Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old August 17th, 2009, 09:16 PM

Tape worms and Advantage Multi

Hi,

My dog appears to have tape worms when I brought him in to the vet and they looked at the stool sample and they told me the worms they could see were nothing to worry about and that Advantage Multi would take care of it.

It has been 3 weeks now and I still see worms crawling around his bum and regularily in his stool (especially in the mornings). I don't really want to bring him on to the vet again and pay another $100.00 to be advised that it is OK and Advantage will take care of it (and have a crazy customer note on my file). I am pretty certain that I am seeing tape worm segments and not any other form of worm. From my research, on Advantage multi, it can help to prevent tape worms by stopping flea infestations - but it appears to not kill tape worms which seem to have the lifespan of years.....

Can I deworm my dog while he is on advantage multi? Or is he OK and I just need to wait it out?

Thanks!
Adrea
Old August 17th, 2009, 09:20 PM
Doggie Wench

You're correct, Advantage doesn't treat tapeworm. Ask your vet to give you some Drontal Plus (you shouldn't have to bring your dog in again if the vet has already confirmed it's tapeworm...it'll save you another consultation fee). Drontal is usually administered one day...then repeated for one day two weeks later. Please do not give your dog anything you can find at a pet store...it can be harmful.
Old August 17th, 2009, 09:23 PM

Thanks! I will call my vet tomorrow! Do you know if drontal should be OK while he is on Advantage?

Adrea
Old August 17th, 2009, 09:36 PM
Doggie Wench

It should be fine, Adrea. One of my dogs and several of our fosters have been vet-prescribed Drontal while they were on Advantage and/or Revolution without any ill-effects. I was told they don't interfere with each other. If in doubt, just ask your vet.

Btw, stick around and feel free to post in the introduction forum. Pictures of your pooch are most welcome . Welcome to pets.ca Adrea .