Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old July 28th, 2008, 08:23 AM
Molly's mama

Does anyone here knit???

does anyone here knit? Or crochet? I have been knitting on and off for years- always seem to pick up a project, go nuts with it, then put it down for a few months. My latest project is a sweater for Molly!
This is the free pattern (Lion Brand) but you need to "join" the website to view it.
here's the picture of what it should look like. Except I am using tan and black yarn, so it almost looks like animal print!! Haha!
Old July 28th, 2008, 09:30 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

I used to crochet. My mom knit constantly. I can remember her knitting in the dark if the hydro went off. You could still hear the click click of the needles. In fact, for about 6 years or so that's how Mom made her living. She knit for other people. A sweater a day. Mom tried teaching me how to knit years ago but because I am left handed and she was right it was difficult. What a wonderful memory of my mom.
I can do the basic stitches in knitting. I haven't crotcheted in years. I keep thinking I should get back to it. Maybe that would be a good project to start with. Thanks mollywog!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old July 28th, 2008, 10:58 AM
Molly's mama

wow, your mom must be fast with those needles! I will be happy if I can knit a sweater over the course of a YEAR!
yeah, you should try this pattern, its very easy- all in garter stitch (no purling required) and you just knit 2 pieces then sew them together. And there are different variations from size small to XLarge. I am knitting a Medium for Molly. I just hope it fits ok!
I haven't knit in months and I actually forgot how to bind off! But there are tons of online video tutorials to get you back on track.
Old July 28th, 2008, 11:37 AM
-

Once you're done with the first sweater , can you do one more for a Great dane ?

Just kidding , about you making one I mean because Nelly does have a winter coat
Old July 28th, 2008, 12:15 PM
Molly's mama

haha Frenchy maybe I could get a side business going.....
Old July 28th, 2008, 12:18 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollywog View Post
haha Frenchy maybe I could get a side business going.....
If all your costumers are great danes , if should be easy $$$$$$
Old July 28th, 2008, 12:20 PM
banned user

that sweater is too cute, hmmmm you probably could sell a bunch of them.
Old July 28th, 2008, 01:46 PM
~Cat Servent~

Yep... my grandma taught me... but I go so long between picking up the needles, I use a book to kick start myself again.... oh and I've been working on this scarf for about 12 years now.... it's about 8 inches long!!!!

That looks like one cute doggy sweater!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old July 28th, 2008, 02:19 PM
Papa D

i'll take three.....small medium and a large......any chance they can be ready by october
Beathoven 7 year old mutt
Maggie 5 year jack russell
Felix 15 year tabby
Ozzie 12 year tabby
Tigger 10 year long hair cat
marley just a pup
sasha grand pup___________________________________________________________
Lettin the cat outta the bag is a whole lot easier than puttin it back in.

Most of the stuff people worry about ain't gonna happen anyway.
Old July 28th, 2008, 02:19 PM
Owned by goldens

Does anyone here knit???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
Once you're done with the first sweater , can you do one more for a Great dane ?

Just kidding , about you making one I mean because Nelly does have a winter coat
I have one for her. I made it when I thought I may be going to foster a Great Dane. I thought you had one. I will arrange to get it to you once I am back at work at the end of August. It is sitting in my office right now and the school is closed.
Old July 28th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Molly's mama

let's wait and see what the finished product looks like... this one is just a "prototype"
I will post pictures once it's done and then maybe start taking orders!!!
Old July 28th, 2008, 04:42 PM

Thank-you so much for the pattern. I'm going to give it a try. My 2 have polar fleece jackets I sewed but I also do jackets for the SPCA. The knit or crocheted ones are great cause there is no velcro to scratch tender tummies.

Right now I'm crocheting an afghan. It's cream, beige and navy, done in stripes of various widths and any old stitch. If it turns out, I'll post a pic.

Thanks again!
Old July 28th, 2008, 06:25 PM

Funny you should ask, I do both but haven't picked up yarn in years. Then two weeks ago the bug gets me and suddenly in the middle of summer I'm crocheting an afghan.

We have coats for the iggys and the mutt doesn't want one, but I think they'd love sweaters too. Think that pattern would work for an Italian greyhound?
Old August 17th, 2008, 02:24 PM

Mollywog, I knitted the smallest size and it turned out to be very easy and cute. I showed it to a friend of mine and it looked so cute on her dog so I gave it to her. Now I have to get more yarn and knit some for the shelter dogs. It's hot as heck here but in a few months the dogs will need a sweater. Thanks again for the pattern.
Old August 17th, 2008, 02:35 PM
We're a dog's best friend

Red face cool & cute!!

i have knitted loadza times before, but i have never tried making something other than a blanket or a scarf.

maybe i should broaden my horizens and try making a dog coat. ha ha (im not [I]quite[I] as skilled as i can imagine you are mollywog.

soter

I do!!
Old August 17th, 2008, 09:49 PM
Swift Tribe

i crochet a little... or rather a lot but not very well. ive made several scarfs, a bunch of wash cloths (practicing finishing off and corners in rounds... that kind of thing) and a few hand towels and 2 baby blankets. the first one was horrible (but Jeffrey loves it) and the second was perfect (and Bryce loves it). right now im working out the details for a small practice simple granny square.... well, blanket-whatever-thing for a friend so i can make a granny square blanket for Cailyn. im excited!!

-ash

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Cailyn- Daughter, 07/05/99
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Mister- Black LabX, M, 08/06(?)
The Shadow Stalker- Gray Tux DSH, M, 04/04
The Mighty Hunter- Black Tux DSH, M, 04/04
Baby Girl- Tabby DMH, F, 12/03(?)
Frances- Tortie, DSH, F, 2007(?)
Old August 18th, 2008, 10:04 AM
Molly's mama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soter View Post
i have knitted loadza times before, but i have never tried making something other than a blanket or a scarf.

maybe i should broaden my horizens and try making a dog coat. ha ha (im not quite as skilled as i can imagine you are mollywog.

soter
Soter- it's a really easy pattern, all you need to know is how to knit, and decrease. you should give it a try!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogansma View Post
Mollywog, I knitted the smallest size and it turned out to be very easy and cute. I showed it to a friend of mine and it looked so cute on her dog so I gave it to her. Now I have to get more yarn and knit some for the shelter dogs. It's hot as heck here but in a few months the dogs will need a sweater. Thanks again for the pattern.
You're welcome!!! I'm glad it worked for you.... the first one I knit was way too tight around the neck, so I had to alter some of the pattern and start again... almost done now, just have to stitch it up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folkwitch View Post
Funny you should ask, I do both but haven't picked up yarn in years. Then two weeks ago the bug gets me and suddenly in the middle of summer I'm crocheting an afghan.

We have coats for the iggys and the mutt doesn't want one, but I think they'd love sweaters too. Think that pattern would work for an Italian greyhound?
Thats great! I am the same way with knitting, I go through phases where I knit like crazy, then I stop for up to a year!
I think it would work for an Italian Greyhound. although you might want to make it longer. Molly has a hairless belly so I am adding a "band" to go across her tummy and keep it warm