Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old November 19th, 2011, 06:29 PM

Dog won't stop barking, driving me nuts, help!

My dog is a 3 year old Shiba Inu.

He has never barked (ever... even with strangers knocking on the door) until our son started walking (5 months ago). Whenever the toddler goes within 10ish feet of the dog, the dog just starts barking like crazy and won't stop. Sometimes it's playful, most times it's a "go away" bark. This can go on for hours. I am a stay at home mom and the dog gets plenty of walks in the day. Other than keeping the dog in the backyard all day (which I don't, this is a large house but the dog refuses to go downstairs or other rooms if he feels annoyed), I have no idea what to do.

The toddler does not harass or hurt the dog, he is only walking by the dog when the dog starts barking nonstop. How on earth do we peacefully coexist without the dog barking all day and driving me nuts? I'm starting to lose my temper, it's very irritating. I understand the dog must feel 'displaced' but I am not the kind of person who neglected him after the baby was born, I walked him several times daily when the baby was only a few days old and always have since, plus the baby has never been allowed to touch/hurt/bother him.

Old November 19th, 2011, 07:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Shibamom, have you ever Googled Shiba Inus and small children? I just have and seems they are not that good with children. If it were me I think I'd be approaching the breed club for advice from people who really understand your breed.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shiba_Inu
Old November 21st, 2011, 05:50 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi Shibamom. Have you tried having your baby with you for good things, like treat time? Could you sit on a chair with the baby in your lap and give the dog treats? It may help your pup to realize that the baby is not a threat but when he's there good things happen. I would try to work on integrating the baby into fun stuff for the dog. Maybe sit on the floor with the baby between your legs and throw a toy for the dog. Something to distract the dog from barking while the baby is there. When he is barking at the baby, try giving him a quiet command and then reward him when he stops barking. Show him a treat and say "Quiet" when the barking stops (and it normally does when they are distracted from what they're barking at) quickly reward him for it. Eventually you will be able to tell him quiet and just give him a quick pat or verbal reward. Good luck to you, I'm sure it's very annoying, but don't give up hope!