Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old November 2nd, 2006, 05:09 PM

anxiety or bordom?

I have a 7 month old beagle. I take him where I can and I feel bad if I need to leave him in his kennel because he will howl and it is not a large kennel. I have put him in the kitchen with a gate up which was working well (the howling stopped) but I only have a 4' stub wall in my kitchen and he is some how getting over it, he seems to have the need to look out the window( I didn't realize beagles where jumpers) for the most part he is a very good dog but he is still a puppy who likes to get in trouble occasionaly but so far he hasn't done serious damage when he gets out. should I give access to the living room and kitchen or get a larger kennel and apologise to my neighbours for the noise? is this anxiety or bordom?
Old November 2nd, 2006, 06:24 PM
Senior Contributor

It might be a bit of both.
You can try exercising him before you leave so that he is more tired when he is alone. You can get a kong with peanut butter, or something yummy inside (frozen would make it last longer). I
f you don't think he would get into anything, you could let him have the run of the house.
Or you could ease him into staying in a kennel while you are gone. This can be done by leaving for short amounts of time at first and then slowly increase the time that he is alone.

By the way, I have a 3 year old beagle, and I found out that they can be very determined, so if jumping will get them what they want, they will try their hardest. That is one of Cassie's strong points...her determination...lol...not always a good thing
Old November 2nd, 2006, 06:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Sounds more like boredom than anything.
I agree with Hunter's_owner, I would get him a kong to put things in so he's maybe a little bit more occupied. Maybe you could put a small tv or radio in there with him, he might feel better if he can hear the sound of people. If you exercise him before you leave that might help, but you should wait a little while for him to calm down, or else he'll be riled up and ready to play when you leave.
Personally I don't like the idea of puppies running loose in a house, because even if they're normally well behaved they could suddenly decide to get into something or eat something they're not supposed to, which can be dangerous, but it's up to you. If you think he can handle full roam of the house without eating anything dangerous or tearing things up, he may be ok.
Old November 8th, 2006, 01:07 AM

I agree, probably bordem

I'm sure you give your dog plenty of attention, but you might try taking him on long walks to help wear out some of that extra energy. Also, toys might help, but if he's determined to look out the window, you might have to resort to diciplinary action as well. Dogs tend to not like citrus smelling things (lemon in particular I've noticed). You could try spraying a citrus or dog repellent next to/or on the ledge he's jumping on to keep him from wanting to jump on it. I don't think allowing him more access to the house is going to help, and if it is a restless energy problem, he might end up being destructive to other areas of the house i.e.--chewing on furniture, etc.

Good luck!