Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old September 4th, 2004, 08:40 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Spay surgery 'knot' delemna

Hey everybody

About a month ago Sadie my now 9 mon old collie was spayed.

Things seemed to heal right but then a spot started to swell and was infected. She went on some antibiotics, the vet said there may be a knot that didnt' dissolve but it could push itself out.

About two weeks went by the infection 'seemed' to clear up but then came back.

Returned to the surgeon who did the spay.

She is scheduled to go back on Tuesday to have this 'surgically' removed under sedation.

The surgeon said it will eventually work its way out but he can go in now and take it out.

My problem is ...she's already had 3 sedations for dental work and the spay. I dont' want her to have another one unnecessarily plus all the shaving etc... and cost factor.

Now, she's on some antibiotics again and I"m keepin the area clean. Surgeon says the infection will stay localized and not spread past this knot that will dissolve in TIME.

What I'd like to know is others suggestions and opinions if they've been in this situation before??? Any vet techs out there?

Should I wait and let it come out on its own??
Should she have the surgery??

Pls help me out if you've been in my shoes, my first real delemna with her and I'd like some input.

I thank ya so much
Old September 4th, 2004, 09:27 PM
banned user

Luba the same thing happen with Kaiger, the knot did not dissolve and caused infection. When I returned to his Vet they told me to keep it clean and to use peroxide several times a day and it would pull the knot out or dissolve and also keep it clean and free of infection. It worked and it took only 2 days maybe, not to be gross but the same thing just happen with my husband He had surgery same thing happen. In my opinion I would wait a few days try the peroxide ask your Vet if you wish first but I know it did work for Kaiger and Marty both

Good Luck, keep us updated on Sadie and Tanner too.
Old September 4th, 2004, 09:31 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Thanks dear for the response.

This surgeon says it's not in the first layer it's in the second layer and it may dissolve in time.

So, you think maybe if I keep cleaning it like I have been doing it will resolve in time?

I'm sorry to hear about hubby bubby, I trust he is okay?
Old September 4th, 2004, 09:59 PM
banned user

I can only tell you that it worked for us, now I am not sure what layer it was in, I do know it was red it did swell and Marty said it did hurt he said it felt like a bruise. So if you feel ok with leaving it and your Vet thinks Sadie will be ok and it will stay localized and not spread past this knot I might just try that. Remember if he does the surgery it could start all over again more knots to dissolve.

I have heard for yrs from people about this happening to themself or their pets it is really not uncommon honestly
Marty is fine it was in April all better now, he still fakes pain sometimes though
Old September 4th, 2004, 10:26 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Marty smarty farty faking pains LOL very cute!

I thought about the reinfection and more knot problems yes, you think like me too much. I was discussing this with mom while I was cleaning the area. It's quite puffy under the skin, swollen and maybe a little pus in it.

The more I think about it the more I don't want to have it cut out.
Old September 4th, 2004, 10:50 PM
banned user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luba
Marty smarty farty faking pains LOL very cute!

I thought about the reinfection and more knot problems yes, you think like me too much. I was discussing this with mom while I was cleaning the area. It's quite puffy under the skin, swollen and maybe a little pus in it.

The more I think about it the more I don't want to have it cut out.
Do you think if it is swollen and wet that the peroxide will help it dry and as it pulls the infection out the knot will come too. Now let me tell you, I feel bad but last weekend we had Frodo here and he and BLaze played ans Frodo is tougher than Blaze and they were pulling on a toy and Frodo got mad and bite Blaze on his face. It started to bleed and was pretty bad to tell you the truth, I thought about calling my Vet I then read in my Golden Retriever for Dummies great book about peroxide drying up hot spots and pulling out infection. We put it on often mixed with alittle water and with in a couple of days it worked it is dry and clean. Peroxide will pull that pus out through the skin I promise.
Old September 4th, 2004, 10:58 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

You are making me feel better already

Such a good friend thank you ((hugs))

Little rough house play goin on there huh! Well now, mama you tell that roughien (spelling) to cool his engines!!
Old September 4th, 2004, 11:11 PM
banned user

Glad to help remember you were there with great advice with Blaze and the mange. We thank you for that and will try to return the fav in any way we can. Now about the boys, yes Frodo is a brat.. he lives with a cat no dogs and when he comes here he goes wild. He is much more hyper and should we sayon the aggression side. Personalities are not the same , poor Blaze I did tell Frodo Mom that we want him to keep coming here and playing for weekends but she must step on that point now with him. It's not good to be too pushy with other dogs Frodo can be very mean and he is 6 weeks younger than Blaze. Poor is tought be nice when playing because Jordie is only 14 pounds after all. won't fight back and takes it all and walks away with a smile on his face.
Old September 5th, 2004, 09:55 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I think I've decided to hold off on the surgery for this. If it can work its way out with the peroxide solution then thats what I'm going to do for now.

