Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old August 26th, 2008, 02:02 PM
Compromised account

Sparky's food - your opinions!!

Hi,
So as some of you know, we got our new baby. He came with a whole bunch of stuff, and of course his food.
The food they were giving him is Royal Canin Mini Puppy 33.
the contents are as follows:

chicken meal, brown rice, chicken, corn gluten meal, chicken fat, brewers rice, dried egg powder, natural chicken flavour, dried beet pulp(sugar removed), anchovy oil, brewer's yeast, potassium chloride.....theres a whole bunch of vitamins, B12, B6, B1, folic acid, blah blah blah (too lazy to list it all..)

I am a little confused when it comes to foods , so I would truly appreciate if you could tell me what you think about this food, have you had experience with it...
Should I be switching? There is about 2 thirds of the small bag left, so now would be the time to introduce new food. I am a big believer in preventative measures, especially with pups.
Please keep in mind that Sparky is a small breed, a mix of Maltese and Pomeranian.
Thank you in advance!!
Old August 26th, 2008, 02:10 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennieV View Post
Hi,
So as some of you know, we got our new baby. He came with a whole bunch of stuff, and of course his food.
The food they were giving him is Royal Canin Mini Puppy 33.
the contents are as follows:

chicken meal, brown rice, chicken, corn gluten meal, chicken fat, brewers rice, dried egg powder, natural chicken flavour, dried beet pulp(sugar removed), anchovy oil, brewer's yeast, potassium chloride.....theres a whole bunch of vitamins, B12, B6, B1, folic acid, blah blah blah (too lazy to list it all..)

I am a little confused when it comes to foods , so I would truly appreciate if you could tell me what you think about this food, have you had experience with it...
Should I be switching? There is about 2 thirds of the small bag left, so now would be the time to introduce new food. I am a big believer in preventative measures, especially with pups.
Please keep in mind that Sparky is a small breed, a mix of Maltese and Pomeranian.
Thank you in advance!!

I've had all kinds of advice from here, someone knowledgeable will be on to give you excellent information.

Last edited by Ford; September 11th, 2008 at 09:52 PM.
Old August 26th, 2008, 02:12 PM
Molly's mama

Jennie, good for you for taking an interest in your dog's nutritional health. You are a step ahead of most dog owners.
This is a really good dog food website that I found. Here is the link to what they have to say about Royal Canin Mini Puppy 33
http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_f...uct=1530&cat=5
it gives it a 3 star rating. I would recommend switching foods. Wellness and Solid Gold are both dependable brands IMHO.

That website (Dog Food Analysis) has reviews of pretty much all dog foods and tells you Pros and Cons of each, and also gives them a star rating (1 star being worst and 6 star being best)
good luck!
Old August 26th, 2008, 02:19 PM
Geek Club CEO

We've got all our dogs including our 12 week old puppy, and our cats on Orijen.
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)

Last edited by Ford; September 11th, 2008 at 09:53 PM.
Old August 26th, 2008, 02:28 PM
Compromised account

Thanks so much! thats what I was looking to hear, I knew it couldn't be good, but since he just came into our home I felt that a drastic change would have been very difficult. I will be switching, just needed more information.

Any more responses will be VERY appreciated! I know that there is a gold mine of information here , so I am really thankful!
Old August 26th, 2008, 02:36 PM
Molly's mama

glad to be of help!
just make sure when you do switch, make it gradual. Otherwise it could upset his little tummy!
Old August 26th, 2008, 08:41 PM

heres the honest truth.
Royal canin (breed specific foods and so on) are mediocre foods.. they dont have the greatest ingredients, however the breed specific foods have certain ingredients that certain breeds are looking for.
If you were to find a brand that made breed specific food with human grade ingredients that would be perfect.
Personally, I feed my friend Blue buffalo wilderness.. he has tons of energy and loves it.

As far as dogfoodanalysis.com goes, they do not rate all of the kinds of food.
Depending on the $ you want to spend, there are many high quality brands available.
Check out sites such as k9cuisine.com.. depending on needs you can find foods with main proteins available from chicken to beef to possum to kangaroo.
Keep your options open.