Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old September 11th, 2005, 08:19 PM

Mixed feelings

All of this frenzy surrounding the Katrina aftermath has really left me with mixed feelings. If you go to the Petfinder message boards they are just filled with people offering to foster/adopt/donate to the animals affected by the hurricane. I mean, i think it's great that people are so eager to help the abandoned pets and those that are at risk of being euthanized, but what about the pets that are not the celebrities everyone and everything touched by this hurricane have become? There are high kill shelters all over North America where tons of healthy, wonderful animals are killed daily. Pets are abandoned every day, and every day rescue workers struggle to afford to save their lives.

Beyond being abandoned or euthanized, animals are being tortured and abused in North America constantly. Look at puppy mills. What would it take to get people to care about common, yet horrendous realities concerning animals as much as they do about this hurricane? Why can't we, as humans, rally our passion and support when it comes to things that aren't deemed worthy enough to become a huge media frenzy?

The same thing applies to people..... People are sending money and supplies to these people who have "lost everything", but what about the people who never had anything to begin with? The people who can't afford clothes for their kids or a place to live every day? The whole thing makes me happy, sad, and confused all at the same time. Just wanted to vent a little, i guess
Old September 11th, 2005, 08:31 PM
-

Nothing is completely right with how things are done but as for what is happening with the Katrina disaster, well these people and pets did have homes and families and time is running out for the animals to survive. They survived drowning and are now starving to death. I think for the most part the difference is time. I would like to believe that we do try to help the others that you mentioned.
Old September 11th, 2005, 11:32 PM
Senior Contributor

It will never be "fair" for everyone and all animals. I just think of it this way. If it were Den-Den and Corky out there needing help, I would hope and pray someone would help them if I couldn't. They are so pampered and spoiled. They wouldn't be able to comprehend the situation. How could they survive? Anyone helping my pets would be helping me in the best way possible. When I saw a woman from "Noah's Wish" being interviewed on the news, she said they were caring for the animals and trying to reunite them with their owners. She said they would be available for adoption if the owners couldn't be found after 4 months. Hopefully, the other shelters and agencies will allow more time for these poor pets to be reclaimed by their families.
Old September 11th, 2005, 11:40 PM
-

I would hope that they put together one central registry with all the animals found. A picture, the area or home to which they were found and where they are being cared for. If they have to find out all of the agencies which are holding pets and then search each one it may take longer than the time given to find them.
Old September 12th, 2005, 12:07 AM

I never meant to imply people shouldn't be helping the animal/human victims of the hurricane, nor that things have to be "fair". Maybe the point of my post was missed. I'm glad people are jumping to help these poor animals...but why aren't all of these same people jumping to help the other hundreds of animals who are starved, neglected, or euthanized each day? Their time is limitted, too. I just think it's important to remember that tragedy as great as this strikes other countries all the time, and animals and people face these same hardships (starvation, poverty, euthanization) every day. So when the hurricane Katrina frenzy is over, maybe this same incredible surge of volunteered help and generosity could be directed to events/living creatures the media does not jump on.
Old September 12th, 2005, 04:53 PM
Senior Contributor

excellent post amber, i totally agree. i find it all hard and confusing too. well written aqnd you basically siad what i have been feelin. im glad im not the only one thinking along these lines.

i just hope everyone gets a bit of help eventually, that is not only in this tradgedy but a whole lot more. we must be carful not to forget tradgedy happens everywhere and to all types of ppl and animals, not jsut those places that make the evening news.

again good post and thank you....
Old September 12th, 2005, 05:06 PM
Free The Animals

I can definitely see your point Amber. However most of these Katrina rescues do have families who would like to have them back . I don't understand what the big demand to adopt these stars is either given the huge number of animals already in shelters .