Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old April 13th, 2006, 01:41 PM

Frustration

Is anyone else tired of coming on pets.ca and reading posts that are variations of the following theme:

Please help me.... or I'll have to kill my pet/get rid of my pet

ARGH.
This is just my rant for the day. I'd love to read someone's plea for help/advice that doesn't include these ultimatums.

I know, I know. I'm not going through what they are going through; I shouldn't judge, maybe they are just frustrated... etc.

STILL!!!!!!!!
Old April 13th, 2006, 03:13 PM

It's spring... Time to clean out all the old, unwanted stuff. Plus it's puppy season too.
Old April 13th, 2006, 03:49 PM
Senior Contributor

Yes,I agree,it's frustrating,just imagine what it's like for all the rescuers on this Forum,I am sure they hear it all the time
Old April 13th, 2006, 05:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Yes, we get this all time. Someone emailing or calling with "IF you don't take my pet right now, I'll kill it and it will be YOUR fault." Of course it usually starts with "I love my dog/cat like my child...BUT.."

If it turns out the pet is 15 years old, a cat who pees all over or a dog who bites we tell them that if THEY don't want the pet they've had for years and supposedly love, why on earth would some stranger want it?

More abusive emails ensue, along the lines of "I thought you were supposed to help animals..horrible people...blah blah..."

They just want someone else to do their dirty work so they can keep their hands clean.

Very sad.
Old April 13th, 2006, 06:17 PM
-

Well Prin,you're right.2-3 weeks ago,we kept getting demands from people who couldn't keep their dogs.We did our best,all the rescues are full,shelters are even worst,I had to pick up a dog last friday at a pound,they only had her for 2 days but wanted to euthanaze her,the place was too full.Another rescue called me about her so I went and pick her up.I ask the person from the other rescue,why?Why is it sooo ectic this time of year (I tought the 'rush period' would be june-july,moving days) and she said;it's dirty outside,dogs come back in the house dirty and the floors get,well,dirty!I said it before and i'll say it again;some people suck.
Old April 13th, 2006, 08:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Every time I read this sort of thing I want to go hug my puppy. How can people be so calloused? And I think they want to beleive that the "rescue people" are going to pick up their dog and take it straight to a loving home where it gets love and treats 24 hours a day. That's how they're able to sleep at night. They make themselves believe that there are hundreds of homes vying for elderly, diabetic, incontinent dogs.

Quote:
They just want someone else to do their dirty work so they can keep their hands clean.
My heart just breaks for these poor confused animals. :sad:
Old April 13th, 2006, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy
and she said;it's dirty outside,dogs come back in the house dirty and the floors get,well,dirty!
This comment made my stomach turn I don't want to meet anyone who feels clean floors should take priority over their pet.

Seriously, how hard is it to set-up a baby gate and keep the dog confined to an entryway/mudroom etc. until their feet are dry and clean?

I mean come on it's just dirt!

UGH, people do suck.
Old April 13th, 2006, 09:18 PM
Senior Contributor

What about the two declawed cats cpietra is so kindly fostering? They were going to DIE because their fur showed up too much on the new sofa...oh, but their owner just LOVED them soooooo much!!
Old April 13th, 2006, 09:42 PM
Senior Contributor

Rescue work just sounds so frustrating. You all must have so much patience and devotion as well as passion to put up with so many dumbasses.

Meowy Meowers - Angus n' Finn - 5 yrs old
Barky Barker - Skylar - 4 yrs old??
Old April 13th, 2006, 10:01 PM
Adopt a senior dog!!

My personal fave is when people want to dump a pair of unneutered/unspayed, unvaccinated dogs with ear infections on you but freak out when you ask for a small donation to help cover the cost of treating, spaying, neutering, vaccinating them because your adoption fee rarel covers the vet bills, food bills etc - all the while with their ghetto wife yelling in the backround over the phone "I paid $%&%&*# $900 for those two dogs and I'm not paying anything more! You're %$^&*$# lucky to be getting them for free!"
And then the day after we pick up the dogs I get a message on my phone from the same woman yelling on the phone, the same woman who couldn't be bothered to get up off the couch when our volunteer went by to get the dogs... now a snivelling, crying, blubbering fool asking how her babies are doing because she knows they were getting operated that day.
BoxerRescueQuebec.com
Old April 13th, 2006, 10:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerRescueMTL
My personal fave is when people want to dump a pair of unneutered/unspayed, unvaccinated dogs with ear infections on you but freak out when you ask for a small donation to help cover the cost of treating, spaying, neutering, vaccinating them because your adoption fee rarel covers the vet bills, food bills etc - all the while with their ghetto wife yelling in the backround over the phone "I paid $%&%&*# $900 for those two dogs and I'm not paying anything more! You're %$^&*$# lucky to be getting them for free!"
And then the day after we pick up the dogs I get a message on my phone from the same woman yelling on the phone, the same woman who couldn't be bothered to get up off the couch when our volunteer went by to get the dogs... now a snivelling, crying, blubbering fool asking how her babies are doing because she knows they were getting operated that day.
haha! for once I know who you're talking about!!
This same woman said 'whoever is getting these guys is really !@#$$% lucky, because their trained' Yeah...trained....sure....

