Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Foster talk - Rescue talk - NO listings please

Old April 21st, 2006, 09:33 AM
Senior Contributor

Puppy Mill Hell! Lets Put An End To It!

There's a puppymill hell, to receive the complete email about this canine hell, please send me a pm.

Pictures to prove it...

There may be a peaceful protest in front of the mill....

Last edited by poodletalk; April 22nd, 2006 at 02:47 AM.
Old April 21st, 2006, 09:56 AM
Rottie owner and lover

I have goose bumps with what I just read, and tears...I will do what I can...We need to speak for those who can not speak for themselves. They never asked to be treated like this, nor did they ask to be born.....OMG how horrible
Old April 21st, 2006, 10:09 AM

this is disgraceful

This is the most horrific thing I have heard in a while. Those poor babies. Who do these people think they are? Some kind of god? To think they have the right to harm another living thing, especially something as innocent as an animal. This is dispicable. Have you gone to the media in Canada? What about america? We should definitely be getting the word out on this one to shut it down for good. Let me know what I can do to help! Thanks for the info! I am so glad there are poeple like you in the world to protect our wonderful creatures walking the earth. You are fab!
Old April 21st, 2006, 10:15 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Having had multiple dogs from this location, can't really see what a march will do to help. It's a remote location, in a butt nowhere town, with neighbours more than aware of what goes on. Great have media but it will just die down and they'll continue or set up shop in another location. Unless legal charges are laid, which has yet to happen, a bunch of placard wielding peeps will just give the people in charge more reason to harm the animals. Quebec sucks when it comes to the animals and our laws and manpower need adjustment first. I wish this endeavour great success but personally view it as an exercise in futility. I realize this won't be popular but meet one of the dogs that is afraid of someone walking on gravel or terrified of workboots and my own view is be able to help at least one instead of harming many still in there with this demonstration. But that's JMHO.
Old April 21st, 2006, 11:14 AM

Rally For The Puppies

I am sorry but I don't agree with you on this one. We need to do anything we can to assist those animals even if it is futile. We can only hope that the majority of people will stand up and do the right thing. I understand your point but if we just do nothing what will that acheive? What else can we do?
Old April 21st, 2006, 11:35 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Please don't take this personally but as you live in WA, you really have no idea of the conditions of multiple mills in this province. It's not a dig but it's a reality of how cruel the Quebecer is to animals and how they are viewed as profit machines. Raising a stink with this particuliar mill by public displays will most likely result in them killing all the dogs that are barely useful any more with a baseball bat, abandoned to die by slow starvation or some other lovely means. Those that are still useful will just be moved to another location. That's the reality. I understand the want to help but I also greatly understand the danger to these animals by trying this route. This is not small league puppymilling, these are peeps who value their income and won't be too happy with this plan. Live, breathe and meet these animals then perhaps there will be a greater understanding of what this particuliar place is capable of on a whim.
Old April 21st, 2006, 11:50 AM
-

How come ANIMAQUEBEC is not doing anything about it??IT'S THEIR JOB!!!Would it help if we would all place complaints about that puppy mill to Animaquebec? quebec sucks...sorry,I'm just mad as hell.
Old April 21st, 2006, 11:51 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I understand your point but if we just do nothing what will that acheive?
There's not much TO be done. Laws are useless if personnel to enforce them are not hired, and that is the case here. Last I heard, there were around 3 cruelty investigators for all of Quebec - a huge province. Stopping animal cruelty is Job 10 here.

But you can do something in your own country if you want to help. PA and Missouri have the biggest concentration of puppymillers in all of North America.

Since you DO have laws concerning cruelty, that are enforced, you could start there!
Old April 21st, 2006, 12:39 PM
Senior Contributor

I agree, a demo would probably be of little use, they are obviously monsters and will just laugh at us (which is fine, but leads nowhere).
Poodletalk, is there any way of finding out who they sell to? The pet shops who buy from them should see those pictures. I think demos outside of one of the bigger chains would be more effective, maybe cut into their profit margins. They all buy from mills.
And copies to every provincial politician.
Old April 21st, 2006, 12:59 PM
Senior Contributor

OK...i GOT SO EMOTIONAL THAT i CROSS POSTED AND NOW I AM GETTING OVER 50 PEOPLE WANTINGTO HELP IN ANY WAY...WHAT CAN I TELL THEM AND HOW IS THE BEST WAY THEY CAN HELP?
Old April 21st, 2006, 01:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
they are obviously monsters and will just laugh at us
From what I've heard, these people are dangerous and do will more than laugh.

