Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Kitten health

Old August 2nd, 2010, 03:39 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

Exclamation Cat experts I need your advice/ knowledge

Hi everyone, after a very busy long weekend we were on our way to pick up some of our toys at the lake (boat and stuff) on the road there we almost ran over a very wee little kitten so we swerved a bit and stopped to pick it up, considering we were having a horrible downpour at the time.
Guy ran out of the truck and scooped up the wee kitten and we quickly unpacked some towels and started drying him/her off.
Once it stopped shivering all bundled up on my lap in the truck I noticed it was having a bit of a hard time breathing. He (or she) has a runny nose and goopy eyes a bit and sounds a bit congested. Its resting in a warm dry crate in the spare room right now away from our cats as I am thinking its an URI I am calling the vet and taking the kitten in to work with me tomorrow so we can get a quick vet check done as soon as possible. No need to recommend a vet visit, I'm on it
I was just wondering though, what I could do to help make the kitten more comfortable for the night. I have the windows closed in the room so there is no drafts and am thinking of putting the humidifier in there for it (but want to check here first if this would be of any help or make things worse)
It isnt very interested in eating either and I wouldnt think its over 6 weeks old, but there is some cat food in the crate with it and a small dish of water, should I soak a few of the kibbles for the kitten to make it easier to eat?
And what precautions should I take with Floyd and Mia, I have them in a room in the basement right now (keeping them off the main floor incase it is an URI as I am not sure how contagious it is)
Any tips would be helpful either here or as a PM
Thanks everyone.

And there will be pics to come I promise cause its the cutest little thing in the world

Last edited by erykah1310; August 2nd, 2010 at 03:49 PM.
Old August 2nd, 2010, 03:57 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Another kitten knowing when to run out onto the highway. Thanks for stopping and rescuing this wee soul

I wouldn't soak the kibble, it actually will allow more bacteria to multiply. If you have some sardines or stinky cat food that may be better.

If you do have a humidifier that may help keep his passages clear.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old August 2nd, 2010, 04:02 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I've got no kitty advice, erykah, but I'm for sure looking forward to the pics. He was a lucky little kitten being there when you and Guy were coming through!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 2nd, 2010, 04:13 PM
Senior Contributor

Erykah,I have no experience with URI,but I know 14+kittens and mama-cat had similar problem,I'll Pm her and see if she can help you.
Thank's to you and hubs for rescuing the little one
Old August 2nd, 2010, 04:14 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

It is bizarre that kittens seem to know what vehicles we have and when to stand on the road, but this little one almost was too close to the truck for the amount of rain that was coming down.
But I dont want to think about what "could" have happened to the wee thing
Good to know about wetting the food, I'll see what we can dig up, maybe a bit of the raw chicken Floyd eats would be better.
Old August 2nd, 2010, 04:18 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

thanks Chico2,
As important it is for this little one to feel better soon and get checked out ASAP, I am very concerned about my cats getting ill as well. I hope the "quarantine" will help keep them safe if it is an URI
Old August 2nd, 2010, 04:24 PM
Senior Contributor

I understand that,I would worry about my cats too.
As long as you keep the kitten isolated they should be ok,I think.

The reason he's not eating,kitties rely on their noses to check out food and if his little nose is stuffed,he won't eat.
Maybe you could try a syringe with some very diluted(with water) food.
Old August 2nd, 2010, 05:01 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

Here's a couple pics of the wee guy (its a he, I finally checked)

You can see his ears are full of mites as well in some of the pics, I did a quick clean of them to relieve some of the itching for tonight

He is skin and bones right now, hopefully a good worming and some meds for his "cold" or what ever he has and he will look better soon
Old August 2nd, 2010, 05:40 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Awwwwwww what a wee sweetie pie

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old August 2nd, 2010, 07:18 PM
Senior Contributor

Aww, what a sweet little guy. He's so lucky you found him. I hope you're able to get him well soon.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old August 2nd, 2010, 07:52 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

