Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Kitten health

Old August 4th, 2016, 05:02 PM

3 week old kitten with bleeding bum

I am fostering a kitten. I have had him since he was 4 days old. He is now 3 and a half weeks old. For the last couple of weeks I notice there is a little bit of bleeding on his anus when I help him eliminate. I took him the the vet for a check up when he was a little over a week old and she said everything was fine and didn't seem concerned about his bum. I was just told to put vaseline on it which I do but it doesn't seem to stop his bum from bleeding.I called the vets office again to tell them that his bum is still bleeding and they said it was common with constapation but I don't think he is constipated he goes several times a day and it is a yellow brown color and not hard but not runny either. He is eating kmr not the powdered kind the ready made.The vet did give me worm medication for him and said I could use it at 2 weeks but said she had never used it on a kitten that young so I am a little apprehensive about using it. Also when I make him go poop it seems like it hurts him. Does anyone know what it could be. He is eating and sleeping and playing and acting normal and gaining weight. Even though the vet doesn't think it's anything I am still concerned.
Old August 4th, 2016, 06:50 PM
Senior Contributor

I wonder if worms can be the cause of the bleeding , has the kitten been wormed yet ?

http://www.cat-world.com.au/Cat-Heal...g-in-cats.html

I found this link and it said hookworms can cause bleeding there are other reason too . Who are fostering the kitten for, did you call the place too?
Old August 5th, 2016, 11:23 AM

Hi lovemykitties - welcome to the forum !

I've just sent you a message.
Old August 5th, 2016, 01:37 PM

hello there lovemykitties:

welcome to the forum. love to see a photo of your wee one.

I've had some experience with our BB. She's a rumpy Manx cat. She's had rectal problems from the time that I got her some 8 years ago. Consequently we've had blood spots all in places occasionally. Her problem seems to run in cycles. She'll have a couple of bad days, and then perhaps 3 weeks later, it will flare up again.

This problem that I'm dealing with is known as an "anal fissure". We did the vet route and he prescribed "Zinc Oxide" ointment to be "painted on" a couple of times a day. I went to the drug store to pick up the Zinc Oxide, and my pharmacist looked at me kind of strange and asked what I'd be using it for. I told him what the application would be for, with the cat, and he said that he'd make up a special formula ointment that they use for babies, which is 6% castor oil in Zinc Oxide ointment and to be applied lightly with a q-tip. No need for a diaper change.

I have been doing this pretty well continuously with her ever since and it helps in the healing process and keeps the scar tissue soft and pliable.

After breakfast every day, she comes to get a brushing, and I apply the ointment at this time. She actually looks for it. She's quite the kitty to want a brushing. There doesn't seem to be any pain from the fissure. And it's not always bloody.

The different vets I have spoken to about it seem to think this is a good solution and the suggestion is not to operate due to the possibility of nerve damage that could cause problems with the kitty being able to control her bowels.

In regards to the issue you are having regarding the worm preparation. Did the vet do a fecal float to determine if worms were a problem. Personally, I am of the same mind that you are - this is a harsh treatment for a kitty of that age without knowing exactly what you are treating.

Also, our BB does have problems pooping from time to time. Not so much since I put her on RestoraLAX, which is a polyethylene glycol. I use 1/32 of a tsp, in her food, twice a day, and I feed raw, which seems to be enough to ease some of the discomfort and keep the stool relatively soft. BB weighs about more or less 9 pounds.

These are some of the things that I am using to relieve the situation at hand.

Don't know if any of this info is of value to you, but the Zinc Oxide might be something to check into with your vet.