Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old August 5th, 2004, 09:33 PM

Question Which dog breeds are best with kids

I've been looking on Petfinder and going to my local shelter and searching everywhere. I really would like to add a dog to our family (even if that is crazy as there is already me and the four kids lol) I'm just terrified of choosing a dog that won't fit.

Is there any breed that I should steer clear of or steer towards? My youngest children are 1 year old twins so it would have to be an dog that doesn't mind a little bit of attention, but it also would need to be on the smaller side.

I had a beautiful spaniel/hound mix doggie when I was growing up and I loved her so much, but I've never seen another like her. She was a bit on the bigger side but she was perfect. I sure miss her.
Old August 5th, 2004, 09:39 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Some may disagree with me but small dogs and small kids generally do NOT go hand in hand.

Small breeds can be 'nippy' and are more easily injured by a little one who may 'sit' on the dog.

Teaching children to respect the dog BEFORE you bring it into the home is a good way to start. Use a stuffed dog toy and pretend that it's a new dog you just brought home. Teach the children to be mindful of where the dog is, not to hit, sit on, slap or rush towards the dog. Show them how to approach the dog and how to gently pat the dog. If you do not know these techniques yourself, I suggest you learn or ask here on this forum.

So, what do you think about the teaching aspect before you get the dog?

The dog should also have it's own 'place' to go to away from the children and they should know 'not' to bother doggie while he's there. IE his dog bed in a corner/crate.
Old August 5th, 2004, 09:51 PM

Oh I definitely agree about teaching before hand. My older two know the more basic stuff, and have been around a lot of dogs in their lives, my dad only has the smaller breeds and their friend has bigger dogs. The ones I worry about the most, are the twins, that is why I'm trying not to look before I leap, you know?

I would definitely love some advice on techniques to use before hand, anything that would prepare us all, even me

I, too, agree that some of the smaller breeds can be nippy. I have been trying to research breeds, even some of the mixed breeds, like cockapoos, etc. I would love a beagle but I'm not sure about that being a good mix with the kids either. I don't have a backyard but we have a great park not 2 minutes away.

The dog will have space that is specifically set up for him/her, with it's own bed, toys, food etc and it will be gated off from the kids when he/she is there.
Old August 5th, 2004, 10:42 PM
Senior Contributor

I think a beagle would be a very good choice! They are generally pretty tolerant and good with kids.

There are MANY listed on Petfinder who desperately need homes!

Other than beagles, bigger dogs are often better with kids. Small dogs are often nervous around kids, because of their small size and vulnerability.
Old August 5th, 2004, 10:44 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Beagle thumbs up!!
Except you won't ever be able to let the dog off leash really, being a hound..scent dogs go for anything they smell zoom zoom zoom!

Unless you have a fenced in dog park near you.
Old August 6th, 2004, 02:48 AM
banned user

If you get a beagle, you must be prepared to take her out for potty breaks- on a leash- every time she has to go, for as long as you live where you live. If beagles pick up on a scent (as Luba mentioned), they'll dash off, oblivious to your calls. Even the best trained beagle on the planet (which I had, but I'm biased lol) will still run off.
The personality of a beagle would be great for you and your kids, but perhaps because you don't have a fenced-in yard, another breed might be better for you. I imagine with four children it won't always be convenient to have to leash up the dog and supervise its potty breaks? You decide.
I do agree that most of the smaller breeds can be quite "nippy".
Labradors are notorious for their tolerant disposition, and make great family dogs. You could also bring your kids to your local shelter, and spend some time with some of the mutts in there, supervised by one of the officers that knows the dog well. Our shelter here has a room inside and an area outside specifically for "visitation" outside of the kennel. Oftentimes, the dog will choose you. See which dog is more interested in your kids than you- that's always a great sign, and they will warm up to you undoubtedly if you take them home!

Best of luck with your search.
Old October 11th, 2008, 01:31 PM

Wink Boxers

I've only been a dog person for a few years, previously a cat person. Now I own a pair of Boxers and one thing I have noticed is although they can look fearsome, they will specifically protect a child and give them one hundred percent attention and devotion. I think they are an underrated pet breed.
Old October 11th, 2008, 03:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by peedyng View Post
I've only been a dog person for a few years, previously a cat person. Now I own a pair of Boxers and one thing I have noticed is although they can look fearsome, they will specifically protect a child and give them one hundred percent attention and devotion. I think they are an underrated pet breed.
Just so ya know, This thread is 4 years old.. But, If anybody out there is asking this question and happens to see this thread, I would recommend an English setter. My uncle has a few of them and they love his 2 year old daughter and they are soooo gentle with her (Even when she isnt exactly gentle with them!)
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Gone but never ever forgotten.
Old October 17th, 2008, 09:52 PM

Smile

I think, if you have the room, great danes are the best for kids. We accidentally ended up with a great dane when our children were very young. That was about 20 years ago. Now I won't own any other dog.
Old October 17th, 2008, 09:58 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

ummmmm this thread is 4 years old I'm sure the OP found her dog by now.

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old October 17th, 2008, 10:02 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

you never know they might still be doing research.
Old October 18th, 2008, 08:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Don't you wonder sometimes whatever happened when you read an old thread? Did the OP get her dog? Those twins are 5 by now. Wonder how it's going.

I'm weird I know. But it's so strange that we get a teensy glimpse into someones life and then never know what happened to the fur babies when they ask a question about a litter or a sick dog or something.
Old December 4th, 2008, 08:38 PM

"Don't you wonder sometimes whatever happened when you read an old thread? Did the OP get her dog? Those twins are 5 by now. Wonder how it's going."

Funny! Makes me wonder...if she a procrastinator, we could soon be seeing a question like....Which dog breeds are best with young adults!