If he's going to the vets tomorrow the best you can do for him tonight is to try to get him to eat something. Great advice on the humidifier. Even better is if you could take him into a small bathroom and turn on the shower hot to steam up the room. That may open his air passages enough to let him breathe. Stay in the bathroom with him of course. Let the room steam up and stay in for a few minutes. See if it helps any. You can wrap him in a blanket or towel to keep him from catching a further chill.
If he isn't eating the food you put in for him it's probably because he doesn't recognize it as food. It sounds like it's hard food, not canned? He looks like he is around two months. Cute little gaffer. If you don't have canned food available then the best you can do is tuna, sardines or salmon. The raw chicken may do the trick too.
Does you have any L-lysine there? If you do try to add a small amount (1/4 tsp) to whatever food you get him to eat.
What are the chances he's feral? With the ear mites and possible fleas (scratching in the one pic) I think he possibly could be. Thanks for stopping for him.

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body...spiratory.html

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old August 2nd, 2010, 08:16 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

I did manage to get him to eat, he definately was hungry but just didnt know there was food around. I put a bit in his mouth for him and he went nuts for it.
I dont know if he's feral, he's super cuddly and has NO fear of Kita what so ever.
First thing I did was a thorough flea check because I have a serious paranoia about getting fleas in the house and he seems to be clear of them (fingers crossed) his ears really bother him a lot though, he walks a little off balance and shakes his head a lot and goes to town scratching at them.
We set up the humidifier for him and he doesnt seem to be wheezing as bad and is sound asleep right now and even used his little litter box in the giant dog crate, I havent seen him drink yet so I put a little droplet of water on his paw and he licked it off almost immediately so I feel a bit better he had a little something, i will go do it again before bed and get up part way through the night and repeat again.
I just hope I can get him in first thing in the morning. I would have to do a drop off and board for the day but he needs medical attention with out a doubt.

Considering Guy was Mr. anti cat way back in the day he is very concerned about this guy and went hunting for our cat carrier and towels to travel with tomorrow. By the way Guy is talking it looks like we are now a 4 cat household again
Old August 2nd, 2010, 08:49 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Oh, he is a sweetie, that's for sure! Look at that little tyke!!! for good health!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 3rd, 2010, 07:45 AM
Senior Contributor

Thank's for responding 14+
Erykah,he is adorable,a little tabby-boy,just like my Rocky

It's funny with men and cats,it's ok to say you love or at least like them,especially a little kitten,Guy is smitten for sure

Earmites are quiet easily cured,I had a kitten once with lots of earmites.

The little one will be ok,now when he will have a great home

Several of our members have found kittens,they are the lucky ones,there must be thousands out there not so lucky
Old August 3rd, 2010, 02:48 PM

good advice so far

Aww he's adorable. The dehumidifier was a great idea, same with the steamy shower. Quick and easy for cat cold (or human cold) is to make a cup of tea and let the kitten "sniff" the steamy vapors. That will unplug him right away. I'm glad the hubby and other cats have already taken to the kitten...barring anything seriously wrong with the lil guy it makes it that much easier to integrate him into your household
Old August 3rd, 2010, 06:44 PM
Floppy Dog

For the stuffy nose, you could try a bulb asperator. If any of your neighbours have young children, they might even have one. Is a rubber bulb about 2/3's as big as the bulb on a turkey baster with a removable plastic nozel at the end. You compress the bulb in your fist, place the nozel gently against a nostril and let go the pressure on the bulb. The suction clears away the snot and mucus. I used this method very successfully on my daughter when she was a baby and I would have used it on my cats, if they had ever needed it. It may not work with this little guy because he doesn't know/trust you yet, but if you think he'll sit still for it, its worth a try.

