Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old February 9th, 2009, 07:17 PM

Angry Stop my dogs from eating crap!

I have 3 labs. about 3 weeks ago the two youger ones started eating crap!
I tried 2 types of over the counter pills form Petsmart ( Nasty Habit and Excel Deterent) they stop for a few days and then start again. I also tried some home aid and no luck. Now my wife will nit let them in the houes.
Help!
Old February 9th, 2009, 08:25 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

The only thing we've found that works (and even then, not 100% cuz we can't always run fast enough) is to go out with the dogs and pick up the poop as soon as it's deposited. We have 8 dogs, so we're kept hopping most of the time they're outside.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 9th, 2009, 08:55 PM
Owned by goldens

Stop my dogs from eating crap

That is a disgusting habit but it seems to be so common especially in winter.
How about muzzling them when they go out to poo? I wouldn't keep a muzzle on all the time,just when they go out to do their business. It's not ideal but its better than keeping them outside in the extreme cold.
Old February 9th, 2009, 09:01 PM

Unhappy Update

The dogs are outside about 8 hour a day so the muzzling is not the thing.

we pick up the yard 3-4 times a week, and we have a large yard. Not like they have to walk in it. I will keep looking.......... Thanks
Old February 9th, 2009, 09:43 PM
You can call me DOG!

Elkman...I hear ya!! Our Springer LOVES to eat poopsicles! The only thing we have found that works is Meat Tenderizer (in powder form). You sprinkle (and I mean sprinkle a couple of dashes) into or onto their food. We feed twice daily so we do a little sprinkle on each feeding.

I've tried the pineapple, dill pickle, and so far the meat tenderizer is the only thing that has worked for annoying poopsicles--my better half calls them well --- S*#T sicles

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old February 9th, 2009, 10:51 PM

Thanks for the help.I will try meat tenderizer, and nay other plan with some hope. What can I say I love my Labs.
Old February 10th, 2009, 03:34 AM

If the meat tenderizer doesn't work,there's another product you can try called Forbid, most vets sell it or can get it(if it's still around). It's not to expensive. Sprinkle on the food like most other products and it's suppose to make the poop taste really bitter,it may be more potent than the stuff sold at pet stores. Probably similar to the other stuff you've tried but I've met a few people who have used it with success.

Not that it makes it any better but at least you know where the poopcicles came from instead of some unknown dog that could be carrying something.
Old February 10th, 2009, 09:34 AM
Senior Contributor

My boston terrier did this when she was young. Funny she did it on raw food. I think her waste was very palatable. Anyway turns out she lost weight, I think she was hungry on that food hense the reason why she ate her stools. She didn't eat the other dogs though. Anyway today she is very satified with her meals and stopped that nasty habit. She did develop bad allergies though, maybe a connection. So if time doesn't change it, try different food.
Old February 10th, 2009, 09:43 AM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Forbid is the best product I have seen and it is still sold at least here in the US.
You have to put it in all the dogs food that live in the house.
Old February 10th, 2009, 09:51 AM
Garden nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmccallum View Post
Elkman...I hear ya!! Our Springer LOVES to eat poopsicles! The only thing we have found that works is Meat Tenderizer (in powder form).
Well some meat tenderizers list MSG in the ingredients. Check your label. MSG enhances flavor so it's probably enhancing the poop taste and might be the "active" anti-poop eating ingredient.

Sheeba has recently started hunting poopsicles, but Sandy isn't touching them. Sheeba plays with them more than she picks them up and bats them around on the ice like a cat and pounces on them. Then again she does that with snow balls that somehow she seems to make herself. I dunno how she gets such big snow chunks.
Sandy Belle Sheeba - born 11/14/07 at 12:30 pm Linx Jasper
Old February 10th, 2009, 02:30 PM

Smile Back from the Vet

I got Forbid from the Vet. this is cheaper than I paid for the pills at Petsmart........... Hope it works...... I will let you know in about 4-5 days.
Old February 10th, 2009, 04:49 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

You would definitely not want to muzzle the dogs since they are unsupervised outside during the majority of the day. Are the dogs always left outside or is this a new thing?

