Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old May 21st, 2006, 12:42 AM
Performance Spaniels

Pet Pager?

I was wondering if anyone had ever used one?
I dislike the idea of shock collars.. but liked that these vibrate instead.. and liked the description I found on one site when I was just randomly looking around..

"The Pet Pager was designed to help pet owners silently call their dog from a distance. Excellent for deaf dogs. Just like the Sport Dog Trainer’s but uses vibration instead of electronic stimulation. It has a range of 100 Yards.
It can also be used to dissuade or interrupt negative behavior. It works similarly to a personal pager. The pet owner uses a hand held transmitter to send a signal to their pet. The pet wears a receiver collar that vibrates when it receives the signal."
http://www.petstreetmall.com/No-Bark-Collars/3781/527/

It sounded like Cider.. But I know it's gimmicky, and requires training and is not a fail safe. Just wondering if anyone had had any experience good or bad with anything like it? And the fact it serves one function, to get the dog's attention and hopefully have it come, rather than people using shock collars as a training tool to teach almost anything.

Teaching normal stuff has never been a problem.. I think I'd die if we excercised anymore (but lord I sure will have a hot body by ski season..) lol. So things are much much better.. Just she does get distracted especially at a distance..

Thoughts?
Old May 21st, 2006, 10:02 AM

? I know someone who uses one. They have a hound that is very guided by his nose... it works for them (seems to interrupt his smellovision!)

But I don't know how I personally feel about them. She put it on herself to feel it and says it doesn't hurt... but it must be a bit weird.
Old May 21st, 2006, 02:08 PM

I used to want a sort of clapper for Boo... Like those old things they used to have on tv to find your keys?

"Where's Boo?"
*clap, clap*
BEEP BEEP BEEP
"Oh there he is. Ok then."
Old May 21st, 2006, 02:26 PM
Performance Spaniels

LMAO @ Prin, thanks hun, very helpful.

I know people who've put on shock collars and say they are harmless.. I like the idea of a collar that vibrates liek my cell phone.. A little odd for the dog I'm sure.. but I'm far happier with it being non pain.

Cider get sniffy or chasey and runs off.. and with training on 30ft of leash and lots of excercise is helping.. It would be nice to have that little extra so I didn't worry as much. She isn't horrible off leash, but it isn't something I like to do daily even in out of the way safe spots..

But I'm not sure I want an 80USD toy either..

Since my 80USD agility tunnel is sitting in a UPS truck in Windsor.. lol.
Old May 21st, 2006, 03:07 PM

With Boo in the beginning, we gave him a treat every time he came. It was sort of an incentive to always come (he's fairly food-oriented). Sometimes still, if we're going to a high distraction place, we'll bring the cookies and show him we have them. It just keeps his attention better at crucial times, but usually now we don't need them at all (we phased them out).
Old May 21st, 2006, 03:23 PM
Performance Spaniels

I wish. When turing in my walking tools and teaching this month to walk on a loose leash finally.. no treats were better than sniffing the grass. Not hotdog pieces (they were good for half a block) not nasty sardine chunks.. nothing.

Sniffing and being distracted is better than the most high value food I can come up with.. so to loose leash walk it was all praise, and moving her back to where I wanted her to walk, and reigning in the leash some.

So 30ft away and a distraction, food sure isn't going to do it. When not distracted I can call her in easily, but that's not when I worry, so it's useless. I try to not go offleash much, but I know she doesn't zip around enough with me connected to her, so it's a pro/ con issue.

But I don't really want another high proced toy that may not work either.. we need to work more, just *sigh*
Old May 21st, 2006, 05:35 PM
Long Term Member

hmm... I've never heard of it... lol
That might actually be a good idea... But I doubt it would ever work on Shyla... maybe after a whole ton of training... but it would totally freak the poor girl out...
My cockatiel Jayson- 3months
Hailey- My cockatiel-2 years :love: