Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old April 27th, 2011, 07:56 PM

Exclamation crossing the border to train my dog

Hello

ONce a week i want to cross the ontario border and go to upstate new york to train with a man and a group of people there. i wanted to go to new york i found a god club to train with. ANyone know how easy it would be? I hate to say this but america has the best trainers.

Last edited by hazelrunpack; July 7th, 2011 at 07:42 PM.
Old April 27th, 2011, 08:03 PM

Just make sure your pup is up to date with vaccinations I think (and have the papers with you, just in case) and it shouldn't be a problem. We took Loki down to the States on vacation last year - we weren't asked for anything but we had it on us just in case.
Old April 27th, 2011, 08:28 PM
chronically insane.

Yeah, mostly just keep rabies records on hand. it shouldn't be too much of a problem because no where is rabies free in north america, so there aren't any quarantines or anything. just keep papers on hand and you should be fine

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old April 27th, 2011, 10:16 PM

is there a way they can mark us down in their computer or something or take my dogs tatoo number down or anything just so i can prove to them i am not selling my dog in america nor am i getting my dog from america to sell it to canada? lol

dog looks kinda exotic

maybe get my vet to print out her record that i am the owner and describe her or something?
Old April 28th, 2011, 01:05 AM
Live well, laugh often

There are actually some amazing positive trainers in Ontario. Which area are you looking?

It is very easy to take your dog across the border, we do it frequently with ours. Make sure you have a current rabies certificate (although they never ask here). I would just say that you are meeting up with friends.
Old April 28th, 2011, 01:47 AM

ok i will be with my parents though my dog is like their grand kid they wanna watch, would it be okay to just tell them that i am goiing to meet the syracuse working dog club? which is the truth that is who i am going to meet and train with. If they wanted i could give them the clubs owners name and number.

wonder why rabies is so important anyway america and canada are connected its not like thousands of cats and dogs dont cross the border each day on their own anyway through the wooods. I see a pack of wild dogs cross the ice towards upstate new york border every winter lol
Old April 28th, 2011, 04:16 AM
Senior Contributor

under six months you just need a "note" from a vet saying the animal is healthy
Old April 28th, 2011, 06:56 AM
~Cat Servent~

I took Venus over with me once already... the border guy asked what breed she was, I offered the papers but he said he didn't need to see them, as I understand it you need to have the vaccination cert with you though in case they do.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old April 28th, 2011, 10:32 PM
You can call me DOG!

As everyone stated above, bring her vaccination papers and tell the truth. You're simply taking her to visit and train at the Syracuse Working Dog Club. Not so much trouble going into the U.S. to train however; I would be more concerned with re-entry. So long as you have her Canadian papers, Customs shouldn't give you a hard time.

Surely, Border Patrol wouldn't give you a hard time if you have her Canadian papers with you (from either side of the border). If you do experience a difficult time with an officer, it's not because of you.

You could have all your "I's dotted and T's crossed when you reach either side of the border but ultimately, it will be entirely up to the Officer's discretion and whether or not their having a good day or the coffee pot broke.

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)

Last edited by Dee-O-Gee; April 28th, 2011 at 10:52 PM. Reason: re-wording
Old February 22nd, 2012, 12:35 PM

Yiesk! Sorry to revive an old thread but I just found it while Googling that club :P

I travel to the states a fair amount with my dogs for training. If you are driving across the boarder, you are required to have your dog's proof of rabies. Most vets print out includes a certification that they have examined the dog and it is in good health (they need to be in order to be vaccinated) and will also include the vaccination date and expiry date. It will also state the dog's name and description (breed, colour, sex, chip number) as well as the owner's details. It is generally acceptable at the boarder as your proof that you do indeed own the dog and did not just try to import it into Canada.

If you have additional papers for the dog that prove ownership, it wouldn't hurt to have them with you.

Getting into the states is easy, it's on the way back you may be questioned and asked for the dog's papers (I have been a few times so it does happen). Their bigger concern is not so much about rabies but that you are not illegally importing the dog and by doing so skipping out on taxes and duties.