Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old February 25th, 2005, 12:23 PM

looking for decent kibble in Edmonton

I have an indoor cat who was raised on a decent quality cat food, but nothing special and I've finally decided to upgrade his food. I wouldn't worry so much if he had the chance to eat mice and birds and stuff to suppliment himself, but he's an indoor baby and doesn't get any of that stuff.

What I'm looking for is a place in Edmonton that sells a quality kibble at a decent price. I can go to the pet store, but I have very little extra money to spend and I'm convinced there must be something cheaper than that around. I don't mind spending the money on him, but I'd prefer to get the same product somewhere else at a better price.

The same goes for my dog. He's on my parents' farm right now. They feed the same cheapish brand as me but the dogs there get lots of bones and stuff. I'd like to put him back on something like Wellness (he got that as a young pup) when he comes home in a month because I really did notice the difference in his scat.

Ultimatly, I'd like to feed raw, but my freezer is about the size of a postage stamp, so a totally raw diet isn't reasonable right now.
Old February 25th, 2005, 12:49 PM

You're willing to feed your dog the best on the market, at no expense, but don't want to do that for your cat?
Contrary to popular belief, it's not that good for cats to eat mice and birds. The germs and diseases from them can far outweigh the "benificial" stuff...if you can call hoarking up bones and mouse hair benificial.

Put your cat on a good diet of quality food and your cat will live to a ripe old age!!!!

Now your dog....what do you mean by "bone and stuff"? What is stuff?

My dog is only allowed Nutro dog food and her bedtime treats. Other than that....bones and chew toys. Healthy, healthy, healthy. That's what she is.

Nutro might be a "lower" cost alternative to the Wellness, unless you're going to go raw. If you go raw, the cost jumps, but it's far better for the dog.

Keep us posted on your decision.
Old March 2nd, 2005, 11:50 AM

Hey, I've been gone for 5 days, hence not replying 'til now.

I don't reacal saying I wanted to feed my dog the best but not my cat. If I did, well, I didn't mean to. I'd like to feed them both the best but, short answer is, I can't afford to.

By 'bones and stuff' I meant mostly whatever remains my family has after butchering the bison- bones, muscle meat, offal, etc.

I think if I feed a slightly less than 'top of the line' food and suplament with the afformentioned raw bits. My cat won't eat raw meat like that but any better food is better that what he has right now.
Old March 2nd, 2005, 11:59 AM
Senior Contributor

Your cat is neutered? I strongly advise you to start feeding him mostly canned food to avoid problems like crystals, stones and blockages.

It doesn't have to be top of the line, but I would avoid most cheap store brands as they are very poor quality mostly.
Old March 3rd, 2005, 07:01 PM

Yes, he's neutered. I'm not eager to have an unfixed male housecat. The smell of male cat spray is impossible to get out of a house.

He's actually getting a not bad quality food (based on 1st 3 ingrediants, protein and fat amount, etc) but it doesn't seem to agree with him anymore. Sometimes his stool is very loose and smells horrible (and the air currents bring that smell right into the kitchen )

Perhaps if I simply give him a 1/4 can or so of canned cat food each day to go along with his kibble, that would be enough. At least he'd be eating something resembling meat and less processed carbohydrates and rancid fat.

I'm still open to suggestions for the dog. Do you think supplementing with raw meat and bones (rather than changing kibbles) would be a good idea for him as well.