Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old August 10th, 2003, 02:16 PM

kittens in a new home

I recently took home a 5 week old male tabby from my grandparents farm. I also have a 2.5 year old male tabby. He is nuetered but my kitten isnt yet. I write today because the little kitten will not stop peeing on my bed. nowhere else in the house will he pee but on my bed.Is this a reaction due to the fact he is not nuetered? He gets along fine with the other cat, but still pees on my bed. anyone with information or advice would be greatly recieved.
Old August 10th, 2003, 02:30 PM
Senior Contributor

The best thing would be to take him back to his mother for another two weeks minimum. 5 weeks old is WAY to young to be taken from the mother. Is he eating on his own? What are you feeding him?

At 5 weeks, he does not have much control over his bladder function, and when he needs to go, he needs to go NOW.

Get a little pen or dog crate to put the kitten in. Use a shallow baking tray as a litter box, and do not use clumping litter yet. Take a spoonful of litter from your other cat's litter box and put it in the kitten's tray, so he can smell it and catch on to what to do in the litterbox. With no mother to teach him to use the litter box, you will have to do it.

After he eats, put him in his tray and move his paws through the litter to show him what to do. Hopefully, he will catch on. Do not give him free run of the house - it's much too dangerous for tiny kittens, and he will never learn to use the litterbox.
Old August 11th, 2003, 01:29 AM

His mother was killed and my aunt nursed him for one week until i picked him up, he was a sole survivor, and he uses the litter box fine, pees and poops in it properly, but it seems he goes out of his way once a day to pee on our bed. I dont understand it at all.we changed the sheets, cleaned the matress, done anything to get any smell out, but still pees on the bed.he doesnt pee or poop anywhere else, just the litter box and my bed.
Old August 11th, 2003, 01:31 AM

and yes he is eating fine, my older male is on a diet, and he is eating his dry food and wet food quite well. He also seems to have good bowel movements.
Old August 11th, 2003, 10:25 AM
Senior Contributor

You may think the bed has no odour, but your kitten may be able to smell it.

In this case, put him in a small room or pen, as I mentioned below.

Habits become ingrained very quickly in cats, so you want to break him of the habit of peeing on your bed by not allowing him access to the bed.

Also, I would feed him food especially formulated for kittens - very important.