Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old January 17th, 2005, 09:40 PM
banned user

Pumpkin or Yogurt?

Do you guys give your dog pumpkin or yogurt or both for gas?
Yukon has had some wicked gas and we can't stand it! We have to leave the room at least twice every night cause it wreaks! He's eating the Nutro Natural Puppy Lamb and Rice... he also gets milkbones, and some of those formed rawhide sticks, and occasionally some peanut butter in his kong... Could any of those things cause bad gas? Or is he just a gassy pup?
Old January 17th, 2005, 10:13 PM
And Zoodle's Mom!

I used to feed my dog Lamb and Rice and it gave him BAD gas!! I did switch his food, and all was good. But some people's dogs aren't affected by Lamb and Rice in that way. OH wait.... is Yukon a Pittie?? Because they get gas from evrything!!! Trust me! You want to read about it..let me know. I wondered if it was just my boy, but turns out that it's a Pit Bull's way!
Old January 17th, 2005, 10:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Copper's right. We find the thing that seems to give Daisy the most gas is oxygen!

I know that peanut butter used to do nasty things to her digestive system.
Old January 17th, 2005, 11:27 PM
banned user

Is the adult Nutro lamb and rice too? Maybe once we switch to adult it will help? We'd like to keep him on Nutro though... seems like the only good food at the pet store near us....
We'll try nixing the PB too, thanks guys!
Old January 17th, 2005, 11:52 PM
Senior Contributor

I would stop the Milkbones. Those things are deadly! IF you want to give him treats, make them a better quality.

Could be his food too. My Chloe never gets gas and I feed her Wellness and she gets good quality cookies. No rawhide either.

You can add a few tablespoons of plain yogurt to his food. It's very helpful.
Old January 18th, 2005, 02:18 AM
banned user

Why are milkbones not good?? I've never heard that before, those are the only thing my mom used to give her dogs as treats...
And I thought the formed rawhide was okay to give them?
We don't have Wellness in our pet stores... don't know why. Besides Nutro, they say their Pro-Plan and Iams are good.
Old January 18th, 2005, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyRescue
I would stop the Milkbones. Those things are deadly!
OMG! Why are the milkbones bad? I have a special reason for asking. We have a boarder that is also a friend and part of the family. He went with me when we picked up Molly to bring her to her forever home. When he comes up for breakfast he always brings her 4 small (they are about an inch long) doggie treats (milkbone type). He bought them himself and it is part of their interaction time. She is always patient about waiting as he only gives them to her after he has finished his breakfast and she has finished hers. The gentleman is 63 and I think it would be quite upsetting to both of them if I told him that he could no longer do this. She only gets the 4 in the morning. She is a chocolate lab and weighs about 50-60 pounds.
Her health is very good but I am very concerned now.
Old January 18th, 2005, 07:47 AM
Senior Contributor

Someone here will tell you which are the healthy treats (or you could bake them yourself; google homemade dog biscuits, there is an avalanche of recipes), then give them to your boarder. If you explain why and he truly loves the dog, he won't be offended.
Old January 18th, 2005, 08:58 AM

Thank you Badger. I will try finding a recipe. I am a stay at home mom so I have the time to make them. How exciting for me! I bake things for the rest of the family all the time so for me this would be special being able to make something for our newest member. I think you are right by making them myself our boarder will not be offended because it may seem to him that he is able to give her special treats. And yes he truly loves Molly as we all do, she came into our home and stole our hearts. He tried at first to not get attached to her as his dog passed away shortly before he came to stay with us, but that only lasted a few days because Molly was having no part of not being loved by everyone, as she sees him as part of the family too, and would sit at his feet and stare at him and wait till he finally gave in and gave her attention.
Old January 18th, 2005, 09:42 AM
Senior Contributor