Quote:
WHAT CAN I TELL THEM AND HOW IS THE BEST WAY THEY CAN HELP?
Tell them all to call the SPCA and insist on some sort of action. Don't know how much good it will do.
Old April 21st, 2006, 01:12 PM

do something

I totally understand where you are coming from on the 'I live in WA' deal. You are right, I have never seen this place or can probably not begin to imagine what these people are like or will do. But, I guess in a way I feel helpless and I am extremely angry and emotional about this. I can't believe there is nothing we can do, I was wondering who in your political parties can we contact regarding this that will actually do something about this? Is there phone numbers to call, email address'?
Old April 21st, 2006, 01:20 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Badger is more on the right track. The Hunte Corporation is huge and it supplies one of the biggest Pet Stores in Montreal. Proof of these purchases has been obtained but do they care...nope.. but take it to the public by hitting them in the news because everyone thinks they are such a lovely beautiful pet store with knowledgeable staff.. that would hurt them more. They sold a puppy discounted last week... we went as far as to offer to purchase the two litter mates out for $50 each more than they paid from the original breeder, but nope, Supervisor said we place our dogs carefully. Well guess what, he was dumped in a week so oh yes, they do their jobs very well.

Why not encourage pet stores to sell rescue dogs or alter and properly vaccinate all pets prior to selling? That's more a step in doing away with the damn mills that most likely anything else. Just takes one huge chain to start and the rest may follow.

Pipe dreams I know.. but that direction is more possible IMHO.

Sorry, somewhat off topic but in the same direction.
Old April 21st, 2006, 01:22 PM
Senior Contributor

As I said, if you want to help, get a petition or write to your government about the dreadful abuse in Missouri and PA.
Here's a place you can take a look at:

http://www.puppymillrescue.com/

"Missouri's dog breeding industry is massive. An estimated Third of all the puppies sold in the United States come from this State."

Our government won't listen to us, and are not likely to care what people from other countries think.
Old April 21st, 2006, 02:10 PM

Boycott Hunte

Ok great way to start out, Boycott Hunte. I am going online to find their website right now to write them a nasty email.
Old April 21st, 2006, 02:18 PM
Senior Contributor

If anyone would like to have the contact information for the person who's organizing this protest. Pls PM me.

Last edited by poodletalk; April 21st, 2006 at 02:28 PM.
Old April 21st, 2006, 02:25 PM

Emails Sent

Ok went online and sent email to Petland which I guess is a major buyer of Hunte Corporation puppies and sent them an email stating that I would be boycotting their store due to the fact that they purchase their puppies from puppy mills and that I was spreading the word about it. I cannot locate an email for Hunte Corp yet would really like Andrew Hunte's phone number.
Old April 21st, 2006, 02:42 PM

More Emails

Ok also sent emails to the White House and Dick Cheney regarding this issue. Anywhere else?
Old April 21st, 2006, 02:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Dick Cheney!! Now there's a stand-up guy..the more exposure the better, even if one of his minions see it and it tugs on their conscience.
I would be happy to stand outside one of those stores with a poster around my neck (no shortage of sad pictures) and maybe a leaflet (although my big mouth would probably be enough). Just wind me up and point me in the right direction. I can think of one animalerie right now that deserves to be literally ruined...
Old April 23rd, 2006, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Rescue
There's not much TO be done. Laws are useless if personnel to enforce them are not hired, and that is the case here. Last I heard, there were around 3 cruelty investigators for all of Quebec - a huge province. Stopping animal cruelty is Job 10 here.
There may be only 3 investigators in the entire province, but does it get any worse than what I have read??? Are these 3 investigators, investigating more serious cases?
Old April 24th, 2006, 01:46 AM
Performance Spaniels

