Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old March 19th, 2009, 06:14 PM

Chewing and allergies!

Hi everyone

I have a good question for you all. What can i do??? Georges, my almost 9 months old english bulldog, likes to chew alot. We used to give him leather bones that he enjoyed but since he has food allergies we stopped giving him those. Now, he chews on everything, from shoes to wood chairs (he's on is way to kill a second one!) but not on the rubber toys he suppose to! He never touch his kong. I give him some water soak hand towel that i freeze but that keeps him occupy like 5 min. Now, i don't know what to do... We can't always be watching him and he spend enough time in his crate while we're at work that we don't want to crate him when we're home. I wish he wouldnt chew furniture, that way we could let him out of his crate during the day. Nothing had work so far, the yucky spray, the Tabasco or correcting him. I'm getting a but frustrated here...
Old March 19th, 2009, 06:24 PM
Half Way To Crazy

is he allergic to begals??

you could freeze them and try that.
Old March 19th, 2009, 06:29 PM

well we don't know what he's allergic too... For the next 3 weeks at least, he's only on Orijen 6 fish... then if he has stopped hitching, we'll try giving him new food once at the time and see how he's doing... It's complicated to get tests allergy around here and he can't have them for some time anyway...
Old March 19th, 2009, 06:32 PM
Half Way To Crazy

there is also these.

http://www.westpawdesign.com/products/321-hurley

http://www.westpawdesign.com/product...oducts/348-tux

http://www.westpawdesign.com/product...ducts/322-huck

my dogs won't chew the kongs but they go cray for these. the tux you can fill up with goodies and freeze them
Old March 19th, 2009, 08:36 PM

In the meantime until you figure out the food thing, I would up the amount of exercise he's getting, and get him out to play with other dogs more, it might help him be less bored during the day. Do you have access to any doggy daycares? It might help to put him in daycare once or twice a week as well.
Old March 19th, 2009, 11:30 PM

Has the vet taken a good look at his teeth to rule out any dental issues that could cause the excess chewing?

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old March 20th, 2009, 07:44 AM

Thanks for the links but Georges doesnt like anything rubber! We have 3 like new toys to prove it!

We get him out to play with us. We arent close to any dog park and i'm not sure we have doggy day care in the city... We can't walk him much
at the moment cuz there's water for the melted snow around the side walk and well city bus like to shower us with it

The vet didnt look at his teeth but i don't think it's a teeth problem... i know it's boredom most of the time... :sad:

Last night, we bought him a nylabone which he seems to love!
Old March 20th, 2009, 08:30 AM

Hehe wear a rainjacket?? If you're in Quebec city, I'm sure there has to be a doggy daycare somewhere nearby, and in most big cities, there are a ton of off leash areas. Ste-Foy Park is off leash that I could find doing a quick search, I'm sure there are others as well.

You can do other things inside as well to work the brain a bit, like playing hide and seek! Put him in a sit-stay, or if he can't hold the sit stay, get someone else to help you and stay with him. Then, go hide. To release him from the sit-stay, say, "Georges, come FIND ME!". Encourage him a bit if he gets off track by calling him again, until he finds you. Then, praise him like crazy when he does. It doesn't take them long to catch on. If you don't have someone else there to help you out, take his favorite toy, knotted ropes are good for chewing on as long as you're there to supervise, so since they carry a lot of smell, they are great for beginner hide and seek. Again, sit-stay, or close him up in one room or his crate, hide the toy, and tell him to find it, emphasizing the name of the toy. Like go find your BALL, go find your ROPE. It's tons of fun, and it actually helped my dog learn how to sit stay better as well, so mulitple benefits.
Old March 20th, 2009, 06:18 PM

Raincoat It's still icy cold here... and poor Georges doesnt like to wear clothes... he tries getting them off by backing up It took him for a walk today cuz all the water was ice...

Quebec is a big city but not that big... Ste-Foy is too far for us to go... there's a doggy park that isnt too far but now he's close cuz of all the snow and i would have to take the car, Georges doesnt walk that far... 2 blocks and he wants to go home... He like to play but after 10 min he's done and go sleep... Doggy day care i havent seen... and we're not out to work long enough really... My boyfriend leaves around 10:30 in the morning, lately 1:30 pm, when he leaves early we have someone that take Georges out around 2pm and i'm back at 4:15. So for now on i'll try to walk him more.

The hide and seek thing is a good idea. I must find a way to try it without Georges breaking everthing... He's the clumsiest

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiIs6RDk9AM
Old March 21st, 2009, 06:43 PM

Cute video! He's like a mini tank, it's awesome! Great that you got the nylabone, they are really good toys for dogs, and can keep their brains pretty busy that's for sure. Something you might want to try on walks is to make things more exciting for him. That could be why he wants to cop out after ten minutes. Or, take him out for 10 min walks, but do a few of them every day. So by more exciting, maybe go to different places, take different routes, pick up the pace and run for a bit, that sort of thing. And then maybe on the weekend when you have more time, take a drive out to the off leash park and let him play with a bunch of dogs for a while!
Old March 22nd, 2009, 07:04 AM

he's not bored, he's just lazy. He's happy to go walk trust me! He's just not a high energy level dog... except when he got the zoomies and run everywhere
Old March 24th, 2009, 04:39 PM
Senior Contributor

He's too cute! I can see with his little legs why he prefers a short walk.