Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old November 4th, 2009, 05:40 PM
Senior Contributor

I just read this:

Quote:
Blockages can lead to kidney failure

Most cats brought to the vet for FLUTD do not yet have blockages. However, it's important to act quickly when you see any of these signs, because if a blockage does occur, the backup of urine toxins and pressure can lead to kidney failure and death in as little as 24 hours.
I'm terrified right now. I'm leaving for the vet. Please wish us luck everyone.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old November 4th, 2009, 05:47 PM
ZiggyZuzuZoeyRaggzy&Keena

AG, hopefully it is still just from the UTI and another full day or two of antibiotics will get her back to normal

Ginger and Hobo at the Bridge (Valentine's Day 2011) but NEVER forgotten <3...

"‎I have sent you on a journey to a land free from pain, not because
I did not love you, but because I loved you too much to force
you to stay" ♥ ♥

We do not have to wait for Heaven, to be surrounded by hope, love, and joyfulness.
It is here on earth and has four legs!
Old November 4th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I didn't mean to panic you, AG , sorry. Any time a cat can't pee, to me is an emergency. It could be an infection too.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old November 4th, 2009, 05:55 PM
Senior Contributor

It's pretty rare for a female cat to get blocked, although not impossible. More likely, the blood is related to the inflammation, as is her straining to pee. But it's always better to be safe, so for sure at least call the vet. Maybe ask them about some painkillers as well (although not Metacam!!).

Hoping Oksana is back to peeing normally very soon!

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old November 4th, 2009, 07:18 PM
Senior Contributor

I took her in, and left her so they can get a sample from her. The vet said she'd call me in a couple of hours so I can pick her up.

She told me her bladder was tiny, so they had to give her some fluids.

While I was there waiting some woman had her cat there who was diagnosed with kidney failure last year. So of course, me being the ocd worry wart, I'm thinking all sorts of things.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

Old November 4th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Live well, laugh often

Good luck at the vets, hope Oksana feels better .
Old November 4th, 2009, 08:38 PM
Slave to the Kitties

that Oksana feels better soon
Old November 4th, 2009, 09:13 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

that they're able to get a good sample and diagnose what's ailing the poor dear! When do you expect to hear from them, AG?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old November 4th, 2009, 11:00 PM
Senior Contributor

I got back a little while ago. She has a very severe infection. The vet said she had a high elevation of white blood cells. I sort of blanked after that. I literally nearly fainted there. I'm so afraid for her.

The vet gave her a shot of some antibiotic and we're sending out bloodwork and urine to check on everything. The vet said we need to know what bacteria she has to make sure we're treating with the correct medication.

She also said it's as if she's had this building for a while and now it's just gotten so bad. How did I not see this? I haven't noticed anything off about her.

I just had to wash her down, she pooped all inside the carrier and had poop on her. Tomorrow I'm going to see if i can leave work early so I can take her back to the vet and they can pill her, because it's the only way I an be sure she's getting the entire medication. I'd like to stay home, but I think she'll be okay until I get home. Thankfully, the weekend is almost here so I'll be able to watch her better over the weekend, and hopefully we'll have the test results by Friday.

I don't know what I'd do if anything happened to her. Thanks for all of your support.

I'm going to see if she wants to come lay on the bed with me.

Old November 4th, 2009, 11:04 PM
Live well, laugh often

Awww, I'm so sorry she is sick. Don't beat yourself up, our pets are experts at hiding illnesses from us. I'm sure the antibiotics should help and she will be feeling better soon .

Old November 4th, 2009, 11:10 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I think kitties can be especially good at hiding when they're not feeling up to snuff, AG. So don't kick yourself

for the antibiotics to have the lovely Oksana back on her paws in no time!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old November 5th, 2009, 12:00 AM

for good test results & speedy healing

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old November 5th, 2009, 12:33 AM
-

for Oksana and for you.
Old November 5th, 2009, 08:15 AM
Senior Contributor

Thanks for all the support. I hardly slept last night. I kept waking up and looking for her. I woke up and found several spots of poop around downstairs. It could have been her. Between the stress and the medication I don't doubt it.

I noticed her go into the litter once before I left home, and saw nothing after she used it. I'm hoping the meds will kick in soon. I'd like to leave early today so I can take her in and have them pill her at the vets office, because I just can't, and I need to be sure she takes that. I did manage to give her some clavomak this morning, no easy feat, but that's easier than the other. It's the pill that's the most important for her to get so that's why I don't want to chance not giving her the entire thing.

I've got to prevent this from happening to her again. I can't have her suffering and then getting as bad as this again. Knowing that this has been building up for a while has be concerned and wondering what I can do to keep it from happening again.

