Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old June 1st, 2002, 01:51 PM

Question New cat owner

I've had my cat for about 2 months now. She came into my home at the stage where they are just growing out of kittydom (is that really a word??)

Well, when I woke up this morning, I found my kitty in the window mewwing pretty loudly..she's not a verbal kitty. I gave her fresh food, fresh water and a fresh litterbox before I left for the day.

Once I returned, I found her in the middle of our floor rolling around on her back. I dismissed this as her scratching her back, which she's been known to do....Then I notice her rolling consistently, as if she couldn't get comfortable. Then the mewwing began again, only louder.

Is this a sign of her going into heat for the first time? And if it is, is there anything I can do for her, before I take her to the vet? (Monday morning appointment)

Thanks in advance for all advice given!

BCK
Old June 13th, 2002, 01:36 PM

Hi Brick,

It could be many things....but 2 possibilities are,

-Your cat simply wants to be petted. My cat exhibits EXACTLY this same behaviour when I return home from work. after I pet him he usually stops.

-Is your cat itchy? Could it have fleas?

Good luck at the vet!!

Herman
Old August 1st, 2002, 11:08 PM

Lightbulb Mine did too

I aquired 2 stray kittens 1 male/1 female... My female went into the adolescent stage at a young age. And she started the going into heat signs as well, (ROF). As for the calling at the window.. well, it was probably just that..."calling for a mate" even though she may not have known just why she was calling. (Cat Instinct)
When i took Niptoe & Emma into be spayed i asked the vet if it was safe to spay HER since she was starting this phase and he said it was OK and not uncommon. This was back in Jan. 02 and they were born sometime in june of 2001. I'm sure you know by now seeing the date. Just a little input.