Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 13th, 2006, 10:23 AM

Hypoglocymic

It's me again! I am still beating my brains out with my yorkie named Baillie. You have all been wonderful and I do appreciate it very much. I would like to ask you about hypoglocymic. I was reading the yorkie magazine and it was talking about a dog being hypo and these symptons are about the same as he was having. Can a 1.5 year of 4 lb yorkie be hypoglocymic?

Many Many THanks,

Judie
Old January 13th, 2006, 10:26 AM
-

Any time your dog doesn't seem to be quite right I would see the vet. See them to make sure that there isn't a problem and to make you feel better knowing that there isn't.
Old January 13th, 2006, 10:34 AM

What does your vet have to say? What kind of tests have been recommended and/or done?

Before a diagnosis can be made on any thing, a physical exam and at least a blood test will have to be performed. Symptoms are not the only thing to go by.
Old January 13th, 2006, 10:39 AM
Senior Contributor

Yes, this can happen to tiny dogs like yours rather easily. This is why very small dogs need to eat frequently.
Old January 13th, 2006, 10:41 AM

Hypoglocymic

Beagleman,

I have taken this dog to Knoxville, Tenn to the University. He has had every test and exray a dog can have. I thought it was onions, coolant and/or tomato's. The tomato has been ruled out with all of the help here and the onions and the hypoglocymic is still up. When I took him to the vet that night at the Emergency Vet Hospital, the Vet looked at me and said, "I don't know" He also told me that a dog that age would not be hypoglocymic. I go back Monday to my regular vet and will talk to him about this hypo. He is suppose to have his teeth cleaned but I am not sure of letting him be put to sleep just yet. Now remember this dog has had the radiation test for liver shunt and MRI and EKG.

Judie
Old January 13th, 2006, 10:45 AM
-

Your pup shouldn't need to have his teeth cleaned yet.
What are all the symptoms you have seen?
Old January 13th, 2006, 10:58 AM

I have to agree with Lucky in that little dogs should eat more frequently than larger dogs. What kind of food are you feeding him and how often?

About his teeth cleaning, some dogs are more prone to tartar than others. Some dogs are especially prone to teeth and gum problems. Do you brush his teeth? This can help in minimizing the professional cleaning at the vet. I understand your hesitation to have his teeth cleaning done now without knowing what is going on with him. I too would worry.

I do hope that you can get to the bottom of this soon. I understand the worry involved with not knowing what is wrong with your little baby.
Old January 13th, 2006, 11:23 AM

Good food can also reduce the tartar. Newer research says that cheap kibble actually causes more tartar than premium canned food, thus premium seems to be the key. Foods like Iams, Purina, Eukanuba etc, that claim to have teeth cleaners are full of crap.