Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old July 27th, 2013, 01:10 PM

what size of crate is best?

OK well Nyx hasn't been crated since she was 3 months during the day other then when she was about 6 months for a week as she went through a quick lets chew things when we weren't home. Reason for not keeping her crated is i had the crate in my room( which is in the basement) for night time crating. Porsche our older dog had separation anxiety and would pee on her bed, so we starting leaving Nyx out n no pee on the dog bed.
so now back to my question what size of dog crate should i use for Nyx, I am tired of having to fight with Nyx to get out the door and if i give her a long chew treat she wont touch it for 2 weeks. she 25 1/2 inches at her shoulders now, so not sure if i should go with a 2-x large metal kennel or just a x-large metal kennel. I rather not have a kennel that is to large for her.
I also think this will help my mother out when I am not home and she can put Nyx in the kennel when I leave and she can bring Nyx out again after i leave.
Old July 27th, 2013, 02:47 PM
Senior Contributor

The crate should big enough for your dog to stand up and turn around in it. and you should take your dog collar off when leaving him along in the crate. When I got a crate for my Standard Poodle the crate came with a warning to not leave your dog in the crate with it collar on.
Old July 27th, 2013, 04:47 PM

i know about the collar part.. ok heres a question cause how does this measurement go. lol is it height, length width. i having a total brain fart today and can't think of it right now.
(48 in. x 29.5 in. x 32 in.)

only thing going in the kennel is her blanket her stuffy rotty that she had since a pup doesnt chew on in just cuddles it and her.
Old July 27th, 2013, 06:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottysrule View Post
i know about the collar part.. ok heres a question cause how does this measurement go. lol is it height, length width. i having a total brain fart today and can't think of it right now.
(48 in. x 29.5 in. x 32 in.)

only thing going in the kennel is her blanket her stuffy rotty that she had since a pup doesnt chew on in just cuddles it and her.
Can you bring your dog with you when buy the crate so the salesperson can see how big your dog is? Did you look on line for dog crate by weight or breed of dog ? how big will your dog get?
I have a small and brought a crate to carry him when I first got him.. I put Marty in the crate and locked the door and picked the crate by the handle and the door flew open and my dog jumped out ! '
I was so lucky this happen inside my house and not outside. The design of the crate was horrible. The crate was held together by plastic flaps and the weight of Marty dog pulled the flaps apart .

Last edited by Barkingdog; July 27th, 2013 at 06:54 PM.
Old July 28th, 2013, 12:39 AM

well i think she has done growing tall wise she might fill outwards a bit but not to much as she is a mix breed. the x-large kennel online says for 90 lbs and the 2-x is for 110 lbs and Nyx is 100 last time i took her to get weighed.
i would love to take her but not a lot of places in my small town that sell the kennels are a nice price that allow dogs to come in. might go up to a grooming place near my place that does sell a few kennels n stuff for dogs.

i am looking at another metal crate kennel for her.. and i usually go by weigh or even height. as i didn't even think to look up by breed.

being a rottweiler mix and her beating what they average standard female rotty max height and she beats the height for the other mixes to..
Old July 28th, 2013, 08:27 AM
Senior Contributor

I am not a fan of crates for long term storage of dogs. Dog crates sized so your dog can do no more than stand up, turn around and lie down would be banned at most zoos.

If you are only worried about her trying to bolt out the door when you leave then I suggest a heavy duty dose of training in manners for that dog. Failing that (though you should do that anyway ) can you not simply shut her in a room and Then your mother lets her out?

If she is going to be crated for more than a few hours then I would get the biggest crate I possibly could. Large enough for her to stretch out two times over so when one spot gets hot from her body heat she can move to a cool spot.

What I did when mine were puppies was put the crate, with the door open, in a big pen we built or in our gated kitchen. Warning, gating in a room may expose that room to considerable damage as dogs might eat costly hardwood cupboard doors, chew through drywall and even badly injure themselves. However we did not have any of that.

We made our own gates, they are much sturdier and higher than any baby gate you could ever buy and I suggest you go this way, if you do at all, with a dog as big and powerful as a Rottie. My dog is a Lab, those gates are still up, they are handy for containing Mr. Muscles while he dries off after a swim.
Old July 28th, 2013, 10:33 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longblades View Post
I am not a fan of crates for long term storage of dogs. Dog crates sized so your dog can do no more than stand up, turn around and lie down would be banned at most zoos.

If you are only worried about her trying to bolt out the door when you leave then I suggest a heavy duty dose of training in manners for that dog. Failing that (though you should do that anyway ) can you not simply shut her in a room and Then your mother lets her out?

If she is going to be crated for more than a few hours then I would get the biggest crate I possibly could. Large enough for her to stretch out two times over so when one spot gets hot from her body heat she can move to a cool spot.

What I did when mine were puppies was put the crate, with the door open, in a big pen we built or in our gated kitchen. Warning, gating in a room may expose that room to considerable damage as dogs might eat costly hardwood cupboard doors, chew through drywall and even badly injure themselves. However we did not have any of that.

We made our own gates, they are much sturdier and higher than any baby gate you could ever buy and I suggest you go this way, if you do at all, with a dog as big and powerful as a Rottie. My dog is a Lab, those gates are still up, they are handy for containing Mr. Muscles while he dries off after a swim.
If a crate is big enough for a dog to stand up and turn around it's big enough to stretch out in. My Standard Poodle could stand up turn around and
stretch out in his crate. Marty is using the crate now and has plenty of room in it.
Old July 28th, 2013, 11:14 AM

the longest Nyx would ever be in a crate/kennel is maybe 2 hours at times. we are working on training with her big time right now. but she will only listen to me, she will sit for someone and what not but that far and few unless they have treats..
Nyx doesn't mind a kennel/crate( or whatever you want to call it) she will go in her buddy kennel at times and actually sleep there.
Nyx wont clear a baby gate over even try and go through one. that be said *knocks on wood* she got a scare as a pup but bumping into one n it crashed down so she not a fan of trying to knock them over. she can easily clear one if she so choose