Since the surgeon says it's localized and 'will not' spread ... at this time I see no need to put her through another sedation. In her short life so far she has had three, and thats already 2 too many for me to like!

So, thanks GB!! You've help me make up my mind I think. If however it doesn't look any different awhile from now, I think I'll give in and opt for the surgical removal. I"m also going to talk to my regular vet about it, she didnt' do the spay a surgeon at the referral clinic did while Sadie was getting her braces off (see I wanted to 'save' a sedation not give her more )
Old September 5th, 2004, 12:39 PM
Proud dog mommy!

Question Could this be the same?

My friend's dog was done back in June and she has a little bubble by her surgery. She said that it fills up and that drains. Would peroxide help that?
Old September 5th, 2004, 04:00 PM
banned user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beautygirl
My friend's dog was done back in June and she has a little bubble by her surgery. She said that it fills up and that drains. Would peroxide help that?
peroxide will help with any infection and also pull out the source of it. Peroxide will not harm it can only clean and heal.

Luba
I think you are doing the right thing for Sadie, she has had enough and if little time will get this cleaned up than that is much better in the long run. Keep us posted
Good Luck
Old September 5th, 2004, 04:14 PM
banned user

My vote goes for sparing poor Sadie another surgery right now, unless it looks like the infection is spreading. Hopefully it will work itself out in time.
Old September 5th, 2004, 07:12 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

You guys are 'awwwwesome'!!

Thank you for the support. I didn't want to just 'do it' cause the surgeon said to. So today the appt was cancelled and the peroxide solution has been already shrinking the swelling and it looks like the surface pus has resided.

Today is the first day that she didn't lick at it except to check out what the peroxide was.

I feel relief and BeautyGirl it may be the same thing, give it a try
Old September 5th, 2004, 08:26 PM
banned user

Quote:
You guys are 'awwwwesome'!!

Thank you for the support. I didn't want to just 'do it' cause the surgeon said to. So today the appt was cancelled and the peroxide solution has been already shrinking the swelling and it looks like the surface pus has resided.

Today is the first day that she didn't lick at it except to check out what the peroxide was.

I feel relief and BeautyGirl it may be the same thing, give it a try

I am glad you feel good about waiting it is great that the peroxide has started to work, I bet in no time it will be gone and a Sadie will thank you for not doing the surgery. By the way Luba I was looking at your photo's and it sure would be a sight seeing you and Sadie walking together, Tanner and Sadie I bet lots of man looking at you.
very pretty Mom and daughter
Old September 5th, 2004, 09:10 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Oh youuuuuu (blushes)

Thank you

Have to check in on Tanner too, see how he is doing and I'll keep up this peroxide, finish the few antibiotics she has left and HOPE it goes away on its own!!
Old September 6th, 2004, 12:23 AM
Senior Contributor

Luba, are you using straight peroxide or diluting it with water? When Den-Den had his neck injuries, the vet had me keep the area cleaned with a 50-50 solution. I couldn't believe how fast he healed with no infection or inflammation. It's really good stuff!
Old September 6th, 2004, 10:59 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Thx 'lass and yes I am definitely diluting the sucker in spring water to say the least!! No tap water on my babies boo boo!

How often did u do it? I think 3x a day is good enuf huh?
Old September 6th, 2004, 02:32 PM
Senior Contributor

I did it 4x. 1st thing in the morning, late morning, mid-afternoon and at bedtime. I just soaked a pad with it and blotted - not runny - enough to moisten the area thoroughly. He was also taking Clavamox (sp?) at the time and I was warned he might lose his appetite with that. I fed him small meals with the Clavamox and his appetite never waned. I couldn't believe that after 3 weeks, you couldn't see any sign of his injuries whatsoever. You saw the pictures I posted. Sadie is young and healthy, thanks to great care by a loving mommy! Her system should be able to fight this off too and she'll be fine. I don't think she could get any better care than what you are providing for her.
Old September 6th, 2004, 06:35 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

You wanna hug? Well if you don't you got one anyway!!

Thanks for the support and kind words. How is little DenDen doing?
Old September 6th, 2004, 10:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Awww, sankx! Den-Den is doing great! He goes outside on his own again (after sticking his head out first and looking around!) We're just so thankful that I was home and was able to get to him in time! News flash! My hubby saw the neighbors loading boxes into the back of two pickups!!! Oh (cross my fingers and toes) I hope they're moving!!!!! I haven't seen any dogs the last couple days either!!!
Old September 7th, 2004, 11:44 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

OH wow I hope they're moving!!! YIPPIE!!!
Old September 8th, 2004, 08:33 PM
banned user

Luba how is Sadie? do you think the peroxide is working or helping at all yet? Hope she is and Mommy is feeling better

Blaze see Vet tomorrow as I think the mange has went to his back, found a spot yesterday. I hope it is something else a birth mark maybe She thinks we should start treatment of Ivomac I am scared.
Old September 8th, 2004, 08:40 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

So far so good with the peroxide

YIKES with the treatment but you know, mange does spread.

The poor darling but he's not having as bad a go at it as some dogs, some go completely bald and their skin goes all red it's so so sad

He'll be okay, auntie Luba and cousin Sadie are rootin for him and you!!
(does hubby have a sympathy spot on his back )
Old September 8th, 2004, 09:07 PM
banned user

Quote:
So far so good with the peroxide

YIKES with the treatment but you know, mange does spread.

The poor darling but he's not having as bad a go at it as some dogs, some go completely bald and their skin goes all red it's so so sad

He'll be okay, auntie Luba and cousin Sadie are rootin for him and you!!
(does hubby have a sympathy spot on his back )

So far so good- great
I know mange does spread but that is not good if it does. I know what the next stage is and that I am not ready for. Right now if this is spread to his back than we must now start Ivomac which and can take his life and if I don't treat him mange can take his life. So what can I do? If my Vet thinks I have no choice than I do what she thinks, I hate paws r us kennel more everyday
Tell you tomorrow after vet what happens and I know Auntie Luba and cousin Sadie are rootin for us thanks
Nothing on hubby yet but we shall see what happens in the days to come.
Old September 8th, 2004, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenblaze
Right now if this is spread to his back than we must now start Ivomac which and can take his life and if I don't treat him mange can take his life. So what can I do? If my Vet thinks I have no choice than I do what she thinks, I hate paws r us kennel more everyday
OMG!! I had no idea mange was that bad!! My heart goes out to you and your beautiful puppy. Phoebe and I are also rooting for you both!! Good feelin' and healthy vibes being sent your way!
Old September 8th, 2004, 09:37 PM
banned user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Writing4Fun
OMG!! I had no idea mange was that bad!! My heart goes out to you and your beautiful puppy. Phoebe and I are also rooting for you both!! Good feelin' and healthy vibes being sent your way!
Thanks alot to tell you the truth I had no idea what mange was until I got Blaze. I have never had a dog with it or heard of any of my family or friends dealing with mange. there are more than one type of mange and scartopic is the "better" one easy to treat. Demodex can not be treated in some cases it really depends on what stage it is and the pups immune system. Generalized is the worst stage and is extremely difficult to control , the dog can be in great pain due to skin damage from demodex.
Blaze we believe is still localized but if his immune system
can't fight the mites off it will turn to generalized the only treatment to kill mites can kill the pet. I can't understand with all the meds now out there why is there not something safe for mange? Dr Fisher at Pfizer Animal Health has been great working with our Vet and myself trying to find someway to control this disease and help Blaze live long happy life with his family. Anyway thanks again and take care.
Old September 12th, 2004, 02:14 PM
banned user

Luba,

How is Sadie doing with the knot? Is it clearing up, no more infection I hope. Just wondered how she was
Old September 12th, 2004, 02:21 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

How come this didn't come up on my new posts before?

Oh well...
anyway it's not as swollen but still red. I don't see any pus but there's still a bump underneath the skin. Still keeping an eye on it and HOPING it clears up on it's own.

Yu are a sweetie for asking again.
Old September 12th, 2004, 02:38 PM
A.R.Activist & Vet Assis.

Hi Luba....yes if the used disolvable sutures, the knot should work itself out without putting her through another anesthetic, not mention it's nice to avoid the additional costs if it can be avoided)
But it really is important it is kept really really clean. Make sure though that a close eye is kept on it and if it appears to be uncmfortable for her,or additional redness or swelling (or lump) appears, take her in for a recheck.Make sure you observe for oozing or discharge of any color. Not sure how your hospital runs things but here at this clinic there is no charge for rechecking an ongoing condition.
I know you're probably doing all this anyway! Good luck
Sharon
Old September 12th, 2004, 02:57 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Thanks Sharon

The lump is under the surface (where the knot is) and I am definitely keeping an eye on it and cleaning it daily.

Have you seen this last for so long yourself before?