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMDLuver
everyone thinks they are such a lovely beautiful pet store with knowledgeable staff.. that would hurt them more. They sold a puppy discounted last week... we went as far as to offer to purchase the two litter mates out for $50 each more than they paid from the original breeder, but nope, Supervisor said we place our dogs carefully. Well guess what, he was dumped in a week so oh yes, they do their jobs very well. .
I was on vacation when this thread was started, so I'm not sure what it said before.. but I can guess at least what we are talking about. Cider came from the big petstore.. that I think we are talking about.. and she was discounted because she was the last one left from her litter, and a family had taken her home and decided as a puppy she was nothing like the dog they'd put down the day before. So she was 'used' merchandise they wanted rid of asap..
Best part was that my roomie bough into the story that she was from a 'good breeder' that carefully sells their puppies. Even though I told her no 'good' breeder would sell to a store. But a lot of people thought that that story was true, and were aghast when I pointed out that they were coming from a puppymill a few towns away. Freaked out and told me I was lying. The store made the story of where the puppies came from seem too true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMDLuver
Why not encourage pet stores to sell rescue dogs or alter and properly vaccinate all pets prior to selling? That's more a step in doing away with the damn mills that most likely anything else. Just takes one huge chain to start and the rest may follow.
I saw this on another board. Not sure I fully agree with it.. but I guess it is a start.
http://www.columbusdispatch.com/news...419-E4-00.html

A pet-store chain fighting the city of Athens over its spayneuter ordinance has a new source of puppies: the Athens County Dog Shelter.

County officials have agreed to allow Petland to pick from the pups at the dog shelter — paying the going price of $50 — and sell them at a markup at its E. State Street store.

Critics say the arrangement gives Petland a cheap source of profitable dogs, but officials praise the deal as saving up to 150 animals a year that otherwise might be euthanized.

Sarah Filipiak, co-founder of the Athens Coalition of Companion Animals, said less-costly dogs are available directly from the pound or nonprofit rescue groups.

"An easier way for Petland to make a dent in pet overpopulation is to ensure every puppy and kitten they sell, including purebreds, are spayed or neutered before they leave the store," she said.

Petland will sterilize most puppies acquired from the shelter, but a few might be too young to be spayed or neutered prior to sale, said Lana Planisek, county dog warden and Athens humane officer.

"My basic concern at this point is to save as many animals’ lives at my shelter as I can," she said. The shelter euthanizes about 1,000 dogs a year, half of which are puppies. She thinks 100 to 150 can be saved. Few are purebreds.

Petland will quarantine the pound puppies at its veterinary center for two weeks to vaccinate and de-worm the dogs before returning them to Athens for sale, she said.

Joe Watson, vice president of retail operations for Chillicothebased Petland, said the company is pleased if it can help save pups that might otherwise die.

Dogs from the shelter that are deemed to have problems after being examined or do not sell in the store will be sold at a deep discount or given free to good homes, he said.

The intention is for all pound animals to be sterilized, Watson added, but some pups might be sold before they are old enough, and owners later will receive a certificate to get the dog spayed or neutered.

Petland, which operates more than 175 stores, including 29 in Ohio, has similar arrangements elsewhere to purchase dogs from shelters, but could not identify those stores.

Athens County Commissioner Bill Theisen supports the arrangement, saying he wants to save unwanted dogs from "going to the landfill."

"Our policy hasn’t changed. The cost is the same to everybody. Petland is going to be another customer who buys our dogs, spays and neuters them and then sells them," he said.

Petland also has agreed to display adult dogs from the shelter outside its store to encourage their adoption from the pound, Theisen said.

The pet-store chain went to court a year ago seeking to overturn an Athens ordinance requiring pet stores and breeders outside the city to prove that the buyers of their animals later had them sterilized.

Petland says the ordinance, which carries a $100 fine, is discriminatory and an unconstitutional restraint of commerce. City officials say the law is needed to reduce the number of stray and unwanted animals.

After two futile attempts to negotiate a settlement of the lawsuit, lawyers advised the court last week to set the case for trial, said Lisa Eliason, city prosecutor.

In response to the city ordinance, Petland started giving its Athens customers a certificate to have their dogs spayed or neutered for free in Chillicothe.
Old April 25th, 2006, 11:45 AM
banned user

Never Stop!

Never stop trying, this is something we all must work on for the sake of the animals.
http://www.petitiononline.com/3450/petition.html
Old April 25th, 2006, 11:57 AM
-

Already signed that one.Just wish I could do more...