Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Books

Old September 6th, 2006, 09:41 AM
Senior Contributor

I like mysteries as well. If it could only be one author, I would have to go with Robin Cook. But I really enjoy Kathy Reichs, Patricia Cornwell, and a lot of others.
Old September 20th, 2006, 08:42 PM
Retriever Fever

If I had to choose only one I would have to pick James Herriot. His books are such a pleasure to read. When I visited England I actually took a tour of the Yorkshire Dales that featured all of the sites that were made famous through his stories, including James Alfred Wight's (the author's real name) actual veterinary practice - old fashioned apocathary and all!! It was fabulous!!
Old November 27th, 2006, 08:20 PM

Lucy Maud Montgomery for sure, I read my first Anne book when i was 9 and I am still reading it 14 years later.
Old February 2nd, 2007, 09:32 PM
Learning fast

I always have at least 2 books on me. My all time fav's well i like Evanovich and Grafton for light reading, Colin Bateman, Christopher Brookmyre is great, Hiaasen I have read everything he has done, along with Elmore leanord, Pellecanos is also a good read, but I have all his, just finished reading a nice 4 set from Stephen Woodworth, well worth the time. Oh and Lee Child I can't put down, read all of Critons stuff aswell. There are so many out there, Mike Gayle, Barrowcliffe. Oh man I could go on, but I never seem to remember all the names. I would pick up anything by the above authors without hesitation. I pick up boxes of books at farm and estate sales so I never get to read the newest titles but untill 10 years ago I NEVER read a single book, in school or out. So now I'm hooked, couldn't get into King, or Cornwell but that was a while ago so I may have another go, james Herbert never did it for me.
OH Douglas Preston and Lincon Childs is superb, I would never have brought the book looking at the cover but I got one on audiotape and I was hooked.
Old February 2nd, 2007, 09:36 PM
Half Way To Crazy

I think i would have to say barbara erskine, diana gabaldon there are other but these are my favorite
Old February 2nd, 2007, 09:55 PM

The Riddle of the Wren by Charles de Lint , he's an interesting author, this was my favorite that he wrote, the rest of his collection is interesting, but not as cool. This book is not in circulation anymore and someone stole it from the special collections library.

Stephen King, of course, I've read almost all of his books. My favorite, It, It scared the heck out of me, I swear I was freaked out about the sinks and bathtubs. Scary book, but I've never liked clowns much.

Kathleen O'neal Gear and W. Michael Gear, (They wrote books sort of like Jean Auel), I only really poured over one of their books, People of the Masks. I find the rest are too archealogically based and there just isn't enough mysticism. This one I highly reccommend, it's the best of theirs that I've read.

Terry McMillan, I just like the modern way that she writes.

Right now I'm working on the Lemony Snickett books, I enjoy them, I like a good mystery, they're a bit wordy, but I just skip all the parts he tells you to put the book down.
Old February 8th, 2007, 06:56 PM
Remembering Lukka

Can I bring the works of the Bronte sisters? If I have to pick one sister it would be Charlotte Bronte. I could read Jane Eyre over and over.
Old March 27th, 2007, 01:33 PM

my favorite author is Chrystine Brouillet. I also love Marie Laberge. Both have a very good vocabulary used and their characters are more real than reality. I don't know if what i'm saying makes any sense.... BTW they are french-canadian authors.
Old March 27th, 2007, 03:20 PM
Animal Lover

Mine would be Tad Williams. Especially Memory, Sorrow and Thorn series. Or Terry Brooks Shanarra Series.

The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue.
-Anonymous
Old April 4th, 2007, 12:30 PM
Furball Farmer

Quote:
I have book a read called "shes come undone"... i cant think of the author but I enjoyed two of her books... I loved Shes come undone!

I remember books more then authors... Lovely bones is another one. Awesome book.
Wally Lamb wrote She's Come Undone, and Alice Sebold wrote The Lovely Bones. I have them both

I have almost all the Joy Fielding books as well as Maeve Binchy. I tend to read books very quick and Maeve Binchy books are thick and last me awhile longer.
When I was little I loved Nancy Drew and just recently found an author who writes similar. Her name is Kate White and her books are " grown up" versions of Nancy Drew books.
In fact one review she got was " Nancy Drew meets Cosmopolitan."
So if your looking for a good "chick book" this would be a great series to get into lol.
Old April 4th, 2007, 02:47 PM
Boss-lady!

I just checked, and my store has 2 books by Kate White. I'll have to give them a read soon.

I think I'd probably take all the Stephen King books if I had only one author to pick. Not only do I enjoy them, but that's some serious page volume there!

"You can't have a good day in bad underwear"- Fruit of the Loom ad
Old April 4th, 2007, 03:59 PM
Senior Contributor

Tom Venuto's book is a total #1
Old May 3rd, 2007, 12:01 PM

my favorite author is Stephen King i love scary stories
Old May 13th, 2007, 01:07 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm following the rules here. Stranded right? This isnt' just asking who is your favorite but asking if you were STRANDED and could bring them all. I'll say Rex Stout because he was just so prolific. So I'll bring all his Nero Wolfe mysteries. That will keep me busy until I learn how to make fire and fish with my bare hands and do my own dental work with skates that wash up on the beach.
Old May 13th, 2007, 03:23 PM
Senior Contributor

I love mystery-books,Jonathan Kellerman,Faye Kellerman and John Sandford are my absolute favorites.
John Grisham is ok too..
Old May 14th, 2007, 12:56 PM
Agility addict

If I was on a desert island, it would be Steven Erickson hands down. I could live in the worlds he creates (makes tolkien look shallow) If I could pick another one it would be Greg Bear or Robert Sawyer
Old July 28th, 2008, 03:38 PM

