Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old October 4th, 2002, 02:27 PM

12 year old shih tzu has forgotten house training - Answered by N. Kitching

MY 12 1/2 yr old shihtzu has recently (since mid last year) started pooping in the house when we are out. The problem has gotten progressively worse, to the point that we can be sure to have a proze waiting for us, even if we go out for a short while (1/2 hour). We have tried retraining him. No luck. He is good during the day, scratching on the door to go out. He does this several times a day but only makes a small squirt of urine and on some days, poops. On other days, we can't get him to poop when he is outside unless he is walked on a leash for several blocks. On other days, we can't get him to poop outside at all. But he will surely poop inside when we leave him alone for a bit. When we go out, we lock him into the laundry room, which is reasonably spacious for a 12 lb dog. We have tried putting him in his cage/crate to try to re-train him with crate training. It is not too big for him. He poops in in and gets it everywhere! It's easier to clean up if we don't put him in the cage. Today when we went out, he pooped on the laundry room florr and walked in it and had it all over the place! He was house trained at about 10 months old in a very focused regimen and has had few issues up until last year. He would NEVER have the problems he is having now. We are out of ideas, at our wit's end.

Any suggestions?
Old October 8th, 2002, 09:47 AM
Administrator

Sounds as if your Shih Tzu is having separation anxiety problems because s/he's been the love of your life and vice versa and is getting older. Defecating means nothing to him. All he can think about is missing you. This shows that even when your with him outside, he doesn't want to do it. This is another indication of separation anxiety.

Keep on with with what your doing and praise him profusely when ever he does it outside. The laundry room will have to do for now. This seems to be an old age problem where his mind is focused on one thing -- you.

© Nancy Kitching 2002

Nancy Kitching
Dog Trainer Member of CAPPT, CKC, OKC (Ottawa Kennel Club), and Bytown Obedience Club in Ottawa.
156 Fairhaven
Hudson, Quebec J0P 1H0

Tel: 450-458-3165
Old December 1st, 2002, 06:04 PM

12 year old shih tzu

i have a similar problem. my spouse took 'custody' of my pet when i moved to an apartment where pets were not allowed....now that i am able to buy a house, my shih tzu seems unable to control his bladder! he never had this problem when he lived with me, but now it appears he just cannot hold it, despite being taken outside frequently. is he destined now in his old age to being an outside dog?
Old December 2nd, 2003, 02:42 PM
Senior Contributor

What do you mean an outside dog?Do you mean keeping him outside all day and night?No don't do that.He is up in age now and it is common in older dogs and cats.Take him to a vet and get him checked.It just like people who get old.They do the same.That;s why they wear Depends.
Old December 2nd, 2003, 03:25 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

The dog misses you , so obvious.

Is there anything new in your life? New addition to the family, less time at home, family chaos or arguments. Pets can be affected as well. Give the dog LOTS OF LOVE!!

Leave a radio on low it may help and if you are away for a long time can you have a reliable neighbour or dog walker visit for awhile and take the dog out.

Also the dog is getting older and may just not be able to hold it as long, just like people.

At 12 years your dog is a senior, so keep it in mind and don't let the lovely thing stay alone or outside by itself.

Keep us posted.