While it's definitely not an uncommon behavior, some research suggests that some dogs who exhibit this behavior are stressed and anxious. Sometimes making toys available can alleviate the behavior if it's stress related. Other studies suggest that it can be a psychological behavior related to being reprimanded for defecating, so the dog thinks that defecating is wrong and tries to hide the evidence. There can also be medical issues like vitamin deficiencies or severe hunger (starvation) that can cause the behavior, although the vitamin deficiencies are not common and I'm sure your dogs aren't starving. Of course this only applies if the dog is eating other dog feces.

Bottom line, regardless of the why (other than a medical issue), the only way to make sure that your dogs aren't eating the feces is to make sure they never have access to it by either cleaning up the feces before they have a chance to eat it, or to only let them outside when you can supervise them. The longer the behavior goes on, the harder it will be to break them of the habit.

Good Luck!
Old February 17th, 2009, 07:04 PM

Any More Help

Want To Know If You Have Any New News
Old February 17th, 2009, 11:51 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Oy....so I take it the Forbid didn't work?

We haven't found anything that works, either...except running like maniacs through the yard trying to pick it up before our poop eaters get to it.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 18th, 2009, 12:45 AM

Its their diet. Try changing the food. Also heard spinach works

There is another product out there called "potty mouth". I think its the same as forbid?? I wouldn't do the meat tenderizer though. I think it would make food taste better. And MSG is not good for anybody
Lovey - Female Fawn Boxer (RESCUE)
Anakin - Male Brindle Boxer (RESCUE)

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. - Mohandas Gandhi -

~Until there are none, rescue one ~

Boxer Rescue - www.rescueaboxer.com
Scentsy - www.ilovescents.ca
Old February 18th, 2009, 09:01 AM

I have two dogs, one that used to eat her own poo (thankfully has grown out of that now) and the other who is a poo connoisseur enjoying all different types of poo, especially cat and rabbit.

Most often, if the dog is otherwise healthy, this is just something that they like to do. Not very pleasant for the human owners (especially when your dog has poo breathe or even worse - an upset tummy)

Like Hazelrunpack, I tried many things but I think that the best solution I found was to pick it up more often as nothing seemed to deter the behavior enough

You may have already read a lot on information on the subject but here is a link to the pets.ca article on coprophagia:
http://www.pets.ca/articles/dog-eats-poop.htm
Old February 18th, 2009, 12:59 PM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperWanda View Post
ILike Hazelrunpack, I tried many things but I think that the best solution I found was to pick it up more often as nothing seemed to deter the behavior enough
We're in the same boat. Penny, if she could, will eat her own and Lucky and Ava's too . She won't go near any fosters' poop though . Telling her "leave it" will work until I stumble on over to pick it up.

In the past, she's been fed vet prescribed food, high quality grain and grain-free kibble, and now raw...diet doesn't seem to have anything to do with it; she'll still munch away if given the chance . I won't do msg either, I just go out for fresh air more often and pick up after them while I'm at it.
Old March 5th, 2009, 10:04 AM

Need more help

THe FORBID is not working. any more feed back?
Old March 5th, 2009, 11:13 AM

I had the same problem nothing works, you just have to clean up poop everyday and preferably as soon as they go.
Old March 5th, 2009, 11:17 AM
ZiggyZuzuZoeyRaggzy&Keena

Agreed with what everyone else says...you just have to clean it up!!!

Ginger is a total poopsicle fan and Hobo can find feral caca from a mile away...just have to be diligent in picking it up.

What I can't figure out is the relationship between eating it and not being allowed in the house...is it on their paws???? Just give them a breath freshener and call it a day It's no big deal!

Ginger and Hobo at the Bridge (Valentine's Day 2011) but NEVER forgotten <3...

"‎I have sent you on a journey to a land free from pain, not because
I did not love you, but because I loved you too much to force
you to stay" ♥ ♥

We do not have to wait for Heaven, to be surrounded by hope, love, and joyfulness.
It is here on earth and has four legs!
Old March 5th, 2009, 11:43 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by totallyhip View Post
Its their diet. Try changing the food.
Not always. Basil is a poop eater (though he's a picky poop eater--he only goes for the really nasty stuff ) and has done it through multiple kibbles, home cooked food and raw.
Old March 5th, 2009, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by totallyhip View Post
Its their diet. Try changing the food.

I agree it's NOT a diet thing.