JD ROBB...and Nora Roberts...(both the same person)
But I have to find something new as I am at the point I have to wait for her new books...read them all
Anybody read the TWILIGHT books?
Old July 28th, 2008, 03:46 PM
Molly's mama

This is wayy too difficult of a decision. I am a huge bookworm! I love John Irving's books too! Lately I have been getting in to Phillipa Gregory books (The Other Boleyn Girl, the Boleyn Inheritance) but I also tend to read a lot of Jodi Picoult.
Old July 28th, 2008, 04:54 PM

v.c. andrews are the best
Old July 28th, 2008, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollywog View Post
This is wayy too difficult of a decision. I am a huge bookworm! I love John Irving's books too! Lately I have been getting in to Phillipa Gregory books (The Other Boleyn Girl, the Boleyn Inheritance) but I also tend to read a lot of Jodi Picoult.
I was surprised that no one had mentioned dear Jodi!
I just finished Nineteen minutes (in two days - great vacay read!). I find once you read a few you get to know the structure pretty well, I think I've read 5 or 6. But once you start you really CANNOT put them down!!!

I also like Margaret Atwood (I know she's not everyone's cup of tea), Mark Haddon, Anne Marie MacDonald (if you haven't read Fall on Your Knees, do do do!), Chuck Palahniuk, Roald Dahl, and right now I'm in the middle of Janet Fitch's Paint it Black- she wrote White Oleander which was made into a really good movie with Michelle Pfeiffer (sp??) and Renee Zellwegger a few years ago. Ok don't get me started on books, those of you who have looked at my profile and know what I do for a living.....

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." -Unknown

Mom to:
Sola: 18 month old black lab/malamute
Luna: 2 year old Siberian Husky (rescue)
Millie: 2.5 year old tabby (rescue)
Layla: ?? year old calico (rescue)

Former mom to (RIP):
Nicole: Maine Coon cat 1985-1999
Poncho: Degu
Bibi: Degu
Josette: St. Bernard, childhood pet
Old July 28th, 2008, 05:38 PM
ROCK ON!!

Bernard Cornwell is hands down my all time favorite. I highly recommend any of his books. David Gemmell is pretty awesome too.
Old July 31st, 2008, 08:44 PM

Douglas Preston/Lincoln Child collaborated novels, Richard Preston(Douglas' brother) Dark Biology Series, Alex Kava, Nevada Barr.

I know what you mean SolaMio, I worked in a library for 7 years, and my mother retired from 20 years as head of our branch. The list of favorites could go on forever if I wanted to.

In Memory: Spot, Reese, Scrunk, and Nikki - always in my heart
Old November 5th, 2008, 08:07 PM
Compromised account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness' mom View Post
JD ROBB...and Nora Roberts...(both the same person)
But I have to find something new as I am at the point I have to wait for her new books...read them all
Anybody read the TWILIGHT books?
I did! AMAZING!

I know, I know, I am late, as usual!

I would absolutely bring Sergei Lukyanenko. Anything and everything. He is not a known writer in this part of the world, but if any of you saw the russian movie Night Watch, he is the writer. The whole series of Night Watch, Day Watch, Twilight Watch and Last Watch is just amazing. And then there are endless stories and short novels by him, that are just amazing.
He writes in the Schi-fi genre, but I love his work. Look him up if it interests you!
Old November 5th, 2008, 08:15 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

hands down Patricia Cornwell or Anne Rice...
Old November 5th, 2008, 10:30 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan View Post
hands down Patricia Cornwell or Anne Rice...
ABSOLUTELY! My two top favorites, too.

Dracko (GSD) male - 2000 - 31/02/2011 RIP my boy
Mochie (Balinese X/feline) female - 1994 - 07/01/2010 RIP my sweetie
Ginkgo (Siamese X/feline) female - 6 years
Smitty (long-haired white/feline) male - 5 years
Teiya (Ragdoll x/feline) female - 3 years
Kinsey (Ragdoll x/feline) female - 3 years

DON’T BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER PETS DIE!
Old November 5th, 2008, 10:35 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracko View Post
ABSOLUTELY! My two top favorites, too.
have you read the mayfair witches series, sooo good, then got alittle silly. then back to good.
Old November 24th, 2008, 02:47 AM
Obsessed animal lover

I don't know if I have a favourite author but here are ones I do like:

Patricia Cornwell
Morley Callaghan
Jonathan Kellerman
Ed McBain
Greg Iles (not all books)
Sara Paretsky
Agatha Christie
Dashiell Hammett
Raymond Chandler
Old December 15th, 2008, 12:41 AM
Slave to Dogs and 1 Angel

Terry Pratchett

I am surprised no ones mentioned him yet, whilst I read a wide variety of genres and different authors, there is something that is very special about Terry Pratchett. I especially enjoy his philosophical views and various theological ideas. Not to mention the fact that his writing career has spanned decades and there are literally tonnes of books to keep me occupied or entertained.

That aside, if I really was stranded on an island. I would probably want to have books written by Ray Mears.
Old December 15th, 2008, 07:07 AM

Wow...what a group of readers! I love Nora Roberts, Nicholas Sparks (I even loved the movies)....VC Andrews....hmm...a theme? perhaps....i find (especially Nora Roberts) that i can be swept away and tune everything out when I read. Guess thats not a bad thing tho.

OMG The Witches....I haven't read that is soooo long! I do also enjoy JJ Jance...i've only read a couple of the books in the JoAnna Brady series....

Now...I do believe I need to make a trip to the used book store...suddenly in a reading mood!
Old December 15th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Remembering Lukka

I don't have a favorite author. I do pick up books on others recommendations. I heard that The Time Traveler's Wife was quite good. I got it, read the first three chapters and never opened it again. I hated it.