Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old July 29th, 2004, 01:46 PM

Unhappy dog is going to be put down

i went to the vet with my dog brandy and they say that she is going to be put down shes gonna be put down around mid august i feel so sad
Old July 29th, 2004, 01:56 PM

Can you tell us more about your dog? How old? What is the problem with your dog?

Heather
Old July 29th, 2004, 03:28 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

This is the dog that you were concerned about that was coughing? The one that your family wanted to 'wait' to take to see your 'aunt' as a vet in the states?

So now why being PTS? And why in August? I'm confused.
Old July 29th, 2004, 04:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh no,why? Vet-bills too expensive for your dad?
I can imagine how sad you must be,but please tell us more...maybe there is a solution
Old July 30th, 2004, 07:23 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevem
hi my dog ocaasionaly coughs and even sneezes but rarely. She is a shi-tzue (im a horrible speller lol), she is 12 in human years but she shows no signs of being sick. I am worried if she might be ill or even worse, suffering. please help because my dad wants to bring her to a vet and im worried that the dog may have to be put down.
This is the dog that is being put down for a cough!??!? If your dog is 12 in HUMAN years - it's a year and a half in dog years?!?!? This cough does warrant a vet visit, but your "aunt" is your vet and she lives in the States? I am confused. Why would you go to the states for a cough? Can you tape record the cough and play if for her over the phone? If it really is your aunt I'm sure you can talk to her over the phone and maybe even for free!!!
This sounds VERY fishy!!!!
Old July 30th, 2004, 09:09 AM
Senior Contributor

A cough is not unusual in an elderly dog. Congestive heart failure is one possibility, but it can be treated. My previous dog lived to be 18 and was on meds for it. He had a good quality of life with it also. It could be something else. If your aunt is a vet, I would think she'd be on the phone asking you all kinds of questions and trying to help your dog and you. Vets become vets because they love animals and want to help them! And if money is a problem, I'm sure your aunt could help with the medications. I'm sure she doesn't pay full retail price for them. Something doesn't sound right to me here. Have you spoken personally to your aunt?
Old July 30th, 2004, 09:12 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasslass
A cough is not unusual in an elderly dog. Congestive heart failure is one possibility, but it can be treated. My previous dog lived to be 18 and was on meds for it.
Lass, I am very confused!!! I don't know if this dog is OLD!!! He did say 12 in human years.. why would he specify HUMAN years??!?!!
Old July 30th, 2004, 09:26 AM

I'm really confused!

What kind of cough are we talking about? Is it "productive" (does phlem come up)? Is it dry, hacking? Or does it sound like the dog is trying to bring up something he's choking on? If it's not productive, I'd have the vet check his trachea. A friend's dog has a chronic cough because she has a weak trachea. She's a constant barker, which irritates her throat and so she's perpetually coughing. That's not something to destroy an animal for!!
Old July 30th, 2004, 09:31 AM
Senior Contributor

W4F: Here's the original thread - this might clear up some of your confusion - mind you I read it, but I still don't get it

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=5473
Old July 30th, 2004, 12:39 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm just guessing they mean 12 actual years, not dog years. Like 1 human year = 7 dog years. Actually, I've always thought the 1st 2 human years were more like 12 dog years each. Then each human year after that equal to 5 dog years. So 12 human years would be the equivalent of 74 dog years.
Old July 30th, 2004, 01:00 PM

ok my dog hs wet lungs and hert failure and no we can afford the medication
Old July 30th, 2004, 01:40 PM

Steven, why in August???

I feel very bad for you that your family has to go through this. It sounds like you are doing what is best for the dog.

Heather and her 3 Golden Girls
Old July 30th, 2004, 01:42 PM
banned user

At the risk of being assaulted for saying this.....I detect the strong odor of Kibbles here........
Old July 30th, 2004, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Writing4Fun
I'm really confused!

What kind of cough are we talking about? Is it "productive" (does phlem come up)? Is it dry, hacking? Or does it sound like the dog is trying to bring up something he's choking on? If it's not productive, I'd have the vet check his trachea. A friend's dog has a chronic cough because she has a weak trachea. She's a constant barker, which irritates her throat and so she's perpetually coughing. That's not something to destroy an animal for!!
Please do not make this person feel worse than he already does!! For cripes sake! You are not a vet, nor are you privy to this persons vet records. If you ask more questions nicely, he will answer. Have more compassion please. To say that he is "destroying" his pet, is not called for without knowing more facts.

Old July 30th, 2004, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Flower
At the risk of being assaulted for saying this.....I detect the strong odor of Kibbles here........

Are you kidding! I always get sucked in! At any rate, the person above was still out of line for what they said!!!!!!!!!

However, IF it is not kibbles, we should not be unsympathetic. This person, if real, is coming here looking for some sympathy and comfort, not ridicule.

It sounds like the dog has fluid on its lungs and heart failure, which may be correct. His spelling just isn't the greatest

Heather
Old July 30th, 2004, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenmom
Please do not make this person feel worse than he already does!! For cripes sake! You are not a vet, nor are you privy to this persons vet records. If you ask more questions nicely, he will answer. Have more compassion please. To say that he is "destroying" his pet, is not called for without knowing more facts.

I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to make this person feel worse. I was actually angry with the vet for immediately calling for the dog to be PTS. I wasn't suggesting that the owner was at fault! I was actually trying to make the person feel better by telling them about a friend with a dog with what sounds like a similar problem and the dog is fine! And I didn't think my questions were mean - I just wanted to know if the dog had any of these symptoms. Believe me! I know what it feels like to have a dog PTS and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy! Sorry to offend anyone!
Old July 30th, 2004, 02:13 PM
Senior Contributor

With congestive heart failure, the heart becomes enlarged and crowds the lungs, resulting in the sensation of needing to cough. A heart murmur is also common with resulting leakages of fluid through the heart valve. Diuretics can help control this.
Old August 5th, 2004, 01:32 PM

understanding

Hi stevenm,

I understand at this point in your life you cannot afford the best medical care for your dog. If he is suffering and you can't get help from your aunt, the vet, or friends,family, ect and if your conscience permits euthanizing your dog, well, then,, maybe it's best.

No one said dealing with a very sick pet was easy. We just love animals too! We did have another short discussion on another section of this board that discussed how much people were willing to pay to prolong their pets lives.

I am not working right now (by choice-medical) and understand that people may not have enough money as it is. For example I have depresion,anxiety, and super high blood pressure controlled with 2 types of artery relaxing meds,,, my job consists of taking minimum 160 call per day for a railway reservation call center( ex a customers trip may be montreal to vancouver for 6000.00 canadian dollars).I don't want to make a mistake! That is very stressing. So I took time off. I've been there for 6 years and got my dogs about 5 years ago. I never would have though i'd be ill myself this young (37).

My mother died of heart failure at 51, I don't want to go there.

So I can understand that when you got the dog your life was different. Your commitment was much more potent. I would never want you to make yourself sick and I understand your love and caring for your pet. I mean, it must be a horrendously guilt inducing decision to euthanize. Take one day at a time. Make the decision when you get to that day. Put it off if you need to. If it were me I'd just make sure my pet was comfortable and pain free had good fresh food, vitamins, excersize, and love until I made a choice for him.

Good luck and God bless you both.
Laurie