People suck.

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."
Old April 13th, 2006, 11:07 PM

Frustration? Boy do I know that feeling.

I picked up a Westie from a miller that calls herself a top breeder.
As I was looking at this poor westie this "person?" said I hope she is given lots of love, she is my favorite breeder, she was a great show dog.
I just love her and want a very good home for her.

I was trying so hard not to gag from this poor Westies smell, her skin was raw, no hair on her back and as I later let her out to go potty before I got her to the vets I saw she was dripping blood.
Yes I know how people can be, how they can say I love this dog and yet it's so sick it can't stand.
I keep telling myself someday, someday.
But on a happy note this Westie is beautiful now, the most beautiful hair, it's soft and if you let it grow a bit long it lays in waves.
She has a back yard and a Westie playmate to play with.
Yes sometimes we wonder why we are doing this, why we fight to save a sick one that we know may not make it, we know we must not look or say anything that a puppy miller might not like, because if we do, we may not be able to save another one.
Then we see one that was so sick the vet says, not sure this one will make it, then later you see that same dog running and playing with what looks like a smile on it's face.
And you know tomorrow you will do it all over again.
SeaLady
Old April 14th, 2006, 08:25 AM
-

Sealady;you're right.It's when you see those dogs,still alive and kicking and find them a wonderfull new family,you can't wait to do it all over again.I'm lucky,I didn't get any sick dogs yet.But I did picked up dogs that were about to be euthanize,even more,I kept one of these guys.He is such a great dog,everytime I look at him,I can't believe he could be dead today if I didn't get that message from another rescue to pick him up.
Old April 14th, 2006, 08:27 AM
Senior Contributor

Sealady,great post...:love:
Although I am not rescuing anything,I can certainly understand the feeling saving just one little precious life from a life of misery,every little heart ticking is important:love:
Old April 14th, 2006, 08:37 AM
PeachesnSimon'sMamma

Amen SeaLady, amen

~Those who KNOW better are responsible to TEACH better~

Jenn, Simon and Peaches
12/14/03
Old April 14th, 2006, 10:29 AM
Senior Contributor

you guys are awesome --- you know that??

Sea lady -- that was beautifully put...don't stop doing the wonderfull work you do

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."
Old April 14th, 2006, 11:00 AM

Thanks all for reminding me that we DO have lots of people who care (and who clean up after the other folk). Thanks for all that you rescuers do. I hope sometime I can help (but not after our puppies are "all growed up"...I'd really like to help with a boxer rescue some day.
Old April 14th, 2006, 11:11 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Gawd, that sounds so familiar. I hope you informed her that how they doing is none of her business and hung up!

Someone dumping a cat for stupid reasons, then asking for the tel# of the adopter so she could visit and "Make sure her kitty is being treated right"...uhhh...NO!

I'm sure everyone here knows, but when taking people's pets, make sure you use a surrender form or you could end up having someone wanting their pet back after it's been s/n, dewormed, treated for any illness etc.
Old April 14th, 2006, 11:18 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Rescue
I'm sure everyone here knows, but when taking people's pets, make sure you use a surrender form or you could end up having someone wanting their pet back after it's been s/n, dewormed, treated for any illness etc.
Yup! Lucky is right. Pets are 'an object' according to the law, so ther has to be a legal change of ownership.
Although if someone wanted their pet back (if you didn't have a surrender agreement) after spay/neuter...you could always sue for the reimbursement of your expenses...

Old April 14th, 2006, 11:49 AM

Thumbs up angels in disguise

I just wanted to say my heart is breaking right now seeing some of the things animals have to go through because of stupid humans. Animals are like children if you are not willing to take care of them don't take them! I don't care if I lived in a box on the side of the road my two cats would be with me! I would never give them up I don't care what they did! They are so innocent in the whole situation. I just want all the people that take care of these animals they are angels in disguise! Thank you, Thank you , Thank you from all the animals you have helped and will help in the future! You are the greatest and God is smiling at you!