Here is a good link for doggie treats. I also give Buddy milkbones but he also gets other things like northern biscuits which are really great natural treats they come in a ton of flavours I like to get the shark cartlidge ones great for their bones and all round good supplement. Buddys favourite doggie biscotti all natural as well. I have found lots of places that have doggie bakeries now Buddy loves those places cuz he always gets a sample or two. This is a link to a bakery that I order from and Debbies stuff is amazing and some of them smell good enough to eat myself. They are all made from human grade products and all natural Buddy got 3 pounds of them for christmas, he just about ate the UPS man when he smelled the box poor guy.

http://www.rastamo.com/debbie/pups/pups.htm

http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-...ookies,FF.html
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old January 18th, 2005, 09:44 AM
And Zoodle's Mom!

Milk Bones don't give my boy gas.....surprisingly! I made him homemade biscuits and they really give him gas!!! Adult lamb and rice gave my boy gas too. Here's something funny for you to read in regards to Pits having gas:

http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopi...s+fart&start=0
Old January 18th, 2005, 09:52 AM
<-----nut ball

a word to the wise of making animal treats. I made cat treats as a gift for christmas for a friend, and I probably won't do it again, or at least not the same recipe. The recipe I used had cod liver oil. That stuff is the worst smelling thing on earth. And because it was in the recipe, my kitchen stank of cod liver oil for the next day! I had to bake a cake to get rid of the smell!!

(maybe it's just me, because I don't eat fish, and anything that smells like fish grosses me out)
Old January 18th, 2005, 09:52 AM
Senior Contributor

Oh yeah that was what the thread was about pumpkin might help I usually use it for diarreah works great or if the stool is a little loose. I don't know about gas but if you would like to really see a room clear I will bring Bud over and the two of them could probably kill a small country. Buddy actually gets up and leaves the room when he lets one go. I have not found the milk bones have any effect on him. Luckily it is not a daily occurence for him actually I am the lucky one.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old January 18th, 2005, 10:07 AM
owned by Tucker

I cook for Tucker and I know that certain veggies give him gas. I also give him yogurt in the morning every other day, and cottage cheese on the other days. I don't know if this helps a he doesn't often have stinkies but he does make noises. My last dog was the other way silent but deadly. I never heard a dog fart like Tucker. LOL
Old January 18th, 2005, 10:09 AM
Adopt a senior dog!!

being a boxer and pittie lover, i know all about gas-whew!

the probiotic yogurt with the active enzymes helps with gas (i like Activia cuz i eat it too) don't just get plain yogurt cuz that won't do anything. just a table spoon on top of his kibble should help. if not you may need to change foods, even a good quality food can cause gas in certain dogs.

pumpkin is good for firming up loose stools (i know lots about loose stools cuz i feed my dogs raw! whew!) but too much pumpkin will do the opposite. just a tablespoon is enough.

good luck, heehee
BoxerRescueQuebec.com
Old January 20th, 2005, 02:07 AM

Just too funny!!!

Here I thought I had the only dog that was "silent but deadly!" LOL! Our Cocker Spaniel gets bad gas from lapping up any bird food that gets tossed to the floor. They are silent but you always know when he has let one go because he has got to be the only dog I have ever seen turn and sniff his own butt! LOL! Then you know to stay clear!
Old January 20th, 2005, 07:58 AM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

My first Rotti, Jesse, would get instant "liver farts" if she was given some KFC chicken livers. At the time I was running a small airport and she stayed there with me all day. On the first of each month I was always swamped trying to get the bills paid & statements out and did not need or want to be bothered so on this day I stopped at KFC on my way back from the bank. All I had to do was walk in holding a KFC bag & I was left alone.
People learn quick when motivated.
Old January 20th, 2005, 11:15 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
All I had to do was walk in holding a KFC bag & I was left alone.
Rofl!

I had a foster pit bull who came to me in a quite a starved condition. Once she started eating, she had gas that would wilt flowers. She also had a cunning sense of humour. When she would feel a toot coming on, she would get up from wherever and come sit next to me and let go while looking at me from the corner of her eye waiting for my reaction.

