Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Kitten health

Old July 15th, 2014, 05:14 PM

Kitten - 10 Weeks - Hadn't pooped since Sunday

Good Afternoon,
I am a new cat mommy. I picked up my beautiful calico on Sunday afternoon and brought her home. I introduced her to everything and she has been staying in my room and the spare room (which are connected). I have been feeding her wet food with a little weaning milk (the woman I got her from was feeding her the weaning milk so I didn't want to remove it completely) mixed in (Monday morning, tuesday morning and today when I got home.) I have also added some dry food with the weaning milk mixed in and she has devoured most/all of it for the past two days.

And hasn't pooped. She is still running around - jumping - playing and doesn't seem to be in any pain - purring loudly. But for such a small kitty to eat so much and not poop? So I am naturally concerned - she has had her first round of shots at 7 weeks but should I be extremely concerned she hasn't pooped yet? I am trying to get her in for her first vet appointment tomorrow.

I should mention she has peed four times (three - successfully, in the litter box and once on my bed - oops).

Any advice would be welcome.
Old July 16th, 2014, 07:33 AM
Senior Contributor

I'd Vet or at least make a phone call but they will most likely want you to bring her in.

What kind of litter are you using? Kittens will try to eat or taste new things, just like human kids and puppies. Clumping clay litter can cause a blockage if they eat it.

Are you sure you just didn't find some wee little poopers in a place they aren't supposed to be? They're pretty small. A bit of loose stool and diarrhoea can make them look like pee spots in the litter too.

Oh, wait, she's 10 weeks old, mixed it up for 7 weeks. At 10 weeks I was rather amazed how big some poopers were from my kittens. Not so little.
Old July 16th, 2014, 10:57 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Yup little hidden poopers would not surprise me one bit.
But if you don't find any, a vet visit is always safest of course and a week without pooping might cause additional problems.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter