Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 3rd, 2006, 12:37 AM

Cat vomited

My cat vomited today, it was quite random he was just prowling around the house then he came to me and meowed for me to pick him up. A few seconds after I did he vomited a large amount or chicken strips and cat food.

Later I found out that my cat had learned to open the ziplock seal on the treat bag and had stole and eaten a large amount of dried chicken strips.

Should I take him to the vet or is this just a case of over eating?

Also the chicken strips we bought was ment for dogs, but we found out our cat really liked chewing on them. The strips aren't brittle so they don't break off into chunk that can choke. I've read the back of the package and it didn't have any warnings against humans or cats eating it.
Old March 3rd, 2006, 07:31 AM

Hi
I wouldnt worry too much about your cat vomitting. I would keep an eye on him and make sure he isn't acting strange or trying to hide. I have one cat that gorges herself and then just stands there and pukes. She does this quite often but it doesnt seem to afect her. The vet thinks she is just a bit of a glut.
Old March 3rd, 2006, 07:49 AM
Senior Contributor

The odd vomiting does not mean the cat is sick,in this case I would keep a close eye on him for any other symptoms or more vomiting.
I am not sure what you mean by Chicken-strips ,but if it's large pieces it could cause blockage problems.
Old March 3rd, 2006, 12:27 PM

Our one cat vomits occasionally from eating to fast or too much I wouldn't worry unless you cat is showing other symptoms of being sick or not feeling well.
Old March 3rd, 2006, 03:48 PM
FatFat and LittlMan's Mom

One of my cats is a huge glutten and vomits when he eats too much too fast. I think that it doesn't digest and it upsets his stomach. My parents' cat also did this frequently. I don't think it is much to worry about, but I would still keep an eye on him to make sure that there isn't any other change that would warrant any other concerns.

Butch and Sunny's Mom

Butch (aka Fatfat) 8/11/2005
Sunny (aka LittleMan) 8/11/2005
Old March 3rd, 2006, 05:35 PM

He's acting normally, I think he just overate. He really goes nuts over the chicken strips/jerky so I think when he got his paws on them he at way too much.
Old March 3rd, 2006, 06:41 PM

Whew...I thought my cat was bulimec..(kidding) . Seriously, my B.C does the same with canned food at least 1, maybe 2 times a week. He gets in a hurry when all the cats are together for dinner, and up it comes...if I'm lucky it's right back in his dish...easier to clean up.
Old March 7th, 2006, 02:18 PM

Ok my cat is having the same problem she is puking after she eats and then she goes back for more. I was wondering the same thing ( bulimic ). So this is normal then. She doesn't act sick or anything she knows both of my cats get fed their wet food in the morning and usually she eats all of her half of the can and then goes and eats the other cats too. When I took her to the vet she weighed 13.8 pounds! So I guess I should stop worrying about her, but does anyone know how to stop it or at least curb it. maybe she is just FAT KITTY!