I try to greet the world like my pets do...boundless enthusiasm, intense curiosity and no concept of yesterday and tomorrow.
Old August 3rd, 2010, 08:27 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

UPDATE:
He is now on a smorgasboard of medications for various things but he is expected to make a full recovery.
He does have an URI and it may spread to the other cats but we just have to keep an eye on them. Not like I'm going to move him outside and make him fend for himself.
He has various problems beside his URI, he is severely underweight (almost has zero body fat) has worms, fleas, mites, ticks so is going to be going on revolution as soon as his fever drops, he has to go back in on Friday and we will be starting his revolution then.
He has a lot of mucus build up in his nose and eyes and does tend to choke on it from time to time if he starts to purr. His penecillin should help him with that in the next couple days.
All in all he is doing OK for now but the vet had no doubt that he would make a full recovery now that he is warm and dry and getting all the medications he will need for a bit.
I hope his temperature comes down by friday to get the parasites taken care of. He doesnt have a lot of fleas and there was only one tick that was found so its really going to be all about breaking the flea cycle.
he has a pretty demanding feeding scheduele for the next while, he needs to have wet food put in his mouth so he knows what it is several times a day but not in excess as his little stomach can not handle much. Looks like I have a tag along for work for the next few days. He did well in the cat carrier today but I will go pick him up a small dog crate so I can fit a litter box in it until I can find someone who will baby sit him through the day for me.
So, theres his update.
Now its time to find him a name
Old August 3rd, 2010, 08:32 PM

He looks like a "Tiddles" to me.

Last edited by Ozzie; August 3rd, 2010 at 08:32 PM. Reason: speeling
Old August 3rd, 2010, 09:00 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Sure is a good thing he found you when he did! Poor little guy was a mess!!!

Do you think his temp is up from the URI? Or is it possible he caught something from the tick?

Speedy recovery, lil guy! You're in good hands now!

Old August 3rd, 2010, 09:04 PM
-

Good luck with him Erykah , now that he has a roof on his head , food , care and love , I'm sure he'll get better in no time.

thanks for taking him in !
Old August 4th, 2010, 03:24 AM

Aww he is adorable love the big ears

What is the name of the lake you were going to? Maybe there's something there to work off of?

Looking at that first pic of him & the only name sticking in my head is Chester

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old August 4th, 2010, 05:00 AM
Blue eyed funny farm

We were on our way out to Deer Lake and found him on Nippissing road
Old August 4th, 2010, 08:23 AM
Senior Contributor

Erykah,I was a little nervous opening your thread,afraid there would be bad news.
"Nippi"is what I would call him
I am very happy he's in your capable hands,does he give you a problem with pilling him?
I give Rocky pills 3 times/day,mashed up in a soupspoon with canned food.

I know this little guy will grow up to be thebest kitty you have,forever grateful for you and Guy saving his life
I know,between work,horses,dogs,cats and whatever else you have,you are a very busy girl,but please try to keep us updated
Old August 4th, 2010, 05:43 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

There is no way this little guy is a feral, he is far too affectionate and loving, not a fear in him. Now that he is moving around more I cant help but notice that he is currently quite the "ugly" little thing lol, but in such a way that he is cute. hard to explain, I will try to get a video of him moving around, pictures dont show his "not so nice" features or give you any idea of how terribly skinny he is.
As for his pills, I crush it and mix it in his wee little meals, he really doesnt care as long as there is something going in his belly.
A real little trooper thats for sure ( and no way on that for a name, its my SIL's horses name)
His eyes are clearing up well today, and he is a bit congested sounding still today but only when he tries to purr (which is pretty frequently)
he rocks at using his litter box but had a bit of a mis hap a little while ago with his water dish. He fell in it then ran to his litter box so now he has litter stuck all over him lol
Old August 4th, 2010, 05:44 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

Oh yeah, and now Guy is taking that road home each night with the guy that works with him, he figures there are more around there and just wants to keep an eye out. So far nothing else
Old August 5th, 2010, 07:33 AM
Senior Contributor

Erykah,I can just picture that little guy falling in to the waterdish
So glad he's eating,peeing and pooping normally
He looks really young,but maybe it's because he's so skinny.
He might just have been born to a barncat and went out exploring,got lost and found a wonderful home
Old August 10th, 2010, 09:49 PM

Does the little guy have a name yet or can I still call him Chester?

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying