Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 30th, 2012, 10:21 AM

Kitten doesn't like hands or feet

I hope our little Leia comes around. It's been sad lately in our household as our beautiful 6 year old cat Chewie passed away. It's been the hardest thing we've had to deal with. To keep Chewie's brother, Naya, company, we added a new member to our family, Leia. She's 9 weeks old and absolutely LOVES Naya, but she doesn't like our hands and feet. I have a fear her previous owner wasn't so nice to her. When she first came home, I picked her up and she was fairly comfortable in my hands, but when I put her down, she hid under the bed for the first day, and eventually ventured out into the rest of the house. Now she's all over the place. When Naya is around, she IMMEDIATELY comes out to play, but if Naya isn't, she's hesitant to be around us, unless we are sitting down. The weird thing is, when we go to bed, she's on the bed with us, and sleeps with us, and after a few minutes on the bed, she thinks that my arm is her mother, and tries to suck on my arm! When she's in this mode, I can touch her with no problems and she purrs like crazy, but after the 'mom' mode goes away, she is afraid of my hands again. If my hand is outside on top of the covers, she tries to attack it. I want to take her to the vet to make sure she's ok, but how do I even approach this? I can't pick her up or touch her, and she runs away and scared when we walk by, but she's not afraid of the surroundings as she's out and about all the time. Now I believe that Naya isn't too amused with her, as she's always around him, and maybe she thinks he's her mother? How do I get this little beauty to love us? I have magic cat hands, that all cats that I've met love, but she won't let me show her. I'm irritated with her previous owner that maybe she hit her or used her hands as a toy. Any Advice?