Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old October 7th, 2004, 12:49 PM
Senior Contributor

Iams blinks (maybe)

October 7, 2004
Iams Division to Change Testing Practices
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

CINCINNATI (AP) -- The Procter & Gamble Co.'s Iams pet-food division said Thursday it is phasing out its animal-testing contracts with outside laboratories and universities, while more than doubling the capacity of its in-house testing facilities -- a move expected to give the company more control over the way animals are treated.

The announcement came the week before P&G's annual meeting, at which animal rights group PETA, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, has proposed a resolution calling on Iams to end contracts with outside laboratories and to end all testing on animals in company laboratories.

P&G is recommending that shareholders vote against PETA's proposal. The company said it strives to be a leader in pet welfare programs.

As part of the plan announced Thursday, P&G hopes within two years to limit its testing to dogs and cats that live in homes, its own facility or animal shelters.

Consolidating the studies will give Iams complete control over the care given to the dogs and cats, Iams spokesman Kurt Iverson said.

``We've been evolving in this direction because of some of those advantages we can gain from in-house studies,'' said Dr. Dan Carey, a veterinarian and director of technical communications at the company's Lewisburg research center.

Iams keeps about 350 dogs and cats in its complex at Lewisburg, about 25 miles west of Iams' Dayton headquarters. The animals are tested for their reaction to the dog and cat foods that Iams makes.

``Yes, this is part of what PETA wants,'' said Mary Beth Sweetland, senior vice president of research and investigations at PETA. ``The question is, is Iams going to commit to ending testing on all animals? The expansion of that Dayton facility means more testing.''

PETA activists allege that a lab doing studies for Iams has failed to provide proper housing, exercise and ventilation for animals, killed dogs for experiments and sometimes severed dogs' vocal cords to prevent barking. P&G denies those allegations.

P&G bought Iams in 1999 but has been dealing with animal-rights activists for years before that. The company says it has spent more than $187 million in the last two decades to find alternatives to animal testing in businesses ranging from pet food to cosmetics.
Old October 7th, 2004, 01:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Well that is a step in the right direction
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old October 11th, 2004, 06:22 PM
Senior Contributor

I received this email from Iams on Friday, Oct. 8, 2004: (just posting in case any of you who sent the complaint to them before didn't get this one. I am not posting it to say I believe them...information only).

Hello:

You've contacted us in the past, and we've promised to keep you informed about new initiatives with nutritional studies and our dog and cat care and welfare programs. We have exciting progress to report.

Progress
This week we announced that by October, 2006, we will no longer conduct feeding studies in external contract facilities or universities. Instead, we will transition all of our dog and cat feeding studies to three locations:
* In-home with pets volunteered by pet parents -- which already
accounts for more than half of the dogs and cats in our studies.
* In-house at the Iams Pet Health and Nutrition Center where an
expansion is underway.
* In places where dogs and cats already live, such as animal shelters
and with groups that provide assistance dogs to people in need.

This is another example of the innovative collaboration provided by our independent International Animal Care Advisory Board, which includes experts from a number of well-respected outside organizations such as the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) and the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS). We appreciate the expertise of these individuals as well as their organizations' dedication to the welfare of pets.

Myth-busting
Plenty of myths circulate on all topics over the Internet, and one story that is making the rounds talks about a beagle study at Auburn University funded by Iams. The story is a complete fabrication, but the reality is
simple: We are actually funding a study with beagles volunteered by their owners. Once the study is complete, the dogs and their puppies are returned to their homes. This is another example of how false stories can confuse the public.

To read more details about our dog and cat care and welfare program, visit http://www.IamsTruth.com <http://www.IamsTruth.com> . We created this Web resource to set the record straight and share our best practices with the rest of the pet food industry. Visit IamsTruth to see:
* Streaming video showing the dogs and cats at Iams study sites.
* A photo album of dogs and cats who have completed feeding studies
and have been adopted by caring Iams employees.
* Outside experts' observations about Iams policies and practices.
* Results from unannounced site reviews by the International Animal
Care Advisory Board.

Thank you for taking the time to read our message. If you no longer want to receive updates, please respond to this e-mail so that we may update our system. As always, Iams Consumer Care is happy to answer any questions you may have. Call 1-800-863-4267 to speak with one of our advisors about these important issues.

Sincerely,
Marti
Iams Consumer Care, North America
Old October 11th, 2004, 06:55 PM
Senior Contributor

well that is great news. they have to start somewhere and this is a good place to go from.
Old October 15th, 2004, 07:59 AM
Senior Contributor

dmc123,I too recieved the same e-mail.The food is still crap and i would not buy it for my cats,but it seems all the protesting did some good,I hope!