Old November 5th, 2009, 08:46 AM
Senior Contributor

AG,I think you already do what you are supposed to do to prevent this from happening,good quality wet food etc...you are a wonderful responsible kitty-mom,but maybe there is another food
I know how you worry,as would I,but Ithe antibiotics will work wonders
Old November 5th, 2009, 09:02 AM
Senior Contributor

Thanks, Chico. You know, I'm wondering if maybe the EVO might be too high in protein. I called the vet office this morning, and they told me the wellness results might be in this evening, or at the latest tomorrow morning. So, hopefully by tomorrow evening I'll at least know if she's got any other issue, since the wellness is a lot broader. As for the culture, well that will take 7-14 days, depending of course on what she might have.

So, as of now, she's taking Orbax and Clavomax.

Old November 5th, 2009, 04:13 PM
~Cat Servent~

Oh poor Oksana! She's got all our for a speedy recovery! And a big for her worried mom too!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old November 5th, 2009, 06:03 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but she's not been in the litter as much as she has been the last two days. I think the meds are kicking in. I do think she may have some pooping issues, but I know that's because of the antibiotics. I took her to the vet and they gave her her pill, and I was able to give her the Clavamox myself.

Thank you everyone for your support. I don't know what I'd do without you all.

Old November 5th, 2009, 10:37 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Clavamox worked on Puddles by the end of the first 24 hours she was on it.

Poor Oksana

for a speedy recovery.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old November 6th, 2009, 08:28 AM
Senior Contributor

Yes, it's always worked well fog my gang. She's already showing improvement, since she's not been going to her litterbox as much, and when she did go yesterday, she didn't just trickle.

Between that and the Orbax, I'm praying that will take care of whatever she has.

Old November 6th, 2009, 08:40 AM
Senior Contributor

AG,I know how important our Forum is,personally I really do not have any friends who understand or can give advice,the way"our"people do here
Hoping for a quick recovery for little Oksana..
Attached Images

Old November 6th, 2009, 09:15 AM
Senior Contributor

Thanks, Chico. That's a cute little photo.

Yes, I know if I come here concerned, or scared about something, people will understand. Everyone here feels the same way about their pets. My family and friends, they know my cats are important to me, but they see them as animals. And yes, they are animals, but they are so much more to me, and that's what most don't get.

Old November 6th, 2009, 10:01 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Good to hear that the meds are working so quickly! That is great. I know how important your gang is to you. All of us feel the same about ours... each and every one of the little beggars.
You know, checking the internet for information is a great thing. The only downfall is that it tends to scare the crap out of us as we see all the really bad stuff that can happen. Most times it isn't that bad. to you for being such a good mom!!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old November 6th, 2009, 10:47 AM
ZiggyZuzuZoeyRaggzy&Keena

Way to go Oksana!!!! AG, hope she continues to be on the mend so that you can enjoy your weekend!!!! Hope the Wellness results are all good too

Ginger and Hobo at the Bridge (Valentine's Day 2011) but NEVER forgotten <3...

"‎I have sent you on a journey to a land free from pain, not because
I did not love you, but because I loved you too much to force
you to stay" ♥ ♥

We do not have to wait for Heaven, to be surrounded by hope, love, and joyfulness.
It is here on earth and has four legs!
Old November 6th, 2009, 11:09 AM
Senior Contributor

Thanks 14+ & diandpat.

I'm going to start adding more water than I have to their food. I can't make it too soupy, they don't like it. But Oksana needs more liquid in her diet, as I think not enough water could have been a catalyst to this.

And yes, the internet can scare the crap out of you. I sometimes think, do I want to be this informed and wind up worrying and thinking the worst. But then I also think, I need to know what can happen, and if I can prevent it from happening. I don't want this to happen to her again, or any of the others. It's the main reason I feed them canned, to prevent UTI's and kidney issues.

Old November 6th, 2009, 01:48 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Yay, for Oksana being better!

Old November 6th, 2009, 11:11 PM
Senior Contributor

i just saw this thread hope she feels better soon ag! it is so scary when our little ones are not feeling well. to you and Oksana and for her to keep getting better. we all understand being scared for our kitties

Cats leave pawprints on our hearts forever

Eclipse July 23th 2004
Serena July 23th 2004
Stormy April 20 2007
Zoey RIP March 2006-April 2 2007
Old November 7th, 2009, 02:12 AM
-

I hope Oksana is continuing to do well.
Old November 7th, 2009, 09:31 AM
Senior Contributor

She's been doing very well. Her wellness results are back, so now I just have to get the vet to call me and discuss it with me. Their vet works the all night shift at the clinic, so it's hard to get her, but I'm going to keep trying.

The Orbax and Clavomax look like they are doing their job.

Old November 7th, 2009, 09:41 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Why is she on two antibiotics??????

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)