Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior > Cat behavior forum - cat training

Old November 26th, 2009, 09:11 AM
ZiggyZuzuZoeyRaggzy&Keena

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
Mmmm, I just watched the first one before I posted. After watching the other two it looks like normal play.
The thing that is concerning is Ziggy attacking you and Hobo. To me that says he is getting overly excited during play. It may take Prozac or another calming med to get him over this period. It's not something that he would need to be on the rest of his life. Just long enough for him to settle down and learn to be nice.
You could talk to your vet and see what s/he recommends. Let him/her see the tapes you made.

How are you reacting when Ziggy does his little act? Are you letting him see or sense your distress? He would feed on that and not necessarily react in a good way. Cats are masters at reading us.
Love all the toys! They sure aren't bored!!!
My vet has her masters in feline/canine behavior and I will be making an appt with her in the new year to discuss this situation. Right now she is working with Vets without Borders and is preparing for a trip to Guatamala. Also, to be honest, funds are running scarce right now with Christmas coming up and all. She has also asked for tapes to see what is going on

I am not going to lie...I yell when he swats at me (scratched my lips and eyelid the first time) and certainly Hobo as he has cataracts and probably can't even see it coming. It's like he goes cujo all of a sudden...definitely overstimulated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post

Do you know anything about their histories, Di? Whether either one of them lived with a dog, a cat, or both before?
Ziggy was at the door of the SPCA one morning when they opened so no history at all. To me, it seems like he was not socialized properly, probably taken away from the litter too soon. He will bite after a very short time of petting so I let him headbut me if he wants to be pet and am very observant of the tip of his tail.

Zuzu was given up because she was pregnant and got kicked out of the house. The reason they kicked her out, according to the neighbor who finally brought her in, was the older female cat in the house did not get along with her.

[QUOTE=[B]catlover2[/B];853938]diandpat, I viewed your videos and what I see is domination, not a cat fight. I was expecting to hear screaming, yowling, hissing, growling and to see fur flying! This is domination when he bites her neck and straddles her. The flicking of his tail shows annoyance and excitement. If he were really fighting he wouldn't give up because she goes behind a table or flops down not far from him. When you see Ziggy just before attack mode, say a loud "PSSST! No!", then call Ziggy to you or redirect his attention by throwing a toy or ball of paper, or pen to distract him.

There usually is some hissing and growling (if they would just stop mocking me!!!!) When I see it coming I do throw him one of those felt mice...he LOVES them. Problem is, now I have read that catnip can make some cats aggressive and they have catnip in them. Do you think that could be instigating some of the extreme behavior? Will he always try to dominate her or will the finally go to their corners?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
Thank you for posting the videos, diandpat and catlover.

That is absolutely 100% play between a female and male, they are having fun and I would let them be.

Yup, catlover, that is fighting, reminds me of Snowball when he was able to get at a cat :sad:
I will try to let them be but when it escalates it can get scary (for me!!!) This morning there is peace again. The two dogs and Zuzu are in the living room with me and he is upstairs on the big chair in my room looking out the bay window (same place he always went when he first got here ) so I am just enjoying the moment.

Thank you all again for your support and input. When I look on youtube at cat fights there is definitely no fur flying so I guess that is a good thing, non?

Ginger and Hobo at the Bridge (Valentine's Day 2011) but NEVER forgotten <3...

"‎I have sent you on a journey to a land free from pain, not because
I did not love you, but because I loved you too much to force
you to stay" ♥ ♥

We do not have to wait for Heaven, to be surrounded by hope, love, and joyfulness.
It is here on earth and has four legs!

Last edited by diandpat; November 26th, 2009 at 11:49 AM.
Old November 26th, 2009, 10:50 AM
ZiggyZuzuZoeyRaggzy&Keena

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NQO0eYzmkA

So this is a bit more like it but it can and does get more intense then this. Love the part where Zig stops to look at the camera

So, if this is "playing" do I let them continue or should I break it up? Her ears are back, she is hissing and growling and I don't think she is enjoying herself

Afterwards, he went back behind the loveseat and sat behind her. She did not move but sort of whined/cried...

Ginger and Hobo at the Bridge (Valentine's Day 2011) but NEVER forgotten <3...

"‎I have sent you on a journey to a land free from pain, not because
I did not love you, but because I loved you too much to force
you to stay" ♥ ♥

We do not have to wait for Heaven, to be surrounded by hope, love, and joyfulness.
It is here on earth and has four legs!
Old November 26th, 2009, 11:05 AM

Ziggy definitely thinks he is playing (and cats can act kittenish long past a year) I THINK Zuzu is playing too (she's hiding under things so her body language is harder to see) but Ziggy is being too rough and that is why the hisses. Definitely not a full fledged cat fight, but not fun for you to listen to. If he is distractable, see if you can get him playing with something else. Since this is play, when he is tired out he won't bother ZuZu any more. Try a toy called Cat Dancer. My cats go wild and will play with this as long as I let them. It's simple, cheap and entertaining for the cats, but requires human participation.
Sunshine~ Golden retriever X white german sheperd (Dad's dog)~October 24, 2008-
Old November 26th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Catlover2

Quote:
Originally Posted by diandpat View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NQO0eYzmkA

So this is a bit more like it but it can and does get more intense then this. Love the part where Zig stops to look at the camera

So, if this is "playing" do I let them continue or should I break it up? Her ears are back, she is hissing and growling and I don't think she is enjoying herself

Afterwards, he went back behind the loveseat and sat behind her. She did not move but sort of whined/cried...:confused
:
OK, I'm still seeing domination, tho Ziggy is a little more dominant than your other 2 videos.. Face it, Ziggy is a bully cat (red tabbies often are) and is definitely getting his jollies out of harassing Zuzu. Yes she's pissed (& hissed!) off at him and mighty annoyed with her ears flattened and yowling, and really wants nothing to do with him going from one hiding place to another.

So the ?, let them continue or break them up? The problem is, yes he's still kittenish, but he may escalate this stalk and pounce to more seious cat fights. I would break it up, as it doesn't take much to break the skin with claws or teeth, and cats can easily get an infection that often isn't detected right away, then it's a trip to the vet for antibiotics...$$$$!!
Besides, it bothers you . I'm the same way and I don't tolerate too rough playing. My two have "play fights" but with claws in and they've never escalated into a serious cat fight. One day one dominates and chases, another time it's the other. I can easily distract them with my voice or redirect with a toy. If this doesn't work for you, give yourself some peace and do the room-juggle routine, or rehome one of them.

As for catnip...no it will not make him any more aggressive---he is already naturally. I doubt it has anything to do with his early upbringing. I think your vet will tell you what you've already heard here. Catnip actually has the opposite effect. There is initial excitement followed by relaxation. You can give him some catnip to eat.

Last edited by catlover2; November 27th, 2009 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Word correction: "ears flattened" not "eyes"!
Old November 26th, 2009, 04:03 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlover2 View Post
As for catnip...no it will not make him any more aggressive---he is already naturally. I doubt it has anything to do with his early upbringing. I think your vet will tell you what you've already heard here. Catnip actually has the opposite effect. There is initial excitement followed by relaxation. You can give him some catnip to eat.
I don't know. Vlad gets aggressive when he has catnip. I can't give it to him often because he starts chasing the others and wanting to dominate everyone.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/