Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old March 22nd, 2006, 04:32 PM
owned by Tucker

Sorry to hear that your doggy has cancer hopefully they will be able to do something for her.
Old March 22nd, 2006, 08:05 PM
Senior Contributor

I am so very sorry about Daisy but as was mentioned earlier, dogs handle chemo and narcotocs and other treatments so much better than we humans do. They do very well and can live long lives after fighting the disease and miracles do happen - I see it every week with human children and I know dogs and cats who have beaten cancer and are doing extremely well now. There are many resources available online if you are interested - I know I posted them previsouly but they are bookmarked on another computer and I am typing from work.

Good luck!! I hope you can find a protocol that works well for her!!! There are also some amazing new drugs - tho we say amazing because they target the cells and do not kill all the healthy cells in close proximity. That seems to help humans tho sho suffer much more from nausea and other adverse effects than do animals. Cats for example can do well with less pain meds than humans. There is a great web site about a cat with cancer named Punkie Louise. If you type Punkie Louise in one of the search engines like google, you will prob find her.

Bonne chance!!!!
Old March 22nd, 2006, 08:15 PM
ZooKeeper aka Mom

all paws and fingers crossed for you and daisy here too. know I am new, but wanted to add my support.
Old March 23rd, 2006, 09:46 AM

I too adopted a dog, I was told he was going to be put down, they said he was 5 years old...they said he was healthy.They sold him for 10.70..10.00 plus 70.00 GST...sickening.We got him home, he had to be shaved, he was matted so bad, and lumps on his body! and not fixed.He ended up being ..oh they figure 11 or 12 years old, cancer and was probly a puppymill breeding dog.
we had him a good 11 months and he passed away.
so either the person who dumped him was lying to the rescue place or the rescue place was lying to my hsuband.Vet said no way he was 5 years old.
he was a shih tzu but not pure we dont think.
we never expected that to happen when we adopted him.I would have taken him anyway! but I woud have liked truth upfront!

so we still have coco or wee montreal blizzard of 1997 stray dog and we have bought bazil, who is now almost 7 months old shih tzu.
Old March 23rd, 2006, 01:41 PM
-

So sorry to hear the bad news. I lost my last two huskies to cancer so I know what you`re going through.:sad: One of them had a four inch tumour removed from his intestines and then his intestines stretched and sewn back together. The vet said his prognosis was 8-10 months but he survived for 20 months. Our fingers and paws are crossed for you too.
Old March 25th, 2006, 05:50 PM
-

loveyadogs;I'm really sorry about your dog,I know what you mean when you say you would have adopted him anyway.Daisy was 8 yr old when I got her,she is now 10.I did get the x-rays negative for cancer.Then,the other vet (my vet's wife) told me she would operate to take out the tumour.So,she's saying she would,her husband (my usual vet) says otherwise!I've ask people from the rescue I volunteer for their opinions.Not good.I had my vet faxed all Daisy's results to the rescue vet.I called three times,he's supposed to call me back,I've been waiting since yesterday.All I do is wait,everytime I get an answer,it brings back more questions,more tests!I took the appointment for the surgery,but then I had mixt feelings.It seems like taking chances,witch can end up with bad results.I just don't know....I'm against chemo for animals,and my vet told me that type of cancer doesn't respond well to chemo anyway.So that's out of the question.The waiting part,the different opinions,it's all very nerve wracking.If I get her operated and something would happen,I could never forgive myself.I guess I will base my decision on the third vet's opinion.If he could just call me!
Old March 25th, 2006, 06:04 PM
-

In addition to my dog having cancer,it's been 22 years today that I lost my dad to cancer.I was 13 at the time.My dad was only 58.It's not a sad day for me,it's been a long time and I would rather think of happy memories.But,having lost other people to cancer,I'm pretty sick of hearing the word.You would think that in the 2000"s years we would be closer to a cure.:sad:
Old March 25th, 2006, 06:09 PM

Frenchy - big hugs for you from me and Toby
Old March 26th, 2006, 08:24 AM
Senior Contributor

Frenchy,I am sorry you and Daisy still don't have any definite answers:sad:
Operation or no operation???
Maybe Daisy,being older,will be happier just being home under your loving care,unless she is suffering pain.
Some vets,I am sorry to say,would operate no matter what the predicted outcome,but how do you know??
Whatever your desicion,it will be based on your own instincts and Daisys wellbeing,quality of life etc..
Hugs to you and Daisy:love:
Old March 26th, 2006, 08:48 AM
Senior Contributor

Frenchy....my thoughts are with you and Daisy...a miracle sure would be nice.
Old March 26th, 2006, 10:02 AM
PeachesnSimon'sMamma

many many hugs to you and Daisy from all of us

~Those who KNOW better are responsible to TEACH better~

Jenn, Simon and Peaches
12/14/03
Old March 26th, 2006, 10:24 AM
Senior Contributor

