Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Senior cats

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 4th, 2014, 11:02 PM
lindapalm lindapalm is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 717
Nosebleeds in a cat

Do cats get nosebleeds in dry winter air like humans? Our cat is on two different blood pressure meds for two months now, and today she sneezed out blood droplets in two different places. I checked out the side effects of her meds, and nose bleeding isn't one of them. None of my other cats have ever done this, but I'm not sure if it is common. I hate to take her to the vet and get her stirred up if its not necessary.
Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2014, 04:13 AM
marko's Avatar
marko marko is offline
Administrator - Pet lover
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Montreal Quebec Canada
Posts: 12,651
Here's a general articles on nosebleeds in cats....

I Guess it's possible it's due to dry air..hmmmm

I'd likely keep an eye on it for 24 hours but I would also call my vet to see if the cat needs to be brought in immediately. If it's a 1 time thing, it's different than if it's a continuing thing.

My cats are indoor cats so they rarely get into trouble, but if your cat is an outdoor cat....lots of additional reasons this may have happened.

Good luck!
Please tactfully EDUCATE or IGNORE posters you don't agree with.
Please PM me & Include URLs and post #'s for any issues and it's my pleasure to help.
I'm firm - but fair. Mind the Rules and enjoy your stay.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2014, 10:22 AM
lindapalm lindapalm is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 717
Thanks Marko for the article, it did mention high blood pressure, which she has, so its possible that's causing it. You would think that it would have happened before she went on the meds, not after. I'm not sure if waiting is smart, but I think I'm going to wait and see if it happens again. She has to go in January to have her pressure retested, if it happens again he'll have to get her in earlier. Just hope I'm making the right decision.
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Terms of Use

  • All Bulletin Board Posts are for personal/non-commercial use only.
  • Self-promotion and/or promotion in general is prohibited.
  • Debate is healthy but profane and deliberately rude posts will be deleted.
  • Posters not following the rules will be banned at the Admins' discretion.
  • Read the Full Forum Rules

Forum Details

  • Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
    Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
    vBulletin Optimisation by vB Optimise (Reduced on this page: MySQL 0%).
  • All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:05 PM.