Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old September 11th, 2004, 02:20 PM
Crusader

Pedigree pet food recall

FIVE types of pet food from the Pedigree and Whiskas brands have been recalled in eight countries, following fears that one product, Pedigree Dry dog food, may be linked to the death of several dogs from kidney failure.

'My dog became lethargic, kept vomitting and refused to eat. We had to hand-feed him because he would sniff the food and refuse to eat although he is normally very greedy.' - Mr Steven Tan (above), who said his two-year-old labrador, Maximus, died a week after it began eating from a new packet of Pedigree Dry -- JOYCE FANG
Pedigree Dry's ingredients include chicken protein and all the products recalled by the US-based manufacturer, Effem Foods, were made in the same plant in Thailand.

Singapore veterinarian James Tan, who runs his own animal hospital, said he saw 14 or so cases of kidney failure in dogs last month, and seven cases in the first 10 days of this month alone.

Pet owner Steven Tan, 36, the managing director of a marketing consultancy, said his two-year-old labrador died a week after it was switched to a new packet of Pedigree Dry.

TAKEN OFF THE SHELVES

EFFEM Foods advises customers to avoid feeding their pets these recalled products:

• Pedigree Dry dog food

• Whiskas Dry cat food

• Pedigree Dog's Delight Ringo

• Pedigree Dog's Delight Tasty Bone

• Pedigree Puppy Biscuit dog treats

Customers can get a full refund for unused products. Visit www.pedigreeinfo.com or call 6877-7007 between 9am and 6pm to find out how to get a refund.

The other vets approached said they had not noticed any increase in renal failure cases in pet dogs at their clinics.

Effem said it ordered the recall as soon as evidence of mould was found in raw materials on Wednesday at the factory in Pakchong, Thailand.

The manufacturer also denied any link between bird flu and Pedigree Dry.

There has been no report linking sick or dead animals with the other recalled products, but their recall is a precaution.

Worldwide, more than 600,000 dogs are said to be fed every day with Effem's products.

Thai-made Pedigree and Whiskas pet food is also exported to Korea, Indonesia, Taiwan, the Philippines, Malaysia and Vietnam.

Singapore's food safety watchdog, the Agrifood and Veterinary Authority, said it had not received reports of pets with sudden renal failure after they ate Pedigree Dry, but it would monitor the situation.

From Bangkok, Effem's general manager for South-east Asia, Mr Calvin Schmidt, said there had been no complaint linking renal failure to Pedigree Dry in Singapore.

Singapore Veterinary Association president Tan Hwa Luck said kidney disease is common in dogs, but usually only in those above eight years old.

A protein-rich or high-salt diet or even a virus may cause a dog's kidneys to fail, but old age is still the main reason.

Effem said on its website: 'In recent weeks, there have been reports of increased kidney disease among dogs in Taiwan. A substantial number of them were being fed our company's Pedigree Dry dog food.'

Effem is investigating reports that about 100 dogs fell ill in Taiwan after being fed Pedigree Dry dog food and that 60 had died.

Numerous tests, it claimed, had shown no link between kidney failure and the dog food. It maintained that the salt and protein content were within safe limits.

Mr Tan is not convinced. He said his dog, Maximus, had never been sick before and was being trained as a search and rescue dog.

He said: 'My dog became lethargic, kept vomiting and refused to eat. We had to hand-feed him because he would sniff the food and refuse to eat although he is normally very greedy.

'I don't know for sure why he suddenly fell sick but we are going to send that dog food for testing.'
Old September 11th, 2004, 02:25 PM
Crusader

Saturday, August 7, 2004

HCM CITY-Greyhound dog racing will be suspended in Vung Tau, following the deaths of 10 dogs poisoned by contaminated dog food, an official from Sports Entertainment and Services (SES) said on Thursday.
Ten dogs died on August 4 from kidney ailments and two died in March, My said.
"We are facing a difficult time. All 638 greyhounds, each costing US$2,000, may contract the same disease."He said the deaths may have been due to the Pedigree brand of dog food.
Old September 11th, 2004, 05:06 PM
A.R.Activist & Vet Assis.

Ironknight....Can you please tell me the source where you got this information ? Thanks Sharon
Old September 11th, 2004, 09:12 PM
Crusader

Shae all you had to do was a search on the Internet!
click on the following links!

Pedigree recalls more dog food
11/03/2004 17:22 - (SA)

Pedigree brand dog food recalled in Asia after illnesses reported

Pedigree Dry Dog and Cat Food Recalled in The Philippines

There's countless articles all over the internet! not to mention the one's i already Added..
just do a little search!
have a nice day .
Old September 11th, 2004, 09:33 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I posted about this before, it's crap food for sure.
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread....edigree+recall
Old September 11th, 2004, 09:44 PM
Crusader

Thanks Luba i remember that post... that's where i learned about it the first time around..
Old September 12th, 2004, 01:22 AM
A.R.Activist & Vet Assis.

Thanks IRONKNIGHT.....I know...blonde moment I guess. It happens *L*
Sharon
Old September 12th, 2004, 04:40 PM
Senior Contributor

it is important to remember that is only the asian pedigree companies .
the australian owned and made pedigree is very safe and a wonderful product which i swear by.