Frenchy you and only you will have to make the decision for Daisy. But a few things to maybe think about she is an older dog and anesteshia at any age is risky, so will the surgery give her a longer quality life. If it is only a few months why put her through that all the trauma and the recovery. If they think they can give her a lot more time then maybe it is worth the risk. But if she is not in pain and maybe they can manage the cancer and give her quality life maybe a shorter time but happier. I know this is really tough for you and when we are stressed like this sometimes you just need to sit back and try and clear your mind and write down all the positives and all the negatives it may give you a clearer picture. Whatever you decide I am sure it will be with Daisy's best intrests in mind. I hope you and Daisy get better news soon
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old March 26th, 2006, 10:35 PM

I'm sorry for the cancer and all the decisions it brings. :sad: Nothing I say will help much, so I'm just sending hugs..
Old March 27th, 2006, 06:37 PM
-

I finaly decided to go ahead with the operation.After speaking with the rescue's vet (the one I'm volunteering for,not the vet,I mean the rescue!) He assured me it was a simple operation and nowadays goldens live an average of 13-14 years so it could buy Daisy some time.The only thing is if they screw up,it can lead to fecal incontinence.But every surgery has it's risk.So she will spend 2 days at the vet,operation is april 10.It will be her second operation for cancer in 9 months.It will be her last,if it comes back,I'm not going to fight it.So things are looking up. Thanks everyone for your kind words,it help me a lot.
Old March 27th, 2006, 07:06 PM

I'll be thinking about you and Daisy and keeping my fingers crossed.
Vega, the GSD - Husky mix
both from rescue, of course!!!
Old March 27th, 2006, 07:10 PM
Slave to the Wigglebum

Frenchy you and Daisy are in my prayers.
Old March 27th, 2006, 08:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Frenchy if Daisy has your resolve she will be fine. Fingers and paws crossed that everything goes great. You and Daisy will be in our thoughts
Old April 14th, 2006, 02:24 PM
-

Just to let you know that Daisy had her operation last monday and I picked her up Tuesday.EVERYTHING WENT/IS FINE!!!The operation was a success and it was about time,it grew from the size of clementime to the size of an orange in 2 weeks.You would never think she had an operation,she is 100% herself,went back today for them to check if eveything was ok.Stitches are fine,it's all little swollen but that's normal.I'm home today so she is not wearing her cone and being a good girl,no licking whatsoever,I do put compress twice a day and have to put vaseline to keep it "tender".Her but is all shave,sexy Daisy!She did find a way to relieve herself by "scratching" her bum on the carpet,tried to put spandex shorts on her but they didn't last long,they split open after an hour!All she needed was a bra and I could have getting her in a Madonna's lookalike contest!So now my only wish is that there is no more cancer elsewhere.Things are sooo much better this week!
Old April 14th, 2006, 02:44 PM
-

Glad to hear the operation went fine and that Daisy is recovering so well. What a big relief for both of you. We`ll keep our fingers crossed for no recurrences.
Old April 14th, 2006, 04:14 PM

Yey!! That's good news!
Old April 14th, 2006, 04:18 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh yes,that's wonderful news,keeping my that she'll have many more happy years with you:love:
Old April 14th, 2006, 04:40 PM
Senior Contributor

That is great news!!!! and this is coming from a person who next month this time will be a 25 year cancer survivor
Old April 14th, 2006, 05:22 PM
Slave to the Wigglebum

That's so wonderful!!!!
Old April 14th, 2006, 05:58 PM
Senior Contributor

What fantastic news
Old April 14th, 2006, 06:26 PM

Congratulations

Great news I am so happy for you, i have been watching your posts but have not responded as the subjest hits close to home for me too, I am such a cry baby I have tears in my eyes right now! My father passed of cancer 12-20-05. Right before christmas was really hard, I don't think I really ever mourned it yet either. But anyway enough about me, so glad to see another cancer survivor going strong! You are a fabulous mother!
Old April 14th, 2006, 06:33 PM
-

Atta Grrrl Daisy !!!! So happy for you Frenchy !!!
Old April 14th, 2006, 06:52 PM

Great news!!!
Vega, the GSD - Husky mix
both from rescue, of course!!!
Old April 15th, 2006, 01:19 PM
Senior Contributor

Thx for sharing your wonderful news Frenchie! You are truly a good person to help your beloved pooch this way. I hope she does well from now on. I am sorry to hear about your dad - I am an oncologist who is also coping with my own chemo protocol (and working at the same time) and lost two grandparents to cancer so I know how you feel. Some days I feel our research is making a difference and other days I am ready to scream. But I have also seen many miracles so I always hold out hope for everyone, two legged and four pawed!

Last edited by CyberKitten; April 15th, 2006 at 01:27 PM.
Old April 15th, 2006, 01:53 PM
-

Daisy and her mom says thanks to everybody!Ontariogreys;congratulation on your 25 yr anniversary ,I'm very happy you could overcome such a terrible disease,survivor you are !Alajoagra,you are not a crybaby,I'm sorry for your loss.I understand what you are going trhu,lost my father to cancer when I was 13 yr old.With time,it's gets less painful,I try to remember only the good times...and take comfort thinking what a great father he was with us,always happy and loving.Some people are not that lucky.:sad:Keep your head up and take care of yourself.
Old April 15th, 2006, 02:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Frenchy I am so happy for you and Daisy. I am truly pleased she is feeling so good. Ontariogreys congrats to you, I lost my mom in 89 to the awful c word.