Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old August 22nd, 2016, 08:02 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Dog licenses

What is the use of a dog license again? Is it 100% about collecting money?
What do the dogs get out of it?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montre...trol-1.3720559
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old August 22nd, 2016, 01:24 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

In some places the dog license fees go straight to supporting the local shelters, but that's all determined by local law. Sometimes the fees just go in the general coffers. Even more disturbing than the idea that it's just a way to pull in more money, is the idea that it allows authorities to keep track of who is a dog owner and what sorts of dogs they own. Since you list breed when you apply, it's very handy for officials to pinpoint the location of breeds if the municipality (or even a province) decides to issue breed-specific bans. I have no problem with the money being used to a good and relevant purpose (raising funds for the shelters), but otherwise, the older I get, the more I look at licensing with a cynical eye...

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 22nd, 2016, 01:42 PM
Senior Contributor

It one way to made sure very dog is up to date on their shots in my city . You can't a dog license for dog if it not up to date and it help if dog get lost . I was able to find 2 dog owners by the tags on their collar. I believe the money help with the pet shelter in my city and to buy dog food for them. If you're 65 or over in my city it doesn't cost to get a dog license . So there are some benefits to getting older.
Old August 22nd, 2016, 05:22 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Hi Marko
I had to chime in because I hate paying a license fee. Having said that I have faithfully paid it every year when I had Winston and now with Sophie. The cost in Hamilton is $46.00 for an intact male or unspayed female. If they are fixed the price drops to $26.00.

I asked them once why I need to license my pet when ALOT of people dont.

What they said actually worked for me. I also chose to micrchip so I saw no value in a license BUT many many dogs when they get loose slip their leashes so if they are picked up you will be reunited quicker if they have a license tag. Depending on where you live a chip is not always scanable. Lets say the dog gets away not all microchip readers can scan a chip and know who the owner is. So basically its a pretty reasonable priced id in a way.

Many SPCA also use license funds to support other programs.

P.S I agree with the fines for off leash issues because there have been many issues where dogs are off leash and there are problems and people and dog are hurt

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old August 22nd, 2016, 06:45 PM
Senior Contributor

It only cost Neutered males and spayed females .....$10.00

Unneutered males and unspayed females .....15.00

in my city . That not too bad .
Old August 22nd, 2016, 07:32 PM

Where I live, a license costs 100$ if your dog is not spayed/neutered. That is reduce to 25$ if they are spayed/neutered, a puppy (under 6 months) or show dog (proof of show registration required).

The only real benefit to licensing your dog here is you get a one time 'get out of jail' free; meaning, if your dog has escaped and is picked up by the SPCA - you don't pay anything for the recovery of your dog from them. Besides that, I really don't know where the money goes (and it's the city that sets the fees).
Old August 22nd, 2016, 10:35 PM
Senior Contributor

I know my city will give free dog food to seniors so I guess some the money is used for this . My city also have poop bags dispensers at the parks . The bags are free so the licenses fee may be covering part of the cost of this.