When I said the Milkbones were "deadly" I didn't mean dangerous!! It was in reply to Sneaky's post - that Milkbones can cause gas. Sorry if it was misunderstood!
Old January 20th, 2005, 03:01 PM
banned user

Ohhhhh!!! Okay, now he can finish the box, glad to hear they're not deadly... I still won't be buying anymore because since I stopped them, he hasn't had any gas! Well, that I smelled anyway.... he just loves them so much so I will let him finish them and find something new for treats. Thanks!
Old January 20th, 2005, 04:57 PM
Senior Contributor

I'll never forget the Daisy was curled with her nose under her butt, half-asleep. I heard her "go off", as it were, and she jerked her head up with a look of horror! I laughed at her for "crapping on herself" and told her it served her right for always letting loose on us (especially when I'm in the truck with her). She just sat up and blinked indignantly for about 15 minutes!
Old January 20th, 2005, 07:21 PM

Rawhide and Peanut Butter both gave Gabby REALLY bad gas!! She doesn't get either anymore.

Someone here said give my dog pumpkin for diarrhea once, but all it did was lead to orange diarrhea.
Old January 20th, 2005, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjgeonerd
Rawhide and Peanut Butter both gave Gabby REALLY bad gas!! She doesn't get either anymore.

Someone here said give my dog pumpkin for diarrhea once, but all it did was lead to orange diarrhea.

Pumpkin should be used for constipation.

Ever wonder why a large Thanksgiving feast is followed by pumpkin pie?

Tradition, maybe...common sense...most likely.
Old January 20th, 2005, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwinn
I'll never forget the Daisy was curled with her nose under her butt, half-asleep. I heard her "go off", as it were, and she jerked her head up with a look of horror! I laughed at her for "crapping on herself" and told her it served her right for always letting loose on us (especially when I'm in the truck with her). She just sat up and blinked indignantly for about 15 minutes!
Lmsao! The first time Ciara farted it scared the mud outta her!...she ran around..tooting away, trying to escape the evil gasous cloud...of course stress brings it on more! After I picked myself up off of the floor I had to open windows! She has only farted twice more since, she is not like my Jesse at all, to Jesse, farting was an art!
Old January 20th, 2005, 08:11 PM

the first time my mom's dog farted it was pretty loud and he was laying on the sofa and shot straight up and looked at us like what was that?
so far i'v never heard or smelled candi fart.

Candi- Italian Greyhound
Cash- Italian Greyhound
Jasmine- Tabby cat
Old January 20th, 2005, 08:35 PM
Senior Contributor

Den-Den doesn't have a problem, but he sure gets indignant if hubby lets it rip when Den-Den's under the covers! I know dogfood has been discussed at length on this forum, but I haven't seen Milkbones discussed before. What's better, Milkbones or Vitabones? I get the multi-flavor Vitabones for Den-Den and he loves them.
Old January 20th, 2005, 09:57 PM
banned user

Glass, is that like dentabone?
Okay, if I shouldn't give him the milkbones, and don't have the time to make treats, what's the best thing for treats to give? The milkbones were big and I always broke them up.... I'd still like something small to give him. Any ideas?
Old January 20th, 2005, 10:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Vitabones look similar to Milkbones and come in a similar box. When I buy them, I dump them into a tall, glass refrigerator jar which sits on the dish cabinet. I don't still have the box to look at the ingredients. Den-Den goes to the jar and woofs whenever guests have left or when we've come home from visiting because he knows - good boys get treat-bones! He'll stand under the jar and woofs until he gets one.
Old January 20th, 2005, 11:08 PM
And Zoodle's Mom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyRescue
she had gas that would wilt flowers.
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA oh that is good!
Old January 20th, 2005, 11:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Ok, been doing some searching and found this site that lists VitaBone ingredients. I notice corn is the 5th ingredient. What do you all think? I give Den-Den the "flavors".

http://www.anibrands.com/vitabone/