Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old October 28th, 2010, 06:36 AM
ZiggyZuzuZoeyRaggzy&Keena

High Liver Enzymes/Low Thyroid...fingers crossed!

So we brought our beautiful golden girl to the vet on Monday to discuss upping her pain meds as her hind legs are getting stiffer and stiffer. She is 16y 4 mths old so that is not unusual.

She is presently on Chondroitin/Glucosamine/MSM, Flex Tabs, Tramadol as necessary and getting cartrophen injections once a month since June. We were discussing starting Deramax and decided to do a wellness blood test first.

Vet called yesterday and her liver enzymes are high (but not out of control) and her thyroid came back low. Both could simply be a sign of aging and nothing to worry about OR she could possibly have something"bad" going on with her liver. We are taking her in tomorrow to run a second more comprehensive two-step thyroid test as well as a bile acids test.

Hopefully both tests will indicate old age and we can put her on the Deramax to manage her pain and keep her comfy. If there is any chance of cancer we will only treat the symptoms and not the desease but will have to discuss whether we can still put her on Deramax or not.

Never had a dog before much less one this old. Certainly comes with it's own challenges but we love her so much and want to do what is best for her.

Anyone have any experience/insight with dealing with these issues in senior dog?

Ginger and Hobo at the Bridge (Valentine's Day 2011) but NEVER forgotten <3...

"‎I have sent you on a journey to a land free from pain, not because
I did not love you, but because I loved you too much to force
you to stay" ♥ ♥

We do not have to wait for Heaven, to be surrounded by hope, love, and joyfulness.
It is here on earth and has four legs!
Old October 28th, 2010, 10:28 AM
Senior Contributor

Well no advice to offer, I am in the exact same boat as you. Dealing with my first senior dog who is going downhill, and it hurts me more than her. I sure hope the new blood tests come back with what you are hoping for. I totally support your decision though to keep her comfortable only and not treat the incurable at this age. to you all.
Old October 28th, 2010, 12:19 PM
Doggie Wench

16 years is incredible, Diane. I wish I had some easy answers for you as well. Give Ginger a big gentle hug from me.
Old October 28th, 2010, 12:22 PM
-

No advice Diandpat....I know you treasure your girl and will treat her like the Queen that she is .....Ginger will ask no more of you. 16 is elderly for any dog, but for a Golden.........WOW.
Old October 28th, 2010, 03:19 PM

Goodluck with your tests 16 is an awesome age for a golden! Thyroid as you know can be easily treated, as well as liver numbers that are slightly elevated with SAM-E and milk thistle... hope the new bloodtests will give you the answers you are looking for... and treating your furkid by watching her signs, instead of looking at test results sometimes is the best way to go... sounds like shes doing pretty darn good at her age!
Old October 28th, 2010, 03:43 PM
Senior Contributor

diane,a 16yr old golden,that's amazing,not that it is any less difficult when they get sick,hopefully whatever ails her,can be treated with some meds and lots of love