Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old October 9th, 2018, 03:28 PM

Dog not taking to house training.

We recently adopted a 1-year old pup from a shelter, and we've been having trouble with her doing her business in the house.

She was a stray before she was brought to the shelter, so at first we thought that she just wasn't used to holding her bladder and that she would just need to practice. However, she doesn't have a problem holding it. She can go 8-10+ hours at night without any accidents. We don't think it's fear, as she's not very meek or nervous around us. We've tried crate training and umbilical training, and she's gotten better, but she still has fairly frequent accidents, with both urinating and defecating. Right now we're taking here out every few hours, but our schedules can get busy and we won't always be able to maintain such frequent walks.

I've checked her medical history provided from her checkups in the shelter. She doesn't seem to have any conditions or issues.

Does anyone have any idea of why she's still having accidents, and any advice for correcting her?

Thanks in advance.
Old October 9th, 2018, 07:15 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Welcome!!
I hate to say it but back to basics. Out every 2 hours regardless of pup going or not. Have a treat handy for when she does go. Praise praise and praise again if they go...return inside. Out again in 2 hours. Once you have success extend the time frame but still reward.
You will see how quickly they learn. I would say after success limit the intake of water in the evening so that you can extend how long they hold it in the evening.
If you cant do this then they must be tied to you so that when they show signs of needing to go you can take them out immediately. Again praise so they learn its good what they did.
Also crating a dog can help as well but be sure to not allow enough room for them to go do their business on the other side of the the crate. They should have enough room to stand up turn around and lay down., anything extra can be blocked off with a laundry basket or something like that.

Hope this helps.
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old October 21st, 2018, 08:14 AM
Senior Contributor

I agree, back to basics, treat her as you would an 8 week old puppy. AT that age we were sometimes out every 15 minutes. Any little thing that could raise excitement levels warranted a trip outside, so, Up in the morning -outside, Breakfast - outside, Play - outside, Someone rang the doorbell - outside and so on.

What do you do when you find an accident inside?

I found mine needed to spend a few minutes outside walking around first before they would pee or poop.

Have you instilled a word that means potty? Be careful to only use it, when training it, while they are performing the action. My words are Hurry Up and Finish. I can say them now to tell my boy what I want him to do but when he was learning this I only said them while he was doing them, then lots of praise, GOOD BOY, GOOD HURRY UP. The neighours love this. LOL.

Tags
dog, house training