Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Puppy health

Old August 16th, 2016, 11:37 AM

6 Week old Puppy

So my entire Life I have wanted a Husky. I currently have A GSD named Gypsy but I'd love to have two dogs so they can play with each other when I'm at work. I finally found my perfect husky! A red male with bright blue eyes. at the moment he is about 5 weeks old and the owner is saying I can pick him up in another week or so. I already made the deposit for him, but my question is should I get him at 6 weeks? I know people say he doesn't learn some social skills if I get him that young, but I got my current dog at that age and she couldn't be more perfect! Also, he will still have Gypsy to teach him those skills. Even though he will have a new big sister to teach him how to be a dog should I still wait the extra two weeks? His brothers and sisters are all going to be gone at that time as well. So will it really matter?

I've already raised a 6 week old puppy so I know what it takes. I've spoken with some people who have bought puppies from her before and they all got then at 6 weeks and said they smelled terrible when they got them. and I know they aren't raised in the house, their have a whelping shed they said they stay in. Normally I would never think of taking them away from their mom any earlier than 8 weeks, but I don't fully know that his current situation he is in is the best.
Old August 16th, 2016, 01:13 PM
Senior Contributor

A reputable breeder generally will not let a puppy under 8 weeks old go to a new home and depending where you are it may actually be illegal to do so.

https://www.animallaw.info/topic/tab...e-sale-puppies

If puppy is in a less than ideal situation right now then there might be extenuating circumstances but you should be investigating the breeder to assure yourself of how the puppy is being housed and brought up. Not guessing, not unless you are willing to take a chance on health and temperament, and for sure it's to be hoped you are not considering paying a BYB for a puppy. A rescue puppy, now that's a different thing.

AT six weeks old many if not most puppies have blue eyes. Maybe not bright blue though.

When you say "husky" what breed do you mean? Siberian? Just curious. They are the breed I've had the most trouble with, mean, nasty, aggressive and I think it's mainly becasue they had owners who did not give them the amount of work and exercise the breed needs. I know it's the owners' fault.

LOL, you want them to play together when you are at work? Inside your house? Yikes, last thing I'd want to come home to is a wrecked house. The puppy really should be for YOU, not for your other dog. What do YOU want to do with the puppy?

Good luck. There was a red Siberian near me, used to meet his owner on dog walks. He was beautiful but a handful because she could not let him off leash, she didn't sled, and she found it very hard to exercise him to the extent he really needed.
Old August 16th, 2016, 06:54 PM
Senior Contributor

It sometimes for first dog to accept another dog in it house , just b/c you're getting a puppy it doesn't mean your GS is going to welcome the puppy with open paws . It would be wise to get something that smell like the puppy so your dog will get use to it smell . And you bring the puppy home when you home for at lest 2 days in a row . You can't just bring a new puppy home and let it have the run of the house . You need to keep him in a room where he can't get into trouble . I agree that you should do some research on the breeder . Did you meet the puppy parents to see what kind of temperaments they have ?
Old August 17th, 2016, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longblades View Post
When you say "husky" what breed do you mean? Siberian? Just curious. They are the breed I've had the most trouble with, mean, nasty, aggressive and I think it's mainly becasue they had owners who did not give them the amount of work and exercise the breed needs. I know it's the owners' fault.
He is a Siberian, I've met him mother and father and they have amazing temperaments. I am a very active person, hiking and running all the time. I go out with my GDS off leash all of the time because I have her well trained. I am aware most husky's will not be off leash dogs, but I am going to try to train him to be with long leads, taking small steps. I know how to train a dog. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longblades View Post
LOL, you want them to play together when you are at work? Inside your house? Yikes, last thing I'd want to come home to is a wrecked house. The puppy really should be for YOU, not for your other dog. What do YOU want to do with the puppy?
Who said I would be doing that? I never said I'd be leaving them alone when he was a puppy. I'm taking off work for a week or so when I first get him, then my best friend is going to be staying at my house while I work until he is old enough to be crated for potty training purposes. and even then I will be coming home for my lunch breaks. I want him for many other reasons, not just for my other dog, I just didn't want to spend forever and a day typing out all of my thought processes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingdog View Post
It sometimes for first dog to accept another dog in it house , just b/c you're getting a puppy it doesn't mean your GS is going to welcome the puppy with open paws . It would be wise to get something that smell like the puppy so your dog will get use to it smell . And you bring the puppy home when you home for at lest 2 days in a row . You can't just bring a new puppy home and let it have the run of the house . You need to keep him in a room where he can't get into trouble . I agree that you should do some research on the breeder . Did you meet the puppy parents to see what kind of temperaments they have ?
My Gypsy is well trained and is very sweet. She is used to puppies living with her (long story, had a roommate who watched family members dogs for them and brought them home with her for weeks at a time. I got out of there real quick and now live alone) and I know how to treat a new puppy. I'm going to introduce them in a park, outside of Gypsy's 'territory' and slowly show him different rooms of the house to not overwhelm him and I will be crating him at night.

All this to say... I know what I'm doing. The only thing I am unsure of, and the reason for this thread, is if getting him at 6 weeks will be alright because I don't know that his current environment is the best thing for him. I've already paid the deposit so I will be getting him, I found this breeder by a friend who highly recommended her so instead of doing my research I just blindly trusted that my friend would know what she was talking about. In that I made a mistake. But its too late now.
Old August 17th, 2016, 03:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Would the breeder be willing to let the puppy stay with it mother longer?
If they really care about their dogs this should be no issue for them.
Old August 17th, 2016, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennasis View Post
In that I made a mistake. But its too late now.
It's not too late. You can either ask for your deposit back or walk away. Why not try to get your deposit back, indicating you're simply not comfortable with a breeder who lets puppies go at 6 weeks old. Giving money to them is only encouraging them to repeat the process again in the future