Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old July 14th, 2005, 12:53 AM
Love all creatures

Question HP and my pitbull

This might be in the wrong section? But here goes anyways:

I'm not sure if any of you are familiar with the method, but just in case you're not...this works really well for people:

Using hydrogen peroxide on a Qtip and brushing it over your teeth and gums. Kills more bacteria and whitens teeth, as well as disinfects gums...reduces chance of ging and stuff..

Ok well here's my question. I've been doing this to Messina for a few months now..once or twice a week max..after brushing her teeth...I'll do the same to her..I'll run a moist Qtip dipped in HP over the edge of her teeth where the tooth meets the gums...just to "disinfect" if you will..it also helps the healing process when her gums get a little irritated sometimes from the brush (every now and then they get tender).

Is this a bad thing to be doing? I know people use HP on dogs to induce vomitting..but she's never had a problem..I don't do it often, and I don't think its enough to harm her internally..but I could be wrong..that's why I'm asking for advice here..should I stop doing it? Is there anything I should know about HP and dogs in general?

Thanx guys..I know my questions are a bit odd at times, but its better to be safe then sorry...
Old July 14th, 2005, 06:33 AM
Senior Contributor

No question is too wierd and it shows that you take owning a pet seriously. I don't know but it generally seems safe for humans who of course can avoid swallowing so the disclaimer to that in bold would apply to a pet even more so:

3% Hydrogen Peroxide (H202) can be used as a germicidal mouthwash and throat gargle. This will cleanse the mouth and destroy bad bacteria contributing to bad breath and periodontal disease. For a toothpaste, mix baking soda and enough 3% Hydrogen Peroxide (H202) to make a paste, or simply dip your brush in 3% Hydrogen Peroxide (H202) and brush to maintain white teeth.

Using Hydrogen Peroxide (H202) as a tooth lightener may cause increased tooth sensitivity and tenderness in the gums. The risk of accidental ingestion of the whitening gel and Hydrogen Peroxide (H202) is minor, but if this occurs, it may result in nausea, vomiting, or burning.

http://www.dentalfind.com/glossary/h...xide_h202.html

To just kill baterica cranberry juice works too.
http://www.mizar5.com/keyes.html

Our dogs don't like me to brush thier teeth but let thier mother do it so it was a pain to do then I found a product called denta fresh and the results are great. However I purchased at the all about pets show and in about a month I will have to find a vendor either in a store or online as I am coming to the end of the bottle. I shake a little on one meal a day. The product creates 'good' bacteria in the mouth and the results are white white teeth. It takes a while to start working however.

Last edited by twodogsandacat; July 14th, 2005 at 06:37 AM.
Old July 14th, 2005, 12:01 PM
Love all creatures

thanks for all the information
Old July 14th, 2005, 12:20 PM
Senior Contributor

I have to admit when I saw HP I thought Harry Potter - do I spend too much time with kids or what, lol - The HP you refer to is a good cleaner. Betadine is geat too! I use both with my pets!