Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old January 22nd, 2012, 08:39 AM

What should I do about this dog? It's a pug.

So, a few months back, a friend of mine got a pug. September(ish) I think. It was when the nursing period ended for him.

Now, I go to her house a lot as her bf's my friend as well and we play video games a lot and for hours while she's not present (at work), so this is based on my personal observation.

The pug is untrained, it's almost like you could drop him in the wild and he'll live just fine. He's got claws the size of a bear and need trimming and they tear through things. He doesn't respond to his name no matter how much you call him. He has no respect for the owners' authority. He pees and poops everywhere and his droppings gets cleaned once a week (also, he drops right on the floor where he lives). He mostly stays on hard cold floor with no bed (as it gets taken away because he chews through it). My friend barely spends time with him, she'll wake up, get busy on her phone or laptop, probably spend an hour or two with the dog, then off to work, then another hour or two after work and gets back to being a sloth. I asked her bf about when I'm not there, and he says it stays the same. Last night, when I was there and she got back from work, I had to hear the pug cry out for her for about almost an hour while she lay in the living room playing on her phone. I told her and she's like "yeah, I can hear it" and I was like "okay then". It's also happened about 3 days ago where the little one barked and I told her and she's like "but I spent ALL morning with him". Also, the pug barely gets exercise, and he resides in a tiny space. As in, tinier than a closet (and that's where he drops his things as well). My friend usually throws the dog in different spots around the house, either a tiny hallway, the closet-sized washroom (where it's usually dark and he sits there away from the rest of us while we're in the living room), or on the other side of her bed (which is still a tiny space). And bear in mind, that where ever he's put, he poops and pees in the same spot as he hasn't been potty trained, and lives in that same space and rolls around in it. His droppings are cleaned ONCE a week.

I play with the dog for a bit when I'm there, but can't when she gets home because apparently I'm teasing him. I try teaching him, but it seems like he's gone beyond the point of being taught. I asked her bf if she disciplines the dog, and he's like "what do you think?".

So, am I being over-concerned for the little fellow? Is this normal? Should someone else get involved? Also, I'm not willing to talk to her because I'd have better luck smashing my head into the door (at least it'll budge or bend or break). Supposedly, "she knows what she's doing" and I can't say anything because "I don't own a dog".
Old January 22nd, 2012, 09:12 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Welcome to the forum dark_arts!

Interesting post. Tough one because you seem to love the pug more than your girlfriend or her boyfriend.

I'm really not sure what you can do here...because as you stated it's not your dog.

I agree that they do not seem to be taking great care of the dog but it doesn't sound like this dog fits any criteria of "abuse" to the point where any authorities would get involved. Compared to some abused dogs...unfortunately, this dog doesn't have it that bad. and Unfortunately, this is the plight of many pets. I agree that neglect is abuse btw.

My best advice, if it bothers you that much - might be to ask your friend if YOU can (if you want to) take the dog out regularly for some stimulation. It might be a nice bond for you and the dog, and the dog would surely appreciate it. and since you are there for hours anyway....

But trying to change your friend, that does not sound likely at all.
And hanging out there, given the way you feel about animals does not sound like it is doing you any good. I know that i personally could not hang out regularly in the same situation as you if i felt as you did....unless I felt that i was helping the situation.

I'd love to hear what other members feel about this.
Good luck!
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old January 22nd, 2012, 11:05 AM
Senior Contributor

After reading this and thinking about what might be done I have one suggestion, it appears to me that your friend is probably renting an apartment or house as they do not care about the Pug doing his "business" all over. So how about sending an anomonous(sp) letter to their landlord about how dirty the place is..the landlord comes in sees the damage and evicts them or the dog. If it is the dog then he at least will have a chance at life in a home that he is wanted.

I really feel for this poor dog, little to no attention, no training. Good luck with this and please keep us posted.

We really need to change the laws in this country on what is abuse...
Old January 23rd, 2012, 07:38 AM
Senior Contributor

If it is an apartment, you could call the spca, you don't have to give a name, let them assume you are a neighbour and put in a complaint about the smell, the dog crying etc.....that poor dog deserves a better home.
Old January 23rd, 2012, 09:21 AM

I would ask them if they would hand over their dog to a pug rescue. There is a good one in Ottawa called Under My Wing Pug Rescue.

http://undermywingpugrescue.com/
Old January 23rd, 2012, 02:48 PM
Senior Contributor

This is a waiting game really. This dog will not last in this home. They will get fed up and of course blame it on the dog's temperment.
What I would do is let them know that if for whatever reason they do not want their dog at some point that you will help in some way. Be close as they will give this dog up within the next few months I am certain.
If you do not want this dog for yourself, take this time to empower you with options such as rescue groups. So once the shoe falls - you can provide them with great alternatives.
Old January 23rd, 2012, 06:18 PM

Oh, the dog lives in a house. They rent a house, not an apartment.

I didn't know that counted as a factor.

But yeah, the girl's boyfriend did say that the landlords are going to deduct more than what they paid for the damage deposit, because the dog not only defecates everywhere, but he chews and claws at the walls (he's also managed to tear the floor mat in the kitchen :-p).

I can understand why the boyfriend wouldn't take care of it, it's not his dog. The girl got the dog in excitement without being fully aware of the responsibilities.

I'd take the dog, but I can't get one. I live in an apartment. Besides, I'm more of a bigger dog person (I love Bernese Mountain Dogs... those big bear-like fluffy doggies!!! :-D). The only reason I'm concerned for this little fellow is because I know he's got feelings too (another thing which she clearly doesn't understand, as her reply to that is "he's just a dog").

I'll definitely look into the matter.
Old January 23rd, 2012, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda View Post
If it is an apartment, you could call the spca, you don't have to give a name, let them assume you are a neighbour and put in a complaint about the smell, the dog crying etc.....that poor dog deserves a better home.
It's not an apartment, it's a house. Can an SPCA tip still remain anonymous.

However, I can still have my identity revealed because I'm the only person who goes there. :-(
Old January 23rd, 2012, 07:49 PM
Senior Contributor

Steal him and send it to me......just joking ....or am I?

This dog needs to be in a home where he can be loved and trained gently. I have no patience for dumb people who treat their animals like a toy.

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old January 23rd, 2012, 08:54 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_arts View Post
It's not an apartment, it's a house. Can an SPCA tip still remain anonymous.

However, I can still have my identity revealed because I'm the only person who goes there. :-(
yes, and your name will not be mentioned...but you can calll anonymously

Tags
doggy, pug, puggy, puppy