Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old September 10th, 2004, 06:41 PM

Puppy and Slugs

I have posted a few times about Oliver (12 week Shih Tzu)and you have all been so wonderful. So here is a few more questions for you..... Oliver loves slugs, he sniffs them out and eats them. As soon as I realize what he has done I go fishing in his mouth for it, ewww, yuck, gross. Apparently not all of the slugs he finds are found by me or my Hubby in time, as I found three in his poop today, another ewww. Anyway to get to the point my questions are.....
Will slugs make him sick?
Why does he eat slugs?
Do other dogs do this?
First mushrooms, now slugs, what's next?

P.S. What are your opinions on Nutrience Puppy Food. I had him on Puppy Chow but he wouldn't eat it. Thanks to all of you I now know why. He has been on Nutrience for just over a week now and loves it.
Old September 10th, 2004, 07:00 PM
Senior Contributor

I know that eating slugs in some parts of the world can make a dog very sick, but don't think that's the case in Canada. You should mention this to your vet, just in case.

Nutrience is good food.
Old September 12th, 2004, 12:44 AM

Hahahahaha! I have to say I found your article humourous! I too have seen dogs eat some very very strange things! My one dog used to eat Bumblebees. And I don't mean just snap at them when they flew by- I'm talking hunt them out and chew them to little bits! The same dog used to be kept inside during fall. Why? u might ask. The dog ate leaves!!! He would chase any dead leaf that moved, bark at it, then chew and swallow it!

Some of my friends thought I fed it dognip unstead of dogfood!

I do hope that it is ok for dogs to eat slugs! keep us updated!
Old September 12th, 2004, 01:45 AM
Crusader

LOL i agree with bambibabe6983..i burst out laughing when i saw Shelly saying ewww ewww and ewww lol i can so imagine that.. i am the same LOL!! ewww! funny tho.. you'd see me kissing the doggie on his mouth only later LOL!!
i agree with LR if he like's it then it must be his snack lol ewwww!
i am sure if he did not like it he WONT be so determind to keep having a feast lol...
Old September 12th, 2004, 07:40 AM
Senior Contributor

Although I don't know if what your doggie is eating will harm him,the fact is your dog is a gourmet,must be french
Mushrooms and slugs(snails?)a favourite of my hubbie
Old September 12th, 2004, 07:57 AM

At night our garden is CRAWLING with slugs, whether it's dry or wet. They only come out at night though. If this is the case with you, I'd suggest doing what we do - go out before you let your doggy out and pick as many slugs as you can up (using rubber gloves of course!) and chuck them away.
I think you can also buy powder. We use pepperdust to keep Tally off te plants - it's very effective and doesn't harm her. Or you could just put some pellets down for the slugs to get rid of them once and for all!
Old September 12th, 2004, 09:47 AM
Sammi

The problem with the slug bait (pellets), is that if your dog eats the pellets, they are VERY toxic and she'll become what we call a "shake and bake" dog.............Uncontrolable shaking, seizures, death. Beer is a good slug and snail killer, but you don't want your dog drinking that either!
Old September 12th, 2004, 10:53 AM

Another slug killer that's pretty cheap is salt. We used to get them really bad in the summer time, and my mom would go pour salt over them. Its gross clean up the next day, but just use the garden hose and wash them off wherever they are.
Old September 12th, 2004, 11:42 AM

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. Unfortunately the slugs around here seem to be out all of the time day or night. I think it is because we have had it quite cool and wet lately. If the slugs aren't going to hurt him I think I will just leave them alone and try to get them out of Oliver's mouth once I see him eating them. Knowing my luck if I did put anything on or around the slugs Oliver would probably eat that too.
bambibabe6983 Oliver has also started chasing leaves as they blow by. And like your dog he too will eat them. This started yesterday. I swear he gets into more mischief than my 2 year old Daughter.

Thanks again, and I'm glad you all had a good chuckle.
Old September 12th, 2004, 11:44 AM

Yep, salt is very good, only the slugs die in disgusting ways and you have to pick their insides up!
You can buy all sorts of crystals and powders that aren't toxic to pets. At the moment we have green crystals in our garden to stop puppy eating plants. She stayed away for the first five minutes as they made her sneeze, but then she got braver and started to eat them.
Also, salt can be tempting to puppies but can upset their tummies. I'd suggest buying a good crystal solution, or trying a cheaper method.
Good luck, and hopefully your dog will realise that there's nothing so desirable about slugs after all?
Old September 12th, 2004, 11:57 PM

unlike the mushrooms is believe that slugs are non toxic chasing leaves is fun and crunching them is yummy. wait till the snow flies then you probably won't even have to give your dog fresh water....will eat the snow... giant holes of snow meaning more trips outside

watchout for products which are or could be toxic--slug killing most products are toxic...call in a professional if really needed
Old September 13th, 2004, 07:08 AM

I thought you could fill those slug traps with beer?

Slugs move too slowly for Phoebe (no sport in that!). Grasshoppers and moths are her favorites!
Old September 13th, 2004, 08:10 PM

I am glad Oliver hasn't run across any grasshoppers. Those must make an awful CRUNCHING noise. At least the slugs (although slimy) go down quietly.
Old September 13th, 2004, 10:19 PM

Yup, they crunch quite nicely - which is another reason I think she likes them so much! And they're HUGE! She brought one into the house once - I though it was a stick, it hung out either side of her mouth. Then she put it down and it MOVED! I freaked (anything with more than 4 legs gives me the heebee jeebies!) I waited for her to pick it up and made her bring it back outside. To quote your first post, ewww, yuck, gross!
Old September 14th, 2004, 04:08 PM

Rosie loves to eat ants. she just stands over the ant hill and sucks them back. they crawl all over her. hows that for no sport.