie might benefit from something like that?

dunno, just my two cents - i'm a fairly new dog owner myself, but there are lots of people on this forum who know a lot about dogs and training and such...

best of luck to you and your poochies!
Old August 27th, 2008, 06:20 PM

definitely read up on crate training. theres tons of stuff on the forums about it.
Old August 27th, 2008, 10:17 PM

Either crate or restrict her area at night, also check to be sure she doesn't have a bladder infection or is spay incontinent as it can happen... There is treatment for both.
Old August 28th, 2008, 06:41 AM
We're a dog's best friend

Red face

[QUOTE=LYNNRN;647321] will not stop peeing in the house in the middle of the night no matter how many times I take her out. QUOTE]

I agree with MIA, check with your vet just to make sure. It could be an infection. Maybe she is nervous, dog wet themselves when they are nervous. Could be anything. I hope it goes okay (maybe she is afraid of the dark) aawwwwww!

Soter

I do!!
Old August 29th, 2008, 08:55 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIA View Post
Either crate or restrict her area at night, also check to be sure she doesn't have a bladder infection or is spay incontinent as it can happen... There is treatment for both.
Excellent suggestion here. Rule out any possible medical problems.

As a foster mom I usually tether the dogs to me at night so that I am alerted to what exact time they need to relieve themselves. Sounds crazy but I have found that most times they wake up not to urinate but explore which leads to urinating etc. Seriously, after a few sleepless nights of almost be perpelled into the wall in front of me - I have worked through these night mishaps which resulted in the dog ceasing this behaviour. The dogs are then used to 'holding' it during the evenings and when they go to their permanent homes - this is no longer an issue.

Crate training is also a good method unless the dog is relieving themselves in the crate itself. If that is the case - then I go back to my own method.

Some may agree